Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home to Accompong Town. 4 months in Jamaica.

User Info Menu

Home to Accompong Town. 4 months in Jamaica.

I couldn't wait any longer so I pushed the button. I will be going home from early September to early January 2013. I miss my little village so much that it has been unbearable being in So. Florida knowing Jamaica is a mere 1 hr and 40 min away.

After rehabing and finally getting out of that wheelchair, my last visit of 71 days was the best cure for what ailed me. I am stronger and feeling so much better knowing that the hills of Accompong Town, the vegetarian diet and my wonderful longtime friends will do wonders for my health.

As I usually do, I welcome any visitors who decide to experience the culture and history of the Maroons to contact me through the board and I will do my best to make your visit a memorable one.

There are some accomodations scattered around town and I will be happy to hook you up with a place to sleep should you want to stay over and enjoy this place. Accompong Town is unlike any other place in Jamaica. The village is governed by a Colonel and a Town Council; there are no police and technically no laws except the rule of common decency. Since 1738 there has been only one case of Capital Crime in the entire Cockpit Country and this is the home of the first freed slaves in the Western Hemisphere.

Rob, I will be sure to make a Seastar Web Cast at least one time during that stay as I look forward to seeing you all again.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Re: Home to Accompong Town. 4 months in Jamaica.

We'll be at Seastar on Sat 22 Dec. Maybe you could make it then?

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    We'll be at Seastar on Sat 22 Dec. Maybe you could make it then?

Cap
    I just might do that Cap! Wrote down the date.

I forgot to mention in that last post that the Maroons Celebrate Cudjoe's birthday on January 6th of every year since 1739. Because January 6th falls on a Sunday this year, the actual party will start on January 4th!

Here is a favorite YouTube film put together by my good friend from Austria, Robert Hemmer. Hope you enjoy!

Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

WOW........what a peaceful and natural celebrated....I loved EVERY second of it!!!! Thank you for sharing. Do you know the meaning of the colors on the banners....orange, white, yellow and green?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hateswinter View Post
    WOW........what a peaceful and natural celebrated....I loved EVERY second of it!!!! Thank you for sharing. Do you know the meaning of the colors on the banners....orange, white, yellow and green?
    Thanks for the kind words. Actually, I think the colors are just festive colors and have no particular meaning. I will look into it though.

For those who like a good party, Accompong Town doesn't skimp on the sounds either. Stone Love shook the town to it's foundation last year on the 6th of January!
    Name:  2012-Accompong Celebration.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  101.0 KB
    The small village of Harmony Hall (less than 50 residents) had a nice session for Christmas too!
    Name:  2011-Accompong-Christmas.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  100.9 KB
    Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

I am sure to be there some time during your stay and would be in for a couple nights for sure!
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

That was truly inspirational, especially watching the old people at the end of the film. It truly brought tears to my eyes.

User Info Menu

boy it must feel great to know you are going back home.............nuthin better

really enjoyed the video a lot.......almost like being der.........love to be in Accompong someday....

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed that video. What a beautiful celebration. Thank you for sharing.

User Info Menu

Accompong, I have been waiting for a post from you. So, glad your health is improving and the peace you are enjoying after all your hard work. Wonder if your passion for your little village gave you the strength to livr your dream. I have fallen in love with Portie and am visiting again in August. We are planning to make an adventure to Moore Town. Have a great time, maybe we will meet in December. Respect....