Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hide Awhile

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Hide Awhile

My wife and I stayed ay Hide Awhile last February and enjoyed it very much. We have stayed at the Caves 3 times and Samsara Pillar Houses twice. We have never stayed at the beach, because we just love the Cliffs and it would be hard to change. In fact I was just trolling the forum trying to plan our 2013 trip when I came across your posts.

We stayed in one of the ocean villas. We would have not enjoyed it as much if we were in the Garden Villas. The room was great with plenty of space. A/C in the Bedroom was nice and the internet worked well, which we never experienced in Jamaica before.

The Breakfast was very good. They would deliver to the room if preferred. We tried the in-room chef one night and it was disappointing. Lunch was pretty weak, just a choice of a couple of basic sandwiches. We enjoy the local Cliff Restaurants so this was not a problem. The fresh food at the local restaurants is hard to beat. We hate to travel and end up eating Sysco Institutional food. We have a Jamaica SIM card that made coordinating with a route taxi driver very easy.

I would plan on eating breakfast at the resort, go out for lunch or purchase it at a local store or have it delivered, which most places can accommodate. I think they just send a route driver with your food. I would plan on eating out for dinner. Moondance is right next store, easy walk for lunch or drinks but you get the big resort feel which is why we like Hide Aawhile.

I did not hear any rumors back in February about a new restaurant but you never know. The pool was about 5 ft deep which is perfect for floating. The ocean seemed a bit rougher than we experienced at the Caves and Samsara. I am not sure if was just the days we were there or the fact that it is farther west and where the island turns.

Positives:
    View
    Ocean
    No sand (or sand fleas)
    Very nice room, even nicer than the Caves
    Took private plane from MBay to Negril (our first time, but loved it and would only fly in the future)
    Ordered Flowers from local florist, which worked out great
    Did night of 100 Candles dinner at Catch a falling star
    Bar is open until about 7 at Hide Awhile

Negatives:

Service could be better at lunch
    Private Chef should be better
    ]

Large 1GB Video of Flyby of Cliffs. The Caves and Hide Awhile are at aboyr the 3 minute mark

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Name:  P1000465.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  96.3 KBName:  P1000463.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  95.1 KBName:  IMG_0044.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  97.6 KBName:  IMG_0070.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  93.6 KBName:  IMG_0027-1.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  90.4 KBName:  P1000472.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  91.9 KBName:  IMG_0028.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  102.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Info Menu

Re: Hide Awhile

Thanks for these. Have seen very little on Hide Awile, looks nice.

User Info Menu

Thank you for posting your video and pictures! We just booked this resort today and when I looked on Tripadvisor I saw that you responded to my post. Now I know we booked the right place. Your video is beautiful!

