Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For Honey Bananas and Breadfruit....

Administrator

User Info Menu

For Honey Bananas and Breadfruit....

Click on the link below!

http://negril.com/nt/nt081712.htm
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: For Honey Bananas and Breadfruit....

nothing better for a quick breakfast...cereal and honey bananas...hmmmmm.....puts our store bought to shame.....
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

I think we called them "bumpy" bananas. They look like them. The are SOOOOOOO sweet

And I do LOVE roast dreadfruit....
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

We call them finger bananas. There is nothing like them anywhere else. They really have flavor. When they get a little too ripe, we make smoothies without any sugar because they are sweet enough. Aw breadfruit! So good when roasted, then fried.
    If your dream doesn't include the "impossible", it's too small - Joel Osteen

User Info Menu

Yup...thought they were finger bananas also...but depends on who you ask & you have to respect the farmer that sells them to you...!
    Roasted the breadfruit last night....oooohhhh so good with just a little salt!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Roasted the breadfruit last night
    in the oven..??..

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaica Miss View Post
    So good when roasted, then fried.
    ...AND the not quite-*ready* young & 'green' ones are not-bad when 'boiled' too
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

My fiance loves breadfruit. He just discovered this recently. We will be there in a couple weeks for our honeymoon! Is there a recommended place to get it prepared in negril? How would they prepare it? And most importantly, will it still be in season?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by liz h View Post
    We will be there in a couple weeks for our honeymoon! Is there a recommended place to get it prepared in negril? How would they prepare it? And most importantly, will it still be in season?
    ummmmmmmmmmmmm

so,
    you arrive in a couple of weeks, eh

well,
    hope-fully-ly they don't have a hurricane before then,
    'cause hurricanes & strong-strong tropical storms tend-to LOVE to mash-up the bread-fruit trees first-thing.

bananas, & plantains get destroyed next

, and then the weak mango & ackee trees are blown-down.

however,
    if no problems/issues, they'll be in-season somewhere (on the island)

WHERE to get it prepared in Negril..??... if you asking about one of the usual Ja-tourist eateries you're probably a duck-out-of-luck ----- 'cause unfortunately most tourist don't eat that stuff:::: too-many of 'em have stuck-in-a-rut taste-buds:::: dem want french fries ..... they don't want no breadfruit, boiled bananas, or boiled dumplings

PLUS,
    and most-importantly
    bread-fruit can be a '.dear.' item down-there
    kinda-sorta hard to get at a food-for-sale eating place

in a post above i joke-ingly asked MissLisa (aka BNewb) if she roasted her breadfruit in the oven ---- as far as i know don't no nobody roast no breadfruit in the oven ---- waaaaaaaaaay to much cooking gas would be consumed. .... therefore, 'tis roasted over an open fire (e.g., wood or charcoal).

ummmmmmmmmmm
    however,
    i do recall a lady-boardie once mention that her *boyfriend* roasted some breadfruit in the oven --- when i read it i laughed soooooooooo hard::::

oh well
    'twas her cooking-gas dime
    lol
    lol
    lol

so it goes

anyhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    so,
    IF
    you want roasted breadfruit, here's what i'd do:::::>>>> '.beg.' some somebody at your resort to purchase a couple at their local market (IF they can find it), and bring it back to the hotel/resort.

then,
    build ya-self a wood fire at the resort,
    on the beach
    or outside your room.

lol
    lol

hotel management is gonna LOVE LOVE this...!!..

roast 'til done

how long..???
    &
    any other roast-ing details/tips...??..::::: NOT a problem, just ask some somebody among the hotel staff --- they all know how to roast a breadfruit, and the lesson/instruction should/could/would be big-fun for all.

bone apper-teet
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

I was able to get roast breadfruit and fried breadfruit at MiYard last trip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
    I was able to get roast breadfruit and fried breadfruit at MiYard last trip.
    opps..!!..
    my bad

i'd forgotten about MiYard

yep yep ---- Delroy WILL have breadfruit...!!..
    be hapPpy