Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breezes Grand Negril sold to Memories Resorts, reverting back to Grand Lido Negril!

User Info Menu

Breezes Grand Negril sold to Memories Resorts, reverting back to Grand Lido Negril!

We just heard from people at the resort that the new owners of Breezes Grand Negril announced last night that they are NOT turning the resort into a family friendly Memories Resort, but that they will be keeping the adult only format and turning it back into Grand Lido Negril, with the C/O beach and scuba & snorkeling included.

This is very confusing because on Tuesday night they announced to the guests that they are now a Memories resort since the ownership officially changed from Breezes to family-friendly Memories yesterday.

There seems to be a lot of confusion going on there. I think the new owners finally realized what we all have known, that they will lose all of their repeater business (which accounted to about 30%) by changing the format and amenities at the resort. I wonder if the statement about going back to Grand Lido was an attempt to get some of the lost business back. I wonder if they will keep their word this time or change their minds once again and go back to family friendly Memories, or worse yet close the resort in June due to low occupancy.

We were booked at Breezes at the beginning of June. All the guests holding reservations received an email last Friday announcing the ownership change and the format change to a family friendly resort, effective June 1st. We were all given an option to keep our reservation under the new resort format, to cancel or to move to Hedonism II. We chose to cancel, and according to reservations department most of the people booked in June either cancelled or moved to Hedonism. The occupancy was very low to begin with; we assume that it’s next to 0% at this point for early June. We were expecting to hear that they will close for renovations in June.

If any of you were booked at the resort in early June, did you keep your reservation or did you cancel or move to Hedonism? If you cancelled or moved, are you going to try to get your reservation reinstated if in fact this will be a Grand Lido Resort again? If enough people reinstate, the new owners may guarantee to stay open. Please share with the group. Hopefully we can bring back the best resort on the island!
    Last edited by Sibadibo; 04-18-2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Typo

User Info Menu

Re: Breezes Grand Negril sold to Memories Resorts, reverting back to Grand Lido Negri

They caught the bomber of the Boston Marathon
    Woops, no they didn't

Wait for the dust to settle before spreading rumors.

User Info Menu

Re: Breezes Grand Negril sold to Memories Resorts, reverting back to Grand Lido Negri

Quote Originally Posted by n8urist View Post
    Wait for the dust to settle before spreading rumors.

Now where is the fun in that?

User Info Menu

N8urist
    Why don't you CALL the resort and ask for yourself before accusing somebody of spreading rumors.
    And why are you bringing the tragedy in Boston into this! So rude!

User Info Menu

What happened to SuperClubs, anyway?....seems they have all but disappeared from Jamaica....selling off Hedo III, Breezes Runaway Bay, Starfish/Breezes Trelawny, G.Lido/Breezes Negril....and more properties I'm sure I've missed....This was my first experience with Jamaica in 1994(Jamaica Jamaica---before they changed it to Br. Runaway Bay)...The company always had a place in my heart....did they just not try hard enough to compete with the other brands? I know they had competitive prices for the last 3 decades...I know there is still a presence there..(Rooms, Hedo)...but it's scarcely what it was

User Info Menu

I have a friend at the resort now. She put this info on her FB page and has heard it first hand a day or two ago. Future changes....soon come.

User Info Menu

From another forum....

"It was announced to Breezes employees 4/17 that the new resort owners had changed their mind and that the resort would remain "adults only". The goal would be to once again become a 5 star resort going so far as to go back to the Grand Lido Negril name. What wasn't clear is whether "adults only" meant that they would keep the clothing optional side."
    Ya Mon...Heading home
    10/9-10/16 @ Idle Awhile & the Zoo!
    3/14-3/21 @ The Zoo

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update FaceDown. That is exactly what I heard. We sent an email on Thursday night to the new management inquiring about reinstating out June reservation...haven't heard anything back yet. I think our best strategy is to keep our reservation at Couples Negril in June, and check things out next door at GLN, and report on this forum. Then we can figure out if we want to go back to GLN in December. It will take a lot more than a name change to bring it back to 5 stars and Grand Lido standard!

User Info Menu

Lisapat, Superclubs sold most of their resorts. They still have Breezes Bahamas, which I heard was OK...just OK. They are planning on expanding to the Cuba market, jumping on the post-embargo bandwagon. In my opinion, GOOD LUCK! Nothing compares to the beaches and the vibe of Jamaica!

User Info Menu

Update: I just got off the phone with one of the water-sports guys. Everybody, but 4 people in that department have been laid off. They are interviewing with Scuba Caribe, a sub-contracted company that works for the RIU, early next week. I am calling BS on the promises of reverting back go GLN with scuba and included, just a hunch!