Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: Of all the Negril hotels and eats no longer around, which one do you miss the most?

User Info Menu

Re: Of all the Negril hotels and eats no longer around, which one do you miss the mos

Although I know Barry still is in operation, Miss Gloria's Sunset Cottages was a wonderful place. It was not a hotel but a community, with many different guests from all over the world. The options ranged from pitching a tent to renting a small room or renting the A-Frame which was 30 feet from the sea. The property ran from the road to the beach and was somewhat narrow. There was a communal cold water shower (small corrugated tin stall for privacy) and a bathroom with flush toilet which back in the seventies was somewhat of a convenience. Even though it was a cold shower the water line ran above ground so if you timed it right and it was a sunny day you could get a couple of minutes of hot water, even so after getting baked by the sun a cold water shower was refreshing too. Gloria had a small kitchen and served breakfast although I don't remember if lunch and dinner was offered or not. Despite being a humble spot it was full of life and seeing the same people on a regular basis was fun too.

User Info Menu

Re: Of all the Negril hotels and eats no longer around, which one do you miss the mos

Pickled Parrot for sure
    Name:  pickledparrot.1998.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  21.4 KBName:  JA May20.1998.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  20.3 KB

User Info Menu

nice pick dino i was married ther in 96 didnt last though...lol

User Info Menu

The Yacht Club, Mr. Slice, Ragga Muffins (Rosalyn made great lasagna) Pickled Parrot, Mama B's, and For Real.

User Info Menu

I miss Brown Sugar & Miss Rose, such a lovely woman and spectacular chef. Mmmmm mmm mmm
    Looking forward to our next visit to beautiful Jamaica! See you soon!!

User Info Menu

i haven't been back to negril since 23/7 closed so i haven't had a chance to miss it, but i will real soon.
    irie vibes brings back memories of my first trip to JA, the trip that changed my life. negril fan for life!

User Info Menu

The first resort that I stayed in was the T-water in 1984. My first meal in Jamaica was at the Tudor Room. We followed the likkle sign on a tree and headed up the hill to what can best be described as a front porch. The classically simple menu on a board - Fish, Lobster, Chicken, Goat, etc. We could hear the family conversation and smell our meals being prepared. Our first lesson in kicking back and sipping Red Stripes in the neighborhood while we waited. Take your time. No Hurry. For as long as it was open, the Tudor Room was my first meal on every trip.

The last time I ate there, I met the crew operating the Bungee Jump on the beach. I had read about them in the Air J Sky Writings article and had grabbed two copies. I promised to bring one down so they could see themselves. I wasn't there 15 minutes before they had me attached at the ankles to a bungee and leaning out of a crane basket 120' in the air! My knees were still wobbly as I proudly walked back to Cosmos with my Bungee Jamaica t-shirt on.

My second trip to Jamaica we were staying at the T-water for a couple of nights as part of a trip driving all around the island when I made my next great discovery. We were slowing navigating a dirt road beyond the Lighthouse, when a vehicle clearly impatient pulled up behind us. I managed to pull over enough for them to pass. The driver pulled up and asked if we wanted to see something really special to follow them. OK. He bounded off down the road blasting through the who knows how deep mud puddles and us gamely in pursuit. The bush got more sparse and suddenly it opened up to reveal Secret Paradise. Just three units in a two octagon cottages, one two story. After a couple of Stripes, we left our name and address a returned back to the paved, Westend Rd. In the midst of a bitter winter the following year, we got a brochure in the mail from Secret Paradise and they reeled us in. We stayed with Georgia Henry and Derris Hogg until their marriage ended and the property changed hands. I miss their hospitality, Dosa, Frankie, Wen's great cooking and of course the ladies.

Things change and much has changed in Negril since 1984. The memories sure are sweet. Respect --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marblehead View Post
    The first resort that I stayed in was the T-water in 1984. My first meal in Jamaica was at the Tudor Room. We followed the likkle sign on a tree and headed up the hill to what can best be described as a front porch. The classically simple menu on a board - Fish, Lobster, Chicken, Goat, etc. We could hear the family conversation and smell our meals being prepared. Our first lesson in kicking back and sipping Red Stripes in the neighborhood while we waited. Take your time. No Hurry. For as long as it was open, the Tudor Room was my first meal on every trip.

The last time I ate there, I met the crew operating the Bungee Jump on the beach. I had read about them in the Air J Sky Writings article and had grabbed two copies. I promised to bring one down so they could see themselves. I wasn't there 15 minutes before they had me attached at the ankles to a bungee and leaning out of a crane basket 120' in the air! My knees were still wobbly as I proudly walked back to Cosmos with my Bungee Jamaica t-shirt on.

My second trip to Jamaica we were staying at the T-water for a couple of nights as part of a trip driving all around the island when I made my next great discovery. We were slowing navigating a dirt road beyond the Lighthouse, when a vehicle clearly impatient pulled up behind us. I managed to pull over enough for them to pass. The driver pulled up and asked if we wanted to see something really special to follow them. OK. He bounded off down the road blasting through the who knows how deep mud puddles and us gamely in pursuit. The bush got more sparse and suddenly it opened up to reveal Secret Paradise. Just three units in a two octagon cottages, one two story. After a couple of Stripes, we left our name and address a returned back to the paved, Westend Rd. In the midst of a bitter winter the following year, we got a brochure in the mail from Secret Paradise and they reeled us in. We stayed with Georgia Henry and Derris Hogg until their marriage ended and the property changed hands. I miss their hospitality, Dosa, Frankie, Wen's great cooking and of course the ladies.

Things change and much has changed in Negril since 1984. The memories sure are sweet. Respect --Marblehead
    YA MON !! do you remember what the crane looked like? A brown rust bucket and the cage!!! remember those days well...

User Info Menu

The little Lady that cooked Banana Fritters sitting on a rock upper a tree at the Roundabout hot sweet and dripping grease.

Fried Fish Sandwich's, at Mary's at the Roundabout.

Let the pictures speak!

Name:  217455.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  91.3 KB
    Hot long wait with the goats and dogs, but the best Fried Chicken.

Name:  214541.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  214542.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  76.3 KB
    The side dining room

Name:  217432.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  75.5 KB

Name:  217433.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  214547.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  70.6 KB
    Ricks

Name:  214419.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  87.5 KB

User Info Menu

These pictures are worth more than a million words. Thanks!