Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr. X does Negril (2010) with No Reservations

User Info Menu

Mr. X Does Negril (2010) with No Reservations

Chapter 20 – Bourbon Beach

September 5th, 2010 – Sunday – (Day 2)

We unload from Seastar Van and walk right in to Bourbon Beach. Large open air place. Couple bars. Big stage. Right on beach. Not many people around. We are greeted when we walk in by a guy who says his name is Shabba and he works there. We are the only customers. He gets beach recliners set up for the group. Points out everything we need. Other couple had been here before and knew the ropes. Big open beach you could be in the sun or much more importantly I could be in the shade and the actual ocean was 15 feet away. The bar about 15 feet way. We start off with a few cold red stripes.

Check out the beach and water. The beach is stunning. No trash. No debris. No cigarette butts. Looked just like at the nicer AI’s somebody has raked this beach today. Perfect soft clean white sand. Water is crystal clear. I go in it is warm but not hot. Perfect for me. Refreshing but not cold at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (1103).jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	2901

Name:	Angies photos Jamaica 2010 120.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	2900

We play in water a little then go back to bar.
    Shabba asks if we like Bob Marley?
    Just so happens we do like Bob Marley.
    Would you like to hear some Bob Marley?
    My friend tells him we have heard a lot of Bob Marley would it be possible to play anything but Bob Marley?
    Play what you like/want to listen to. Kool he says and goes and fires up the sound system. My friend and Shabba are music people. I don’t exactly know what we listen too but it was cool. We have music all day.

Name:	Jamaica 2010 Fed 018.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	2902

After we had been there about an hour I had to get the scoop on the Jerk Chicken.
    Bartender said it was ready.
    Started off with a ½ chicken.
    Friend got the same thing.
    He is a foodie too!
    So how was the famous Bourbon Beach Jerk Chicken?
    Well again it’s broken into 2 parts.
    First the chicken which is marinated and slow cooked the right way. I thought the chicken was excellent. On par with the best I have had. 2nd part is the sauce. Very different than Mr. Biggas yet still excellent. Wow good sauce. Mr. Biggas and Bourbon Beach sauces are both unique and different but both excellent.

Name:	Jamaica 2010 Fed 014.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	2903

We show Shabba our cigars. He is extremely impressed. We try a few and a few more as the day goes on. He tells us the way our cigars are rolled, no worries you can walk around smoking these anywhere. I am not sure but don’t think he is an actual attorney. We smoked at Bourbon Beach. Smoked in the water. Hardly anybody on beach. Not a care in the world.

Saw a pattie guy on beach. He was pushing bike along with metal box strapped to front. I was not hungry but that is really not the point. Could not tell if he had “kind eyes” as some reviews had noted. He looked to be an older friendly man so I had to ask him what his name was.

Neville” he said.

“That SIR is the PHRASE THAT PAYS!” I said.

So I got one of every kind of Pattie he had. Talked to him for a few minutes. Made good impression with him. Sure I over tipped him but Jeez I am on Day 2 of vacation and I already know by staying at the Seastar Inn I am going to have money. If you want to know my name just say King to him and he will tell you what my name is. Every time I saw him for the next few days I would shout King (King of the Patties) and he would shout my name and wave. Very nice man and excellent patties.

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (1110).jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	2904

Got coconut from fruit vendor at Bourbon Beach girls handled negotiation so don’t know cost. He brought out to us in the water and said when we finished bring back to him to cut up. I love coconut water. Problem is I am a little full and could not drink the gallon of water that was inside the giant coconut. I drank and drank and drank but there was still water in the coconut. Big damn coconut I guess. Fullest I have been all day. Can’t drink anymore. Fruit guy had told us to bring back after we drink the water and he will cut them up so we can eat the coconut jelly inside. I tried but so full just can not drink the whole coconut. Vendor kind of looked down on us for not finishing coconut water. Damn I hate to be wasteful. He chopped them up and we ate the coconut jelly. Pretty good.

We walk down the beach past.

Kubaya
    Legends
    Jamaica Tamboo
    Risky business
    Merrill's 3
    Yellowbird
    Merrill’s 2
    Merrill’s 1
    Grand Pineapple
    Alfred’s

We stop at Alfred’s for a red stripe and tried little food. (I thought you said you were full?) I was full but we walked down the beach and this was like an hour after the coconut so a little room is starting to open back up in my tummy. Me no dummy I know what to order at Alfred’s. Blacken fish. Pretty good. I would come back and eat or hang out to watch a show. Kind of laid back not many people anywhere. Seemed a lot smaller and more compact than Bourbon Beach.

