Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Marley and Ninja: Having Their Cake And Drinking It Too! Trip Report - April 2012

User Info Menu

Re: Marley and Ninja: Having Their Cake And Drinking It Too! Trip Report - April 2012

Day5: Wednesday April 25, 2012
    NINJA's 2Cents
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry seems I’ve been the brakes that have put the slow down on the rum cake train.

This day started like most of the days so far in Negril, lack of sleep sounds of crashing waves my lover by my side and fresh crisp air. You ever have one of those days where you were pretty sure you knew how it would end but in the end you realize how perfectly wrong you were. Just goes to show you The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry (thank you, Robert Burns ala John Steinbeck).

The previous days CHICKEN BUS TRIP, left us soooooooo tired so we slept late. Though no real plans aside from the One love bus, I pretty much knew it be a day of drinking and carousing with the usual suspects. The day started off in its usual fashion. One of use would wake first, and usually lay there a bit. Then Shauna would get up and head for breakfast while I did some yoga to keep my back in working shape. I would eventually meet her and Sweetness at breakfast and then the day would progress. Like I said nothing too different. We caught a glimpse of Booper and Jizzy, well actually just Booger it seemed Sandie was still down for the count from their previous nights affairs.. They would be leaving us today to become beach dwellers, in fact they vanished so fast when they went to move we never got a chance to say catch you on the beach, but thats neither here nor there.

Shauna and I usually find ourselves getting scooters so that we can be mobile while in Negril, but with the late entry on Saturday and the events of the next 3 days we figured we could wait till Wednesday to get them...

After breakfast we called up our Scooter guy and made plans to get set up. It was late in the day to really do anything but get the scooters and chill out before the one love bus came to get us so we planned it just like that. The cool thing about the guy we always use for the scooters is he either comes to get us, sends someone to get us or brings the scooters to us. Never a problem always a pleasant encounter. We sailed through the rental and had time to visit with Copper as he took a stroll street side. We needed to get gas before we headed back to the Catcha. I always like the trip up and down the cliff right after the circle. The twists and turns makes me feel like I can do the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs. Shauna always rides infront of me and like the wonderful wife she points out the potholes so will miss them. She always has my safety in mind. I always have a little of a problem around Three DIves turn whether I’m going up the hill or down. Going up I always overcompensate and go wide on the turn (I’ve learned to go pretty slow) and coming down I always undercut it. We parked the choppers by the office and headed to the room to chill. It wasnt going to be long before we had to run back out. Our party pack had checked out in a mad dash but I figured we’d find them later (and the next day we did).

Having only been on the love bus once before in more of the off season it was a little bit of a surprise how many people we managed to cram into that bus. We hit Swordfish and it was my first time there. I really liked the back deck it had a nice view and cool vibe. We got to meet WPYOGI and her +1 and Katho who would be this time forward our token photojournalist along with Sweetie Pie. The back area of swordfish was definitely a nice place to chill and get to know people. We made it over to C&D which I had been to before and I always laugh at how close it is to the road and half the patrons kinda mingle out there. We had our customary Dirty B’s and some more intermingling.

Now let me give you my vibe of Bella Donna’s. It a great place inside and the welcome was astounding. My only real downside was when I went to the bath and felt like I was giving everyone at the bar a nice little bathroom show. The guys bathroom has like this waste long open area. Now I’m not a shy guy but I’m pretty sure no one wants to watch me pee.

Once we all piled back in the bus there was lap sitting and very close quarters. At one moment I tried to sit on Markus’ lap but I think my wife was jealous so I sat on hers instead. Oh well maybe next time Markus. We popped out of Bella Donna’s and head on probably our longest drive up to the Westender. I can’t even put into words how beautiful this place is. I could stay here and just never reach into town. We walked around and got the vibe of the place. I spent along time looking at the bougainvillea adorning the front of the gate and talking to a fellow boardie about the one of the I have in my backyard. I truly love bougainvillea’s they are such a beautiful plant with a very nice long thorn if you dont know. After we enjoyed everything this side of staying at the Westender it was time to go. What? One more stop to watch the sunset. I’ve seen sunsets at sea, on the beach in FL, in the desert of Nevada but the sunsets in Negril they take your breath away. Everyone talks about Rick’s but Sir D’s now thats a spot. Everyone seemed in that sweet spot you hear surfers talk about in that perfect wave. We had good company, good booze and the best sunset ever. Watching the sun go down was the best completion to this bus trip and now for something completely different “Drinking at Catcha”
    Da Ninja - 1st Annual Belly Flop Champ - Soon Come

~Fear accompanies the possibility of Death, Calm shepherds its certainty.

