Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can a US citizen marry a Jamaican citizen in Jamaica?

User Info Menu

Can a US citizen marry a Jamaican citizen in Jamaica?

Does anyone know if this is legal and what is required? Also, would the marriage then be legal in the US? Would the US citizen then be required to live in Jamaica? Can the Jamaican citizen come to the US?

Any information much appreciated!

Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Re: Can a US citizen marry a Jamaican citizen in Jamaica?

Wow..you are starting from scratch, Stacey ! There are some experienced ppl here tho who will be able to provide you with some useful information. Good luck

User Info Menu

There is a site visajourney.com I suggest you post your question there. They are devoted to stuff like that. I also know that if a US citizen marry a jamaican citizen in Jamaica they have to go through the legal channel of applying for spouse to live in the USA.

User Info Menu

Thanks Ackee! Yea definitely starting from scratch with this question. I'm pretty knowledgeable about the laws/visa's/ marriage requirements,etc when it comes to the Jamaican citizen coming to the US. But, I'm flat out clueless about doing it the opposite way It's hard to find much info on the internet about this scenario - so definitely hoping to get some good info here on Negril.com. Thanks again

User Info Menu

Thank you Summer - I will definitely check out that site. Appreciate your response

User Info Menu

that site will be helpful Stacey. K1 is the fiance visa (JA fiance to foreign then marry within 90 days) but the other is a "spousal" visa which I am not familiar with but I believe its the same basic process and takes about as long. I just completed the K1 process if you have questions on that you can PM me.

You would likely have to prove the marraige, prove you can support $$ the immigrant until they have filed for and received employment authorization (there is a salary calculation), lots of documents and fees and about a year of processing time.

More info at Dept of State http://www.state.gov/

Best of luck if you are beginning this journey.
    Last edited by Sweetness; 10-19-2012 at 02:59 PM.
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

The K1 Visa is the best route and a long process and takes a lot of time and money and the majority of marriages don't work out.

User Info Menu

Had a friend who went thru this....Make copies of every for use during this process...Yes you can marry a Jamaican in Jamaica! You'll need your Passport/Certified copy of Birth Certificate and have to be in Jamaica for at least 24 hrs. before...You must pre-apply for a marriage license thru the Jamaican Ministry Of Justice, if ya try the 24 hour arrival before thing... Once you are married, go to the U.S. Embassy/mission and have them authenticate your marriage certificate, which is a step but does not guarantee it's recognized in your U.S. State...You must contact your states Attorney General's office then for state specific rules... The U.S. citizen is not "required" to live in Jamaica.... For the Jamaican Citizen to come to the U.S., you must go thru the process of acquiring a "Green Card" for them. It could take 6 Months to 2 years..Check with the office you are filing in Once they are approved, they'll get a 2 year kinda temporary residency status and the U.S. Gov. will review that in two years...I am no expert for sure and there are other ins and outs, I'm sure...Hope this helps some....Good luck in following your heart!

User Info Menu

of course.......but it's not the easiest route to get a spouse to the USA........
    interesting subject for sure in the past on here.........so mi keeping this light.......
    but if you do get married in Jamaica there is absolutely no guarantee they will be able to come to the USA.......
    especially if they have had children with a different spouse/person.....a lot of times they get declined....
    the easiest way is the K-1 Visa and it gives the couple 90 days to get married once on US soil.........
    so if the spouse doesn't like the USA/spouse/family for whatever reason they can return to Jamaica.......
    though if they do return to Jamaica their chances become quite less on trying for re-entry to the USA with someone else.....
    of course if they try for a K-1 Visa and they have had children with someone else their chances aren't very good.......
    the US government goes to great lengths to protect itself from spouses and dependents becoming wards of the state.....
    the US paperwork can become taxing and it takes a lot of patience to go thru this process that really takes a total of about 5 years for the T's and I's to be crossed and dotted........
    of course it takes money.......and the more you have the easier it can be......
    but just remember it's a very long process that at times seems never ending.........
    but good luck to those that go for it........nice to follow your heart.......mi did......

but please don't PM mi on this subject...mi no expert and best left to those that are...and there are plenty on the net

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Kevan View Post
    You have to be in Jamaica for at least 24 hrs. before...
    Twenty-four hours? I've been married twice in Jamaica within that time span, ha ha ....