Name:	Jamaica 2010 Fed 021.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	2905

Name:	Jamaica 2010 Fed 024.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	2906

Looked at a few places on the beach Grand Pineapple looked good to me. Good size beach etc.

Name:	Jamaica 2010 Fed 016.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	2907

Not many people around at all. Which is the way I like it. Somewhere around Risky Business are a lot of Jamaican Teenagers having fun and playing in the water. Maybe some kind of local party. Last day of summer before school starts tomorrow (Monday).

Start walking back to Bourbon Beach. Splashing water. Slow walking just goofing off and less than 10 minutes we are back to Bourbon Beach. Little hungry so I get another half chicken at Bourbon Beach. It’s just as good as the first half chicken. Damn good chicken. Wifey tries to give me a hard time about eating whole chicken. I know she had at least a couple of bites so I could not have eaten the whole chicken myself. Half plus half does not mean I ate a whole chicken. Close maybe. Good chicken will eat it again you can bet on that.

So my food tally for me alone the afternoon at beach would be
    (2) ½ chickens (BB)
    Blacken fish (Alfred’s)
    Whole coconut (BB)
    Other assorted fruits (BB)
    2 patties (Neville)
    And not a lot of beers over day say maybe 4 or 5.

Bathrooms clean. Wife said girl’s bathroom clean.

Did not really know what to expect from Bourbon Beach. They treated us great. We took care of bartender (he was quiet and nice and I forgot his name) and Shabba who looked out for us all day. Told Shabba we would be back tomorrow night for the show. Shabba might get to sing an original song as part of the show.

Name:	Jamaica 2010 Fed 017.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	2908

Any beach vendor get too aggressive or any problem at all and Shabba took care of it. Tipped him at end of day 1000J (12US). We had a group of 4 and he took care of us from 11am to 4pm. Well worth it to me. Pretty slow relaxing fun day. No stress. No hassles.

Day is winding down. Decide to head back to Seastar Inn. We call driver and he says no problem he will swing by and pick us up. Other couple must have left when we were walking. If he was busy would have just caught cab outside Bourbon Beach. Figure it would cost the same for us 4 probably about 1000J. So just as soon give it to someone we know. 3 cabs waiting outside Bourbon Beach just kind of looked at us. My friend tipped the Seastar driver 1000J again we had 4 people so no big deal. Drove us back to Seastar about 430pm. Happy hour 2 for 1 drinks. Kool with that.
    Thanks and Praise
    Shower change

Review of Bourbon Beach during Daytime
    Basically large open air bar and stage for concerts that just happens to be directly on the ocean with a beautiful white sand beach that they keep very clean. Lots of sun and shade. I knew going this was going to be a hit or miss place. The 2 guys working there took care of us and treated us right. We had a great time and had the run of the whole place and it was a big hit. Did not sample much on the food menu. They cooked jerk chicken the way it is suppose to be done. Jerk chicken and sause are big time.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 02-09-2012 at 10:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Chapter 21 – LTU Pub

Ok so we missed sunset on Saturday due to weather and flight delays.
    It is 530pm don’t know when the sunset is too actually occur but it is going to happen before too long. Get group ready for sunset/dinner. We could just walk down Seastar Lane to get to LTU Pub. Thought about it but don’t know exactly but figure the 10 minute walk with my group could take longer. Seastar driver is right there and says he will pop us down there no problem. Could have walked to check it out but too close to sunset I am getting anxious. 0 for 1 on sunsets for 2010 not going to go 0 for 2 on sunsets.
    Lets go!
    Everybody got a good laugh when I tried to get in the drivers seat.
    Driver asked if I wanted to drive?
    Nah I just wanted to see what it looked like I said. (Damn Steering Wheel on the right side. British bs).

2 minute drive to LTU Pub.
    First time for friends to see cliffs.

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (1123).jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	2922

They loved the view and the water and the breeze. Privacy. We sat down and order drinks. Got them and were enjoying the view. I look up and realize we are not going to see the final sunset because the property at Ricks sticks out. I had read on the board certain times of the year you can see the final sunset hitting water from LTU Pub. I forgot when you can and cant. We moved tables after we got a drink to get a better view.

Name:	Jamaica 2010 Fed 032.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	2923

Waitress not thrilled we moved. She came to new table and took our orders. 1 other table had a couple few people at the bar. Not too many other customers. She was neither happy or unhappy to see us.
    What you want?
    We started ordering I was last to order.
    Despite being my first visit to LTU Pub I knew before I ever got there what I was going to order.
    So when it was my turn I ordered Chicken Lola with Pumpkin soup.
    The waitress stopped looked over her glasses and slowly looked me up and down good for the first time paused
    and said “good choice.”
    After she left.
    I said did you catch that?
    Yes everyone noticed. (Does not hurt to have the inside information and know where to go and what to order)

We enjoyed the view.