People's actions no longer affect a warrior when he has no more expectations of any kind. A strange peace becomes the ruling force in his life. He has adopted one of the concepts of a warrior's life -- detachment.
    ~from "The Eagle's Gift"~
    blog.ralonzosinclair.com

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Marley and Ninja: Having Their Cake And Drinking It Too! Trip Report - April 2012

For anyone who hasn't been to Sir D's....This is what Ninja is talking about when he mentions the "sweet spot" for sunsets.....

Name:  P1000483.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  91.9 KB

User Info Menu

Re: Marley and Ninja: Having Their Cake And Drinking It Too! Trip Report - April 2012

Great tale of boardies n bus n booze. Sounds like a good combo. I was kind of wondering how everyone faired after the trip to the Pelican and back, sounds like you all recover fairly quickly. Thanks for the great pics and tales. I like how you're including all the boardies in your report. Nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bjritz View Post
    Great tale of boardies n bus n booze. Sounds like a good combo. I was kind of wondering how everyone faired after the trip to the Pelican and back, sounds like you all recover fairly quickly. Thanks for the great pics and tales. I like how you're including all the boardies in your report. Nice.
    It's all about Pedialyte! I now swear by it as it works quite well when used as directed. No, it doesn't work in beer, tried it to an epic fail.

User Info Menu

Day 5 (cont.)

So where were we? Oh....that’s right, we were belly-up at Ivan’s for more drinks and more fun. So we started (much like many other times before) with a round of Dirty Bananas for everyone!

Name:  u.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  80.1 KB

Cheers!

We drank, and talked and laughed....speaking of laughing....this is pretty much how I spent most of my week any time Markus was talking to me.......laughing my butt off! He is one crazy German (and I mean that in a nice way LOL) I believe this is the moment where he confessed to me his love of Whoopie Goldberg!

Name:  u1.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  89.3 KB

Can you imagine any place better to have some drinks and good times with friends? Yeah, me neither

Name:  u4.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  94.4 KB

Around this time.....and God knows what time that actually WAS, we all decided we were quite hungry (drinking can work up quite a hunger of course) and someone then remembered about the invitation extended to us earlier during the pub crawl to join Gerryg and gang at Bentleys. Everyone immediately thought that was a good idea, but no one had his number. We looked at a clock and wondered if they would even still be there, but we decided what the heck, we will try it anyways....and if no one is there, surely we would not go hungry as there are plenty of other options.
    Oh, but first, before we head off for dinner....I suggested that we have a little dessert first! We took the gang back to our room at Sagi and did a round of pineapple upside down cake shots (though they were more like full on drinks at that size....but no one was complaining). Don’t worry, we made sure Markus’ hand stayed far away from any and all fans. Ninja poured one for everybody (Markus and Daisy had already sampled this delicious treat a few days before but for everyone else, this was their first taste) So with full cups and happy faces we all clinked plastic cups and downed the heavenly cake drink! Yum!
    Ok....NOW we are ready for dinner. We headed up to the gate and had the security call us a taxi that would fit everyone (7 of us) Very soon our ride was there and we loaded into the van. We told our driver that the first stop would be at Xtabi (only 2 minutes, that was all we needed for Katho to get her permission slip signed and then we were on our way). Next stop was Bentleys Crab Shack! Of course, our driver had never heard of it and had no idea where it was. The only people in the van who had been before were Guirigay and Sweetie Pie, so GG told the driver what street it was on and we were booking it down West End Drive.....we were all still feeling good and happy, talking and laughing. When I looked up we were passing Canoe! I said Wait! Driver, we passed it. Now I have never been there before but I do know where Pee Wee lane is and I knew we had passed it. So he heads on down almost to the center of town, he turns around at Corner Bar and heads back up, this time we try A WHOLE LOT harder to pay attention so we don’t let him miss the street again. Yay! There it is, and so we turn and head up the lane.....hard to miss the place from the road with all the lights. We stay in the van while GG heads up to see if the gang is still there and if they can accommodate 7 more diners. So of course the answer was yes, and we all get out of the van and head on up to the Crab Shack!
    As we reach upstairs we see Gerryg123, SuzieQ, Wpyogi and +1 who were just finishing up their meals. Bentley greets us all and immediately puts SuzieQ to work as our waitress, she pours us all a glass of some delicious fruit punch. It was what everyone had, mainly because it was the only option, but it was indeed delicious. It was nonalcoholic for everyone but Markus it seems

