Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cell phone questions

User Info Menu

cell phone questions

I have an old LG Shine that I am no longer using here in the U.S. It doesn't have a SIM card in it.
    Can I buy an AT&T SIM card in JA for it? If so, where should I buy it, how much will it cost and how does it work as far as incurred charges when I use it in JA?

User Info Menu

Re: cell phone questions

There may be others who are better experts than I but it seems to me that you could buy a Digicel SIM card & use it there. No reason to get an AT&T SIM card. Not sure of the Digicel SIM card cost since I keep my phone active but probably around $600J. The Digicel store in town would be the best place to go (across from ValueMaster in the newer plaza). Buy credit to put on the phone to use there. Very inexpensive. All I can think of now.

User Info Menu

You would buy a local sim card, either digicel as mentioned, or lime (above the ValueMaster). It depends how old your lg phone is (may not work). It has to be a gsm quad band phone, I believe. If not, Marko has reported great pricing for a cheap lime phone, including a sim card & minutes for about $20 USD....less than half the price of digicel.

User Info Menu

LG cellies can be seen around Jamaica and believe you model is a Quad which is good.........
    and you need a Sim card from either Digicel or Lime....Lime sim is $300J's........
    but you are going to find out the phone is probably locked to use outside of ATT when you put in a Jamaican Sim card in it...
    and the lock codes are not cheap....so you are better off buying a cellie in Jamaica.....or bring down an unlocked quad phone

Cool Runnings Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Type in Unlock code LG (whatever model) on an eBay search. You'll find a unlocking service that will send you the code to unlock your phone. They require the model and the set of numbers under your battery to give you the code. Instructions are simple. Even I can do it.

User Info Menu

I just checked to see if your phone is quad band. Turns out there are several versions of the Shine. The CU720 is a quad band phone. Hope that's what you have.

User Info Menu

Thanks Melody, Marko and n8urist. Where should I go to buy a no frills cellie in JA?

Only 4 weeks until my first reach!!

User Info Menu

I have an old lg shine...if your phone is no longer under contract AT&T will give you the unlock code for your phone free..then just search lg cu720 and you can find the procedure...once that is done just buy minutes...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keef View Post
    Thanks Melody, Marko and n8urist. Where should I go to buy a no frills cellie in JA?

Only 4 weeks until my first reach!!
    If your lg is the CU720 model and you get it unlocked, you would have to buy either the Lime or Digicel SIM in addition to the minutes. You need to go to one of their stores to get a SIM, but if you require additional minutes later on in your vacation, they can be purchased at several shops along the beach (likely the cliffs too?)

If you choose/need to buy a phone in Jamaica, as mentioned you go to the roundabout in Negril. The Lime and Digicel stores are across from each other. Digicel is in the Burger King mall and Lime is across the street above the ValueMaster grocery store. As mentioned, Marko did a price comparison not long ago (there is a long post in another cell phone thread going back a few weeks) and he got phone/sim/minutes at Lime for about $20, Digicel's cheapest phone + minutes & SIM was closer to $50. Both stores are not open Sundays and not open evenings. I believe Digicel closes at 6 p.m. and Lime closes at 5 p.m.

Where are you staying? You will LOVE Negril!

User Info Menu

I just called ATT and provided them the IMEI number and they gave me the unlock code for free to a Motorola RAZR. I'd suggest calling ATT at 1-800-331-0500. They were most helpful!

Anyone know if the Lime store is open Xmas day or the day after? I don't know what business are open during the holidays as I've never been during this time.
    Last edited by Mr. Twister; 09-08-2012 at 11:01 AM.