User Info Menu

Wow, that hotel is really beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing your photos and review. You mentioned that you stayed a few times at The Caves, and I was wondering if you experienced the special candlelit dinner in the cave? I recently booked it as a surprise for my boyfriend on our upcoming trip, and I would love to hear your "review" of it or perhaps see any photos if you had any. Also, what did you think of the 100 Candles dinner at Catcha? Thank you! Baylee :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baylee View Post
    Wow, that hotel is really beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing your photos and review. You mentioned that you stayed a few times at The Caves, and I was wondering if you experienced the special candlelit dinner in the cave? I recently booked it as a surprise for my boyfriend on our upcoming trip, and I would love to hear your "review" of it or perhaps see any photos if you had any. Also, what did you think of the 100 Candles dinner at Catcha? Thank you! Baylee :-)
    The Night of a 100 candles was great they took very good care of us. I attached some pictures below.
    I have also attached some caves photos. We stayed at the Blue Hole, Stardust and I think it is the Blue Dolphin. They were all great. We like the A/C of the downstairs units, but we actually did not have a problem with Stardust without the A/C. The Caves is our #1, but it is pricy in season, so we try to create the Caves experience at other properties. Every time we have been there ours as well as the other guests desires are met.
    Caves Positives
    Glass, Glass, Glass. I can’t say it enough and have included a few photos. We hate spending good money at a beautiful location and drink out of plastic cups.
    Truly All Inclusive. Whatever you want of great drinks and food. For the most part the high end alcohols included like grey goose. With that said they do charge for high end cordial’s and high cigars in the cave bar at night.
    Food is great. Recommend the Jamaican soups, especially pumpkin and at the caves you can’t go wrong with the ever popular combo.
    Our perfect Caves schedule:
    6:30 am Coffee and Baileys in the room
    8:00 am Breakfast and Bloody’s
    9:30 am Frozen Drinks on the Lounge Chair
    10:30 am Snorkeling
    11:30 am Frozen Drinks on the Lounge Chair or pool
    12:30 pm Lunch
    1:00 pm Nap
    4:00 pm Sunset Cocktails
    6:00 pm Showers
    7:30 pm Dinner
    11pm-3am Playtime in the Resort
    In the evening you have the place to yourself. The bars are self-service, the pool is great under the stars and the sauna is open.
    We have done the cave dinning twice and enjoyed it. I could not find any pictures handy. The set it up with the candles and the flowers as seen on the web. Just prepare dress, hair and makeup for a very humid experience. It is very comfortable but you are in a cave, so be prepared to sweat. The same applies to the Cave bar open after dinner.
    We really enjoyed the private bath and would recommend reserving that. The pictures are attached. It is in a private cave with locked door. It will be set up with champagne, fruit and chocolates. There are big windows that open to the ocean and a nice padded bench. Bonus the water is changed after each use, so it is not the typical resort hottub brew.
    While we are at the caves we find it hard to leave paradise.
    I also recommend the Spa for a morning or early afternoon treatment. We did a couples sunset massage which was great except my wife was outside, and you could overhear the Rick’s sunset music which kind of drowned out the tranquil spa vibe.
    You guys will have a great time.
    One last recommendation. We always go to the bank and take a stack of 5s and 10s with us to Jamaica. It is always nice to have the correct change and we are big believers in the power of tipping, even at an all-inclusive resort.

Name:  P1000578.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  90.7 KBName:  P1010062.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  95.4 KBName:  P1010059.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  97.0 KBName:  P1010058.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  92.8 KBName:  215.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  85.0 KBName:  160.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  80.2 KBName:  P1000579.jpg
Size:  89.3 KBName:  142.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  92.9 KBName:  P1000577.jpg
Size:  86.9 KBName:  P1010083.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  90.3 KB

User Info Menu

Your photos are so beautiful! We love staying at their sister property, Idle Awhile, and have also enjoyed our previous stays at The Caves. P.S. I LOVE your daily schedule!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmolecule View Post
    The Night of a 100 candles was great they took very good care of us. I attached some pictures below.
    I have also attached some caves photos. We stayed at the Blue Hole, Stardust and I think it is the Blue Dolphin. They were all great. We like the A/C of the downstairs units, but we actually did not have a problem with Stardust without the A/C. The Caves is our #1, but it is pricy in season, so we try to create the Caves experience at other properties. Every time we have been there ours as well as the other guests desires are met.
    Caves Positives
    Glass, Glass, Glass. I can’t say it enough and have included a few photos. We hate spending good money at a beautiful location and drink out of plastic cups.
    Truly All Inclusive. Whatever you want of great drinks and food. For the most part the high end alcohols included like grey goose. With that said they do charge for high end cordial’s and high cigars in the cave bar at night.
    Food is great. Recommend the Jamaican soups, especially pumpkin and at the caves you can’t go wrong with the ever popular combo.
    Our perfect Caves schedule:
    6:30 am Coffee and Baileys in the room
    8:00 am Breakfast and Bloody’s
    9:30 am Frozen Drinks on the Lounge Chair
    10:30 am Snorkeling
    11:30 am Frozen Drinks on the Lounge Chair or pool
    12:30 pm Lunch
    1:00 pm Nap
    4:00 pm Sunset Cocktails
    6:00 pm Showers
    7:30 pm Dinner
    11pm-3am Playtime in the Resort
    In the evening you have the place to yourself. The bars are self-service, the pool is great under the stars and the sauna is open.
    We have done the cave dinning twice and enjoyed it. I could not find any pictures handy. The set it up with the candles and the flowers as seen on the web. Just prepare dress, hair and makeup for a very humid experience. It is very comfortable but you are in a cave, so be prepared to sweat. The same applies to the Cave bar open after dinner.
    We really enjoyed the private bath and would recommend reserving that. The pictures are attached. It is in a private cave with locked door. It will be set up with champagne, fruit and chocolates. There are big windows that open to the ocean and a nice padded bench. Bonus the water is changed after each use, so it is not the typical resort hottub brew.
    While we are at the caves we find it hard to leave paradise.
    I also recommend the Spa for a morning or early afternoon treatment. We did a couples sunset massage which was great except my wife was outside, and you could overhear the Rick’s sunset music which kind of drowned out the tranquil spa vibe.
    You guys will have a great time.
    One last recommendation. We always go to the bank and take a stack of 5s and 10s with us to Jamaica. It is always nice to have the correct change and we are big believers in the power of tipping, even at an all-inclusive resort.