Name:  u6.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  79.4 KB

We all sat and visited while Bentley worked away on our gourmet crab cake dinners. We talked and laughed and told stories.

Name:  u5.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  u7.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  v3.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  v2.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  87.8 KB

Soon our food was ready and SuzieQ and Bentley served all the plates around. Guirigay and Markus must have been his favorites because they got a lot of extra helpings and more and more and more of that special sauce! OMG, there was so much food on my plate there was no way I would ever finish it. I didn’t even know what it all was but every single thing I tasted was delicious. I remember Markus exclaiming, “It’s so good I am even eating my carrots” He was right! It was sooooooo good.

Name:  v6.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  90.0 KB

I ate and ate and ate until I couldn’t eat anymore and the plate must have been magical because it looked like I hadn’t even touched it! I looked around and most everyone elses plates looked like mine.....all except Markus, who ate ALMOST all of it save for a few carrots, lol and Katho who actually FINISHED IT ALL!! (it’s always the small ones that can throw down on a plate of food)

Sometime before we all finished Gerryg, SuzieQ and Wpyogi / +1 left us to finish our meals as they were all probably stuffed from their own and in much need of a nap (or at this point, a good nights sleep). We all finished what we could, then ordered our to-go boxes. We had some more chatting time with Bentley and heard some of his infamous stories and lots of his crazy laughing. This guy is not only a good cook, he is one hell of a show! You just have to experience it. I had heard many stories and seen many pictures of Bently and his crab shack, but much like Jamaica....Once you go, you know!

Name:  v7.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  92.6 KB

After we finished and settled the bill, I would say most of the group was tired and ready to call it a night. But Guirigay suggested that since we were so close we should walk over to Pee Wees and get one of those infamous Pina Coladas to end our night. We had all assumed we would be stopping there on the one love pub crawl so he had it in his mind all day and needed to satisfy that craving.
    At that point I could tell that most everyone was not really on board with that idea (and I have to admit I myself was the kind of tired where it feels like you just can’t seem to hold your eyes open) but I shouted “Let’s do it” and with that, everyone sort of reluctantly started walking down the lane towards Pee Wees.

User Info Menu

We walked over and into Pee Wees Bar. However, there was no one there. It was late, the lights were off, it was clearly closed. So we walked out towards the cliff edge and stared out to the sea as the moonlight hit the water. We chatted and laughed a little more as we recalled the whole day, and the whole trip up to that point.
    Around that time, a light flicked on. And we heard some movement in the building behind the bar. Then a guy appears and says “Hey everyone”. It was the guy we had seen join us earlier on the Pub Crawl.(Remember when I said they would make an appearance later in our story) He had mentioned to us that he worked at Pee Wees and we should all stop by.....so here we were (In all fairness he never mentioned a time....which was fine because none of us even had any clue what time it was by now). He said “Oh I remember you guys, hang on a sec let me grab my shirt and come open the bar” And so he did. He flicked on the lights to the bar and opened the cooler and asked what everyone wanted. The bar was now open...just for us! He pulled down a tiny little music system and hooked up his ipod and started playing music. He introduced himself (Perrell?) and also his friend Eric. Perrell (sorry if that is not how you spell it) told us he was Pee Wee’s son. He mentioned that he and his brother own the bar now and take turns running it. We had such a nice chat with him and getting to know him, he is a VERY personable host.

