Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May trip report - The ginger goes to Jamaica

User Info Menu

Re: May trip report - The ginger goes to Jamaica

Name:  DSCF0123.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  97.8 KBName:  DSCF0117.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  96.8 KB

User Info Menu

How we looking?

BTW. I have said it a couple times already. but Niah hung out with Jackie and I for about 2 hours that evening at tony's. He and I had a very spiritual conversation. Shared a little smoke and I bought him a few beers.

He gave jackie a bracelet that she wears every day.. and he gave me a carving of a face with his name in the back. He told me, it was for us to remember him even when we are in the states.

He told me "Hey mon, you are not on vacation. You are on a journey to find yourself, and you found yourself in Jamaica" From that moment on, I knew I had a connection with the island and the people. It was less than 24 hours before I had to leave. I had a lump in my throat the while ride to the airport and almost a month after I left. Until I booked this next reach. I am already looking for the reach after that.

He wasn't the only great person I met either. I just hope he remembers us in november. I'd like to hang out and talk with him again a few times.
    Last edited by Flipadelphia26; 08-24-2012 at 08:46 PM.

User Info Menu

he will remember you...if not it wont take much to "jog" his memory..lol
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

Pics came through fine this time. You found a lot of the great spots on the beach. Next time ... the cliffs.

"Don't be no cloud on a sunny day" - Volkswagen's "Get Happy" Super Bowl ad

User Info Menu

Nice report and pics! Niah will remember you for sure! We first met him over 10 years ago and to this day...he recalls all details. A really cool dude that can cook his rass off!!! As well as a good friend for many years. Last visit, I stopped by to say hello...he quickly invited me into the kitchen area and we caught up a bit. My husband was visiting another friend from years ago. He insisted that he fix me up a meal to take to him...at no charge. He recalled just how much my husband loved his food. That is the kind of friend Niah is!!! Not to worry, we returned to have a formal meal and return the favor.
    Hope you have some more pictures..if not maybe next trip!! Glad to hear you guys had a great time!

User Info Menu

Hey Flip... I love pics more than a story any day! The smiling faces & the beauty if the island make spectacular trip reports! I had that same lump in my throat when we were leaving, but since I'm a girl I let my tears flow!

More pics please!

You never see it coming ... and the next thing you know ... UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

User Info Menu

Excellent report. How was the service and accomodations at RIU?

User Info Menu

Nice report,
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

Thanks all.

gerry, as for RIU - I would say we liked the resort overall. We stayed in one fo their normal king sized rooms. Each room had a mini fridge that had red stripe, water and soda. Some days it was better stocked than others. The bed was huge (but that's because we share a queen at home). The bathroom was on the small side, but it was clean.

I felt that there were not enough bars on the beach. The beach is really long and they only had one bar for beach access. So you'd have to either walk back and forth a lot or drink melted drinks, or warm drinks if you got multiple rounds to bring back.

We really liked the pool, and the pool bar. The only issue - which I hate to sound like an old man here - was that since this is a family resort, kids were playing in the pool. It got rather annoying sometimes, The wake would rush up over the tables that they had in the pool.. They had 2 pools. One did not have a bar, and I feel that the one with the bar in it, should have been no kids allowed. That's really my only beef and It's not a huge one.

The food was decent. They have a little jerk hut on the beach. Nothing compared to the quality of what you can get off the resort, but for those who do not know the difference, it is decent - since it is included.

They have a main eating hall where breakfast and dinner is served. The place is huge and clean and a ton of options for both. Not a whole lot of "Jamaican" options. It was really only one small corner of the buffet. However, what they did have there was good. Lots of "American" food.

They have a pizza spot opened late night. It was not good pizza. Not trying to be a hater here, but growing up in the Philly area. We do it right on the East Coast. I havent seen it duplicated. Not even when I was in college in Miami. It's got something to do with the humidity and getting the bread to rise I think.

They have a special area for lunch, closer tot he pool and beach. Similar quality to breakfast and dinner. The beach was ok. If you never went to 7 milie beach, you'd think that this beach was more than spectacular. The water is clear. The sand is white etc. (There was a lot of seaweed and mud on the floor in the water though) didn't bother me at all, but Jackie did not like it.

The staff was friendly. The grounds crew made sure we were "taken care of" right as we were walking to our room. We were already, by our bus driver, so no problem.

I wouldn't stay there again, unless I had a group of people that were steadfast on staying All Inclusive. I just felt disconnected being on the far end of bloody bay, from the rest of the area.

We didn't have enough time to see any of the west end, other than ricks. Next time, we will be doing a lot more, as we have 7 nights and will be staying on 7 mile beach. My family rented out the A and B sides of 2 cottages at Yellowbird.

I am worried about my mom and sister, because they are used to "living the good life" and might whine that there is not enough amenities. For my dad, brother jackie and I, all we need is a bed, a bar and the beach. Since we plan on exploring all of the bars.
    Last edited by Flipadelphia26; 08-25-2012 at 10:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yetta View Post
    Nice report and pics! Niah will remember you for sure! We first met him over 10 years ago and to this day...he recalls all details. A really cool dude that can cook his rass off!!! As well as a good friend for many years. Last visit, I stopped by to say hello...he quickly invited me into the kitchen area and we caught up a bit. My husband was visiting another friend from years ago. He insisted that he fix me up a meal to take to him...at no charge. He recalled just how much my husband loved his food. That is the kind of friend Niah is!!! Not to worry, we returned to have a formal meal and return the favor.
    Hope you have some more pictures..if not maybe next trip!! Glad to hear you guys had a great time!
    There's more pics, I need to sort them out. Our camera was not very good, so a lot of blurry ones.