Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Squaters in Negril Removed...

User Info Menu

Squaters in Negril Removed...

Name:  squatters.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  35.0 KB

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...Negril-removed

Always sad to see something like this.

User Info Menu

Re: Squaters in Negril Removed...

Sad indeed. Article says the occupants were given notices over a year ago-who knows if that is true or not.

User Info Menu

It is sad to see but also understandable. We were recently in the Abacos and they suffered a huge loss do to a fire that started in an unregulated settlement just outside Treasure Cay. One off the settlers had their cooking fire tip over, it burnt over 60 dwellings and left over 140 persons displaced within an hour of it starting. Luckily, no one died in this fire, unlike the one that happened 3 months earlier near Marsh Harbor in January where a mother and child passed. My heart goes out to those in Negril that have been displaced and hope they can find a safe and hospitable place to get their life back to some sort of normalcy.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Obay - that part is true. We know some of the folks who received the notices.

Pretty much everyone in Negril who cared knew this was coming including the squatters on "capture land".

If you read the comments under the article, your will see that the majority sentiment by Jamaicans are against the "free" mentality of the squatters.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

There but for the Grace of God go you and I.

User Info Menu

Good to know Rob! I will read the comments. I can understand the problems with squatters and the danger of groups of people living unregulated. A true lose/lose situation for everyone.

User Info Menu

Correction: The majority sentiment by "Jamaicans who have the ability and resources to post/ comment on an internet website" are against it...

I would imagine squatters not having these resources available, thus not posting their feelings, etc... so the majority sentiment here is obviously skewed in one direction

User Info Menu

Very sad, and very suspicious. The govt are either wanting that land for something else, or they are sending a message out, which they are known to do from time to time.

Let's face it most of red ground is capture land, why didn't they go in there.

Freeness is the term used, it's easy to blame people at the bottom of the pile. The points of those at the bottom of the column I don't think are representative of Jamaicans, they are the voices of a few with narrow minded stereotypical opinions. We get those sorts of comments here from people who are against the welfare system, without understanding how marginalised some people are. One person spoke about free education, being the reason people should live better. This is a relatively recent opportunity for Jamaicans, I highly doubt that the guy in the article had the opportunity to attend school.

And people on this board will see that it's not as easy as that for some people to get their kids to school, hence the programme at st Anthony's kitchen.
    If you displace people, education is not going to save anyone from this cycle of poverty.
    Freeness is also something that is enjoyed throughout the Jamaican infrastructure, with corruption, pay offs and extortion at every level, all the way to those in government. Not a surprise for many.
    To use this term as an adjective for people who have very little opportunity to better their quality of life is a bit rich in Jamaica if you ask me....

Jamaica does not look after it's poor, simple...so they have to do whatever they need to, to survive. So would I. Squatting on the morass is hardly the crime of the century. Certainly an administrative crime..
    The government officers just piss me off with this crap.

User Info Menu

Murph ... Agree 100%...

User Info Menu

Disclaimer: Sarcasm Ahead!
    Yes, God forbid people would be allowed to live in unregulated groups. I just wouldn't know what to do without the government regulating my every move.

Granted, squatting is not the best option, but what other options are available? Perhaps the gov could use some of their precious land that apparently they just noticed that they own to build suitable affordable housing? a hand up, not a handout. Stable housing can only benefit people and improve their quality of life. It shouldn't be free, but have rent based on income or temporary group shelter with a plan to work toward self-sufficiency.

I think arbitrary (it's been 11 years, let's do it now) and excessive (bulldozing homes) regulation is part of the problem. Keeping the poor out of sight, out of mind.

Or are they just clearing the way for the ill-planned and only partially funded breakwater project?

OK, crawling back into my soapbox/home now....