Name:  w1.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  508968107311.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  95.5 KB

Name:  w4.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  89.5 KB

He played some game where he tried to remember all of our names. It was very entertaining but I could see the crowd was now really starting to fade, eyes getting heavy, heads getting closer to the bar. And with that Perrell said “Would you guys like to hear some live music” And me being a huge fan of live music yelled out “YES!” without even looking around for approval (sorry gang) It seems Perrell is also a musician and he wanted to play something for us. So he ran to get his guitar and he then asked us to move in under the building in the open air seating area for better acoustics. He came back with his guitar and he proceeded to play about 3 or 4 songs for us. Around this time the music and lights of the bar attracted a bit of a crowd and they gathered at the bar and also offered us some entertainment (perhaps not so much on purpose, but it was all fun nonetheless). Perrell had an amazing voice and great guitar talent. He sang a love song and Guirigay hopped up to dance with his Sweetie Pie and then Markus and Daisy followed. I just sat and watched and smiled. At this moment I felt as if I was living in a movie. It all seemed so surreal. A very special and magical moment, for sure. He then began to sing and he incorporated some of each of us and our stories into the song. This night was just so magical and special I will never forget it. I was sitting on the edge of the cliffs in the middle of the night, under the moon, with my newest family members, listening to the waves crash and an impromptu and private live music show put on at a bar that moments ago was closed..........
    Only in Jamaica.....only in Jamaica!

Name:  684468107311.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  799039496311.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  w7.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  85.7 KB

After being fed a delicious meal, and then serenaded on the cliffs under the moon, we all headed back to our homes, our Jamaican homes....the ride back home was quiet. Everyone was beyond tired we mostly sat in silence.....with smiles on our faces.

(Up next, Day 6, the Canoe webcast and Jon’s birthday)

User Info Menu

On this, Day 5 I got to meet several other boardies I had yet to meet.

Gerryg123- Though I never got to really spend much time with him, the few moments and chats we did share were very nice. He seems like a guy who loves life and loves Jamaica! The greatest takeaway I had was his ever ready eye for news and his reports. He sure enough had his paper and pen ready to jot down notes for his reports. I heard him say “Can I put that in my report” and I just smiled. Months and days were spent reading his reports and now here I was living in one!

SuzieQ- She is just about the sweetest person, with a huge smile and a tremendous love of life...not hard to see why she and Gerry hit it off. I did not get nearly enough time to chat or get to know her either as I would have liked but what I can say is she seemed to light up a room any time she entered and I never saw her without a smile. I liked her, even though she told me repeatedly that I looked like Mariah Carrey LOL
    Iowagirl and hubby- Shout out to you guys, a brief but very pleasant meeting and chat at Westender and on the bus. Hope you guys had a great trip and a safe flight home....next year?

Katho- Our photojournalist! What I love most about Katho (besides her awesome photography skills of course) is the fact that when you first meet her you see her with her camera and you think, she is quiet and will just be around taking photos. Not true at all. She is so much fun, and funny, and quirky, and sarcastic...just like all of us. She fit in immediately. So much fun! She can take amazing pictures without anyone even realizing she is there.....she can drink and party and dance all night with the best of them.....and she can finish an entire plate of Bentleys food....I am not sure there is much more I can say to prove her awesomeness!

Wpyogi (And +1)- I am including the hubby in on this one for anonymity purposes HAHAHAHAHAHA So wpyogi and +1, they also rock! I first heard of them before I met them. When we were with Chicken the day before he mentioned that he had picked up a couple that knew all about our trip. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out who it would be, but he told me they were staying at Xtabi. The very next day we met them during the pub crawl and they introduced themselves, I made the connection then and asked if they had ridden with Chicken. I loved this couple too almost instantly when Wpyogi explained that her hubby was not online (sounded familiar to another couple I know and love) and that he probably thought she was crazy for dragging him to all of these “boardie events” with folks neither of them knew. But that didn’t last long. Regardless of what they thought, they were both very outgoing and instantly were part of the family. They were both so funny and provided instant laughs and also pretty good self-bartending and chinese lantern launching skills (more on that later)
    Last edited by marley9808; 07-11-2012 at 02:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Man, we missed a great night. If I remember correct, disclaimer, Pooper was pooped and we called it an early one. Next time I'm tucking her in and setting out with the crowd. Yep that's the night, as well as the first time I had EVER turned on a TV in Jamaica. I was holding out and trying to stay disconnected, but with the wifey sawing logs, Jizzy jizzing, and all my other friends away, what was one to do?