Name:	Angies photos Jamaica 2010 174.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	2924

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (1126).jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	2925

Name:	Angies photos Jamaica 2010 192.jpg 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	2926

Walked down steps to water. Had smoke. Access in and out of the water for swiming or snorkling did not look too good. Water looked great just lots of rock and looked like ladder was missing. Before long food came out and we had nice relaxing dinner.

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (1124).jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	2927

Name:	Jamaica 2010 Fed 037.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	2928

Review of LTU Pub
    Pumpkin soup was Excellent. Not something I would ever order but knowing this was the way to go. Paid off big time. Hate to keep using same word but it was. Chicken Lola really was excellent. Everybody liked the food. We are foodies. Eat out every day. Plastic chairs but table cloths. Reasonably priced considering you are on the water with stunning views. Beautiful at LTU Pub. This time of year you do not get to see the final sunset (fireball disappearing into water) Our friends did not know or care and we had a great time. Got to go back here again.

Name:	Angies photos Jamaica 2010 191.jpg 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	2930

Name:	Jamaica 2010 Fed 046.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	2929
    Last edited by Mr. X; 02-09-2012 at 10:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Your report is fantastic, a must read!

User Info Menu

I agree! I've been enjoying every single update!
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Chapter 22 – Catcha and the Walk

Time to leave LTU Pub. Now its pitch dark. Not late but dark.

Little worried about someone in our group getting run over by speeding car. You have to pay attention. The driving on the opposite side of the road that I am accustomed to adds a degree of danger. Can’t just react. You got to think. I lead the way, wave off about 1 cab/car every 10 feet. We are cool. Usually hand wave best. Shaking motion with my index finger they don’t say anything else I can hear them just hit the gas.

Walked past Ricks. Always people at Ricks offseason or not. Many drivers parked at Ricks. They try yelling at us to see if we want ride.
    Few don’t get hint so I got to actually look at them and say no thanks and keep walking.
    Past Banana Shout.
    Finally to Catcha Falling Star.
    4 minute walk had to wave off 15 cabs, 6 other people trying to get our attention and keep girls from getting run over.

In many places there is no sidewalk, no shoulder, no nothing. Properties are build up to the road. No set back. Literally ur bedroom wall could be the edge of the street. You got to move when it is clear be on the balls of ur feet and be ready. Not a problem at all for me but I got wife and friends with me. There were about 10 chances to actually get hit in this 4 minute walk if you were not paying attention.

Name:	Angies photos Jamaica 2010 215.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	2933

Little alcove when you get to Catcha able to gather my group. Made it safe. Ring bell. Guard comes. Hello we are going to Ivan’s. (That’s the magic phrase.) Looks like we must be on the VIP list. Well anyway I said we were going to Ivan’s and acted like I knew what I was doing. Guard lets us in. Walk in drive and then you turn down the trails leading to water, Ivan’s and pool. Don’t really matter which of the trails you take not going to get lost.

Name:	Angies photos Jamaica 2010 216.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	2934

Got drinks at Ivan’s. Gave friends a tour of Catcha. Kevin the bartender laughed and wanted to know if I was getting tips for my guide service. After I gave my friend’s wife the whole tour she loved it and then she looked at me and said what’s the name of this place?
    I told you its Catcha Falling Star the place you wanted to see and everybody said you have to stay here. Remember??
    She loved it.
    We all did.
    My first time seeing Catcha with the pool done. Wow. Nice.

Name:	Angies photos Jamaica 2010 219.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	2935

Hung out relaxed. Drinks. Enjoyed view from all along the cliffs at Catcha Falling Star. Another round of Drinks. Just relaxing with friends in a beautiful place. Not many people around at all.
    Had a great time but was a little unsure of the walk back.
    It was not late probably about 10pm but dark and we got to walk ¼ mile back to Seastar Inn on road that basically goes from main road to real neighborhood. Traffic not the problem once you go a few feet and get off the main road. It’s just I don’t like walking somewhere I have never walked in the dark. We had got a ride every time for different reasons but I am not going to pay a cab for a ¼ mile ride. Unless I thought it was too dangerous. Not really worried about danger it’s just we have had such a fun first full day in Negril; I just don’t want anything to happen at end of day to ruin it.

