Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 28 of 78 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerry G's TRAIL OF ASHES TOUR Final Chapter -- The Mighty Californian's return

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Gerry G's TRAIL OF ASHES TOUR Final Chapter -- The Mighty Californian's return

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Based solely on my own experience, I DISagree. I see it more like the sensitivity of a partnered dance. You can't really play full out with someone unless you are sensitive to their wants, needs, habits and desires, as well as your own.
    Lola,

Thank you for explaining what I mean by "how you flex" better than I ever could. And I also could not disagree with suzengrace more.

All visitors to Jamaica arrive with the same "social class" - that of a visitor to Jamaica. Who you are or what you do back home is unknown on the island (unless of course you are Prince Harry or someone like that) - so we all start out on an equal social status - that of a visitor to the island of Jamaica.

Ties to any community come from what you so perfectly describe as a partnered dance. And these ties can only become long-standing ties if you are sensitive to the real wants, needs and desires - not just a superficial (and generic) handshake or fist bump. And this can only happen if you are sensitive day after day and year after year. That is how long-standing ties are developed, it takes years living here daily.

As for jobs, your job back home is of no real concern to anyone who lives here. Although most everyone will make mention of what they do back home, when it starts to sound like a bragging right, well then, this is what I would consider not "flexing right".
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Gerry G's TRAIL OF ASHES TOUR Final Chapter -- The Mighty Californian's return

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Lola,

All visitors to Jamaica arrive with the same "social class" - that of a visitor to Jamaica. Who you are or what you do back home is unknown on the island (unless of course you are Prince Harry or someone like that) - so we all start out on an equal social status - that of a visitor to the island of Jamaica.

Ties to any community come from what you so perfectly describe as a partnered dance. And these ties can only become long-standing ties if you are sensitive to the real wants, needs and desires - not just a superficial (and generic) handshake or fist bump. And this can only happen if you are sensitive day after day and year after year. That is how long-standing ties are developed, it takes years living here daily.

As for jobs, your job back home is of no real concern to anyone who lives here. Although most everyone will make mention of what they do back home, when it starts to sound like a bragging right, well then, this is what I would consider not "flexing right".
    Well said Rob and Lola
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    Well said Rob and Lola
    word!
    my window faces the south

User Info Menu

I also agree with Lola's view..very true...but will say it is different when you have family ties to the island in regards to social class as well as your job -) and am not talking about what you do back in states ..but what one does for income on the island-Of course you dont go around bragging, but will get a different level of respect depending on what you do,own or who you hang with.. But it is like a partnered dance---excellent description Lola..
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by suzengrace View Post
    I also agree with Lola's view..very true...but will say it is different when you have family ties to the island in regards to social class as well as your job -) and am not talking about what you do back in states ..but what one does for income on the island-Of course you dont go around bragging, but will get a different level of respect depending on what you do,own or who you hang with.. But it is like a partnered dance---excellent description Lola..
    suzengrace,

Thanks for clearing that up. I think Lola and I disagreed with your comments because we thought you were referring to Gerry's situation. For Gerry and the advice being provided to him by those trying to help him, I suppose you must have been unaware that Gerry does not have family on the island. He also does not work on the island or have a job on the island. So Lola and I were not exactly sure how your advice applied to his situation, or the situation of virtually all the other visitors to the island that have been following this thread.

Thank you again for clearing up your comments.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Gerry
    I have family and loved ones since the 8os. I had a house up in the hils of ja. Anytime you want to be around some serious fun loving jamaicans,let me know! Negril is a tourist play pen. You really need to visit some places not far from there that will really blow your skirt up! or pants...lol
    Be around some people that really know the runnings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fun in the sun View Post
    Gerry
    I have family and loved ones since the 8os. I had a house up in the hils of ja. Anytime you want to be around some serious fun loving jamaicans,let me know! Negril is a tourist play pen. You really need to visit some places not far from there that will really blow your skirt up! or pants...lol
    Be around some people that really know the runnings.
    Same here Gerry. My offer to introduce you to my family stands.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

That's so nice. Really warms my heart. I would love to visit ....

Meantime, here is a bonus video:

User Info Menu

Here are some more pics:

Name:  goat dresses.jpg
Views: 2706
Size:  96.9 KB
    Pretty dresses blowin' in wind

Name:  goat lenbert.jpg
Views: 2667
Size:  100.3 KB
    Lembert of Love Bus

Name:  goat patty.jpg
Views: 2661
Size:  85.2 KB
    I visited Out of Town nearly every day

Name:  goat surf.jpg
Views: 2679
Size:  93.4 KB
    Surf is up in Negril, Jamaica

Name:  goats.jpg
Views: 2605
Size:  96.2 KB
    Love seeing goats by roadside

User Info Menu

Great thread gerryg, and thank you for all of your help Much appreciated. You are a great person.