Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hide Awhile

User Info Menu

Re: Hide Awhile

I forgot to say, we are not big fans of walking down the cliff road. It is not a relaxing walk. You will be hassled by the locals hanging out, even though we never felt threated. The biggest problem is that the cars drive on the left side of the road, and it’s confusing and dangerous just crossing the street, especially with some red stripes in you. You will be worn out and sober after a short walk down the road. A route taxi will cost you $5-10 us, but it is worth it.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for the advice! The view is beautiful. Can't wait to show my wife. We were just married earlier this year in Maui. As soon as we got home we were planning our next island getaway. Lol.

I've also heard lots of places will provide transportation for dinner.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Madmolecule View Post
    A route taxi will cost you $5-10 us, but it is worth it.
    A Red Plated Route Taxi will cost $100 Jamaican Dollars per passenger each way. That is about $1.10 US per person each way. Two people round trip would be $400 Jamaican dollars or about $4.40 US, but I'm a big tipper!

The Cliff Road from just past Rick's Cafe down to the Round a bout is the cliff route. From the Round a bout to Point Village is the beach route.

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

I agree about walking the road. I almost got hit one night after a bit too much to drink but my loving wife pushed me into the weeds and saved my sorry butt. Someone slammed me on the TA board for saying it was dangerous but she was well seasoned and knows how and where to step aside. Once you get past the lighthouse, it's not too bad. It's really worth the $5 US to get around. (I tip big as well)
    2013-Catcha/Idle Awhile 2012-Catcha/Idle Awhile 2011-Catcha/Tree House 2010-SeaSplash 2009-SATP 2008-SATP

User Info Menu

I totally enjoy walking West End Road. I know that it is an area that we should all be careful on...and I truly watch what i am doing. A Jamaican friend kindly showed me a few tips on maneuvering the curves...which truly helped! So much can be appreciated when walking. I have never been truly hassled when walking the West End. Yes, there are people that want to sell their goods, etc....but no one failed to accept.."Mi criss" " Have every ting mi need".... With that said, If I am tired or just don't feel like maneuvering....just jump in a route taxi and be on your way. Truly a great deal at 100 Ja per person...and yes...if I get the yardie rate....I TIP! Respect to them for giving me the respect and I want to pay it forward. I know from this board...that ALL of us...whether... from US, Canada,England, Germany, etc.... if you love Jamaica...it shows in your actions. I truly love the west end and I guess I always will. Soon come... peace out!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Your photos are so beautiful! We love staying at their sister property, Idle Awhile, and have also enjoyed our previous stays at The Caves. P.S. I LOVE your daily schedule!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmolecule View Post
    The Night of a 100 candles was great they took very good care of us. I attached some pictures below.
    I have also attached some caves photos. We stayed at the Blue Hole, Stardust and I think it is the Blue Dolphin. They were all great. We like the A/C of the downstairs units, but we actually did not have a problem with Stardust without the A/C. The Caves is our #1, but it is pricy in season, so we try to create the Caves experience at other properties. Every time we have been there ours as well as the other guests desires are met.
    Caves Positives
    Glass, Glass, Glass. I can’t say it enough and have included a few photos. We hate spending good money at a beautiful location and drink out of plastic cups.
    Truly All Inclusive. Whatever you want of great drinks and food. For the most part the high end alcohols included like grey goose. With that said they do charge for high end cordial’s and high cigars in the cave bar at night.
    Food is great. Recommend the Jamaican soups, especially pumpkin and at the caves you can’t go wrong with the ever popular combo.
    Our perfect Caves schedule:
    6:30 am Coffee and Baileys in the room
    8:00 am Breakfast and Bloody’s
    9:30 am Frozen Drinks on the Lounge Chair
    10:30 am Snorkeling
    11:30 am Frozen Drinks on the Lounge Chair or pool
    12:30 pm Lunch
    1:00 pm Nap
    4:00 pm Sunset Cocktails
    6:00 pm Showers
    7:30 pm Dinner
    11pm-3am Playtime in the Resort
    In the evening you have the place to yourself. The bars are self-service, the pool is great under the stars and the sauna is open.
    We have done the cave dinning twice and enjoyed it. I could not find any pictures handy. The set it up with the candles and the flowers as seen on the web. Just prepare dress, hair and makeup for a very humid experience. It is very comfortable but you are in a cave, so be prepared to sweat. The same applies to the Cave bar open after dinner.
    We really enjoyed the private bath and would recommend reserving that. The pictures are attached. It is in a private cave with locked door. It will be set up with champagne, fruit and chocolates. There are big windows that open to the ocean and a nice padded bench. Bonus the water is changed after each use, so it is not the typical resort hottub brew.
    While we are at the caves we find it hard to leave paradise.
    I also recommend the Spa for a morning or early afternoon treatment. We did a couples sunset massage which was great except my wife was outside, and you could overhear the Rick’s sunset music which kind of drowned out the tranquil spa vibe.
    You guys will have a great time.
    One last recommendation. We always go to the bank and take a stack of 5s and 10s with us to Jamaica. It is always nice to have the correct change and we are big believers in the power of tipping, even at an all-inclusive resort.

Attachment 20335Attachment 20342Attachment 20341Attachment 20340Attachment 20339Attachment 20338Attachment 20336Attachment 20337Attachment 20334Attachment 20343
    Last edited by Eden; 12-01-2012 at 09:24 PM.

User Info Menu

MadMolecule! Thank you SO much for the great review and details about The Caves dinner! You have me sooooooo excited for it now! I'm kinda curious, at Catcha's 100 candles dinner, do they really light up 100 candles? Btw, I love that photo of you and your sweetie snorkeling together! So sweet. Baylee

User Info Menu

I may have to look into the caves myself. Sounds great! We just booked the 100 candles table yesterday for next week. I was told they so in fact light the candles assuming its not too windy. Cost for 2 people is currently $174 us. So excited it was available.

I think we will take everyone's advice on walking. Take a route taxi. Money well spent sounds like.

User Info Menu

Now if only someone had any advice on getting my wife to snorkel! We saw some sharks in Maui and that's all she wrote!