Please continue........

User Info Menu

Yeah booger, we REALLY missed you guys this night.... It was the day you guys moved down to the beach, after you left Catcha that day, we never saw you again....but I am real sad you guys missed out on it...and Jizzy too, it was definitely a fun night
    You would get a kick out of Bentley too....we will have to take you back in December.....Raul (and Markus if they come) have a date with a special conch dinner prepared by Bentley lol

User Info Menu

Day5: Wednesday April 25, 2012 cont.
    NINJA's 2Cents
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Drinks a flowing, conversation a having; we simply couldn’t make this night end any better. But wait theres a hunger in the air. We’ve got to eat, should it be here at Ivan’s? Or maybe back over to Eddies our second home away from our Jamaica home. Someone mentioned Bentleys and I know we had talked to Brasi before we left the States about having a dinner there one night but I remember something earlier happening with GerryG and the rest of the decisions makers (i.e my better half). At this point in the night I was just riding the wave that started at sunset. I was never sure how this day was gonna end and you see from my wifes report above I couldnt have guessed it. We all came to a consensus that we’d try bentley’s and if it was no joy then we’d just let the night take us where it may.

We found our self doing drinks in our room before we knew it and the hunger just kept coming up. We headed out to the gate to catch a ride down to Bentleys or wherever. As you know we made it to Bentleys and they fun just kept going. I started not to feel well for some reason. I don't know what was making my stomach upset but I knew I need to do something about it. My thought was I didn't want to eat this great food and then pretty much expel it an hour or even a minute later. I excused myself to handle the situation. On my way back up I heard Bentley scream where’s this guy and I laughed to myself. He is definitely a character. And by character I mean CHARACTER. Between the laugh the screaming and the look he was ON as they say. I would say he’s nuts but in that good way. We sat and talked and goofed around and Markus had his own intoxicating drink (little did he know it was just fruit juice). The food hit and we all shut up for a bit as we devoured our food. I’m not a crab cake kinda guy so I had a smorgasbord of other stuff in my plate. I really couldn't finish what was in my plate.

We just really had one of those magic nights where we had conversations about soooo many different things and just got to know each other so much more. I felt like the night should never end. After some more crazy talk by Bentley and stories about helping people get preggers with his magic conch soup we bid the chef farewell. On the way out we decided to go to PeeWee’s for a nightcap. Most of us if not all of us wanted more of a night nap than a nightcap but we pushed on. This is where the night turns into a Woddy Allen movie. PeeWee’s was clearly closed but within 15 minutes it was more alive than the Jungle or Alfreds. Perel and Eric were so entertaining, like watching Dean and Jerry or Clooney and Pitt. Eric would say something and Perel would sarcastically chime in. It was a classic back and forth with us speaking up here and there. All of a sudden Perel whips out his guitar and graces us with a bit of music. As he serenaded us the music encouraged some of us to dance and one local “friend” of Perel’s to add her own sound effects. She was quite humorous to say the least. As the night came to an end we had grown closer and had an experience none of us would forget. I dubbed this night “One Night In Negril”. And of course as I do I needed to make some art ode to the Night oh and a video of our concert. Thanks for the night everyone.

Name:  1nightinnegril-Postersml.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  OneNightInNegril-sml.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  94.4 KB
    Da Ninja - 1st Annual Belly Flop Champ - Soon Come

~Fear accompanies the possibility of Death, Calm shepherds its certainty.

People's actions no longer affect a warrior when he has no more expectations of any kind. A strange peace becomes the ruling force in his life. He has adopted one of the concepts of a warrior's life -- detachment.
    ~from "The Eagle's Gift"~
    blog.ralonzosinclair.com