Say our goodbyes. We walk out of Catcha Falling Star gates and go 15 feet and turn right on Seastar Lane. We were laughing and cutting up and look up just as we get to Seastar Lane. The whole main road and up Seastar Lane for as far as you can see in both directions is lined with candles on both sides of the road every 3 feet. Just the part I can see is hundreds of candles. We are so shocked we cannot talk. We slowly and quietly walk together up road. We take 15 minutes to do the 5 minute walk. Pass 5 or 6 locals doing the same thing as us just staring quietly at the candles. I am not a religious person. There was something I cannot explain that night on the walk home A feeling of calmest and peace.

Name:	Angies photos Jamaica 2010 225.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	2939

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (1136).jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	2937

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (1138).jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	2936

I hope to live a long time.
    Truth be told I will probably forget most people I know including those close to me at various times of my life.
    I will forget most of the things that I have experienced in life.
    I will forget most of the places I have ever been.

As long as I live I will never forget that candlelit walk home.

Never in a million years.

Rest in Peace Roger you were loved and will be missed.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 07-28-2011 at 04:52 PM.

User Info Menu

That is just beautiful.....in every way possible.
    Thank you for sharing that

User Info Menu

Chapter 23 – 2nd Am at Seastar Inn

September 6th, 2010 – Monday – (Day 3)
    Woke up about 6am everybody else sleeping.
    Light outside.
    Opened door and a kitty cat was waiting for me when I opened the door. I guess somebody must have fed kitty. Would have let cat in room but did not know how our friends feel about cats.
    Warm outside feels good, I like to get out of air conditioned room. Love the feeling of walking outside without my shirt on and not feel cold first thing in the morning.
    Coffee not on yet. I guess if coffee does not come out soon … I guess I will just wait around some more.

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (742).jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	2944

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (743).jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	2945

Walked up to flat rooftop (above our room #10) to take sunrise photos. Love the view from up here. Not too high to make me feel scared but high enough to get a nice 360 degree view. Cannot see the ocean but I know which way it is. Looks like regular neighborhood on the other side of the Lane. And towards the hills you could just see trees. Lots of telephone poles. Looks way cooler than the photos. View of the neighborhood.
    Kitty followed me up to rooftop

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (741).jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	2946

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (1145).jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	2947

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (1148).jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	2948

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (1151).jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	2949

Roosters roosting?
    Hung out
    Dogs barking
    People talking
    Babies crying
    Goats making goat noises.
    See people coming down road from up mountain (country) going to work
    Took photos
    7am got some coffee.
    Go out front gates.

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (752).jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	2950

Guy comes from trail across from gate with woman following him. Quick hug good bye. He comes in Seastar Inn and picks up a motorcycle and zooms off. Don’t know if that was a man going to work or an early morning booty call or both.

Not trying to reveal in other peoples misery … but it is the first day of school in Negril…and I am on vacation and do not have to go to school any more. Over an hour or so I see 7 moms walking between 1 and 3 kids down street. Moms look happy. Kids all have nice uniforms and look sleepy. I resist the urge to mess with them. Tell them school made a mistake and they got to repeat last year. They got their hands full. These people no telling how far to get to this point. I know mostly downhill (lol) which means walking home is all uphill. Go for more coffee. It’s a long walk from coffee back to my rooftop retreat. Well not that far but maybe 50 yards and 4 flights of stairs. Better get 2 cups of coffee. Later of course wife sees the 2 coffee cups and wanted to know who I was having early morning coffee with up there on the roof. Ur kitty cat I say.

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (1153).jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	2951

Breakfast at Seastar Inn Jamaican Special ackee and salt fish we share this and a fruit plate again. Sipping coffee. Thanks and Praise. Nice pool. Hammocks by pool. Cannot walk by without stopping and getting in. Walk around by pool table, books, photos of people and guests having fun. I don’t recognize any of the guests in the photos. Opps yup I recognize one. There is one of Mr. Gleneze exactly same smile as his profile. Lol. I guess that’s his profile photo or he just smiles the same in every photo. He must be happy all the time he is in Negril. I got to buy that guy a beer (or 2) if I ever meet him.

Name:	Jamaica 2010 photos (748).jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	2952

Leisurely eat breakfast. Walk around. Take photos. Looked at some other rooms so I would have a good idea for future visits. Looked at the rooms in back (12, 14, 15 and 16). I liked them. Very private would not have any problems staying in those. 15 and 16 on back side would be 1st choices of the 4. Honestly would stay in any room at the Seastar Inn.

Talk to Chris (owner) of Seastar Inn and ask him if we can leave bags at desk and come back and get them later today. He says no problem just leave them in the room. Perfect. Thank him again.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 08-23-2011 at 08:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Keep 'em coming!

User Info Menu

Okay...I'm all caught up now! Ready for some more....lovin' your writing

User Info Menu

Thanks for the trip report Mr. X...thoroughly enjoying the ride