Name:  P1000578.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  90.7 KBName:  P1010062.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  95.4 KBName:  P1010059.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  97.0 KBName:  P1010058.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  92.8 KBName:  215.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  85.0 KBName:  160.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  80.2 KBName:  P1000579.jpg
Size:  89.3 KBName:  142.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  92.9 KBName:  P1000577.jpg
Size:  86.9 KBName:  P1010083.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  90.3 KB
    Last edited by Eden; 12-01-2012 at 09:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Some more pictures

I forgot to mention, our favorite dining spot at the caves is the little red table cliffside. They will be happy to serve you there as it is right next to the evening restaurant. In fact we got a little jealous when another couple posted a picture of themselves eating at “our table”.

Name:  PICT0020.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  92.6 KBName:  SNV30034.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  89.8 KBName:  SNV30026.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  94.2 KBName:  SNV30024.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  90.3 KBName:  SNV30008.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  90.2 KBName:  PICT0076.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  95.6 KBName:  PICT0069.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  89.6 KBName:  P1010092.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  99.0 KBName:  PICT0006.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  96.6 KBName:  SNV30040.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  93.7 KB

User Info Menu

Good stuff, thanks for posting and sharing.

My own experiences with flying from Mobay to Negril (also flew to Ocho Rios). Before the "New" Highway to Negril was completed I flew several times to Negril. 1st time was a charm, beat the bus by an hour. 2nd time had to wait a while for the pilot to show up and we landed in Negril about the time the bus arrived in Negril. 3rd time, not so lucky. Problems fueling up in Mobay and issues with the weather. Took off about 2 hours after the bus left. Had to buzz the landing in Negril 3xs to scare off some goats on the runway. Once we landed, our ride to the resort wasn't anywhere to be seen, had to wait almost an hour for ride to show up. I recommend doing the flight once, but weather and mechanical problems can effect the outcome.

Now that the "NEW" highway is completed the ride isn't as long as it used to be and hard to justify the extra expense for the flight.

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

We also loved the drive from Mobay, each time we had a private van which worked out great and always made the ceremonial stop at the cold beer joint. On our last trip we arrived late in the afternoon and the difference in time gave time to check in and go out for a great dinner on the cliffs. Many of the restaurants are shut down by 10 pm. We looked at it as getting and extra night, but it maybe saves a couple hours tops.

User Info Menu

Madmolecule, thanks for sharing! My wife and i are arriving at Hide Awhile next weekend. So stoked!! Ocean Villa as well. We really like the private location. Are there many things within walking distance? We dont mind walking a mile or so. I know that Moondance is next door (any opinions on the meals?). I also noticed Out of Town Pastries and maybe even Sexy Rexys are within walking distance.

Thanks!