Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 years later

User Info Menu

Re: 40 years later

More pictures from 1977 and 1978. Included in these photos is a photo of a woman who bought Mirage on the cliffs, then she and her husband built Charela on the beach, in the mid-late 1970s. She was French, married to a Jamaican. I think her name was Sophie--but I'm amazed that I can even remember her name so many years later. This week (4/13) I tracked down with the former owners of Mirage (Lauro and Michela). I got to know them quite well in Paris after they'd left Negril in 1981. I'll ask them the name of who purchased Mirage and built CHarela. Jack, a Harvard-trained dentist, who temporarily practiced dentistry in an open-air house on the beach in Negril in the 1970s, first introduced me to the owners of Mirage in 1977. He was a friend of my mother's. I stayed in the actual cottages at Mirage; they were located across the road in the West End, in a beautiful, well-kept garden. The first year, in 1977, there was no electricity. It was quiet and beautiful. The only way to get around in the West End was to walk. No traffic and not many people. No hustlers on the road. There were "Home Sweet Home Lanterns" for light at night. The bartenders at Rick's Cafe had to turn off the music whenever a patron requested a blender drink--the generator wouldn't support the blender and music simultaneously. Rick's was the "expensive" place in the area, a place we only went to once or twice. The Jamaicans would dive off the cliffs, but not at the place where they dive now. Most of my friends rented rooms--at Sammy's, I think. Showers at Mirage before electricity had limited hot water--hot water heated by the actual sunshine during the day (solar powered hot water). Eating in a restaurant in Negril took hours back then!
    Name:  IMG_0784.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  87.5 KB
    The road in the West End in 1978 Name:  IMG_0751.jpg
Views: 2215
Size:  89.5 KB
    Rick's Cafe Name:  IMG_0778.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  93.0 KB
    Sylvie, Owner of Charela in 1970s Name:  IMG_0786.jpg
Views: 2217
Size:  89.9 KB
    Last edited by vivnyc; 04-10-2013 at 06:37 PM.

User Info Menu

More pictures from 1977 and 1978. Included in these photos is a photo of a woman who bought Mirage on the cliffs, then she and her husband built Charela on the beach, in the mid-late 1970s. She was French, married to a Jamaican. I think her name was Sylvie--but I'm amazed that I can even remember her name so many years later. This week (4/13) I tracked down with the former owners of Mirage (Lauro and Michela). I got to know them quite well in Paris after they'd left Negril in 1981. I'll ask them the name of who purchased Mirage and built CHarela. Jack, a Harvard-trained dentist, who temporarily practiced dentistry in an open-air house on the beach in Negril in the 1970s, first introduced me to the owners of Mirage in 1977. He was a friend of my mother's. I stayed in the actual cottages at Mirage; they were located across the road in the West End, in a beautiful, well-kept garden. The first year, in 1977, there was no electricity. It was quiet and beautiful. The only way to get around in the West End was to walk. No traffic and not many people. No hustlers on the road. There were "Home Sweet Home Lanterns" for light at night. The bartenders at Rick's Cafe had to turn off the music whenever a patron requested a blender drink--the generator wouldn't support the blender and music simultaneously. Rick's was the "expensive" place in the area, a place we only went to once or twice. The Jamaicans would dive off the cliffs, but not at the place where they dive now. Most of my friends rented rooms--at Sammy's, I think. Showers at Mirage before electricity had limited hot water--hot water heated by the actual sunshine during the day (solar powered hot water). Eating in a restaurant in Negril took hours back then!
    Name:  IMG_0784.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  87.5 KBName:  IMG_0751.jpg
Views: 2215
Size:  89.5 KB
    Rick's Cafe Name:  IMG_0778.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  93.0 KB
    Sylvie, Owner of Charela in 1970s? Name:  IMG_0786.jpg
Views: 2217
Size:  89.9 KB
    Last edited by vivnyc; 04-10-2013 at 06:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow... so much fun to read about the good old days!

I first visited Negril in November 1975 as a 10 year old boy with my Father (his name was Scott and he stayed at Tensing Pen most of his visits and he walked with two canes...locally known as the man with the sick legs) and my seven year old brother and a group of my fathers friends.

We stayed at Sea Grape and Jenny from "Jenny's Cakes" was our helper around the place. She took my brother and me under her wing and she quickly became our Jamaican Mother through the three week stay.

Jenny told us the prior week before we arrived an up and coming singer stayed in the same house as we were staying at Sea Grape. His name was Bob Marley and she thought he would make it big some day. The album "Natty Dread" seemed to be playing throughout the entire vacation ( not sure how since electricity was scarce on the west end back in the day). In hind sight I think it is safe to say Jenny was spot on with this prediction!

My most vivid memory from that trip was up at Rick's Cafe. We were up for sunset and my Father and his friends began discussing how much it would cost them to see my father jump off the cliffs on the NORTH SIDE of Rick's.

$50 (1975 $50 keep in mind) was the number it took for my father to start crawling out to the edge of the cliff and jump. He asked my brother and me to meet him at the cove that now is where the world famous cliff diving happens. My brother and I ran down to the concrete slab with his canes and tennis shoes and waited for what seemed like an eternity for him to come swimming around the bend. Needless to say we were very relieved once we saw him because we were thinking he may have been hurt or drowned from the jump.

After typing this I'm wondering if my father was one of the first tourists to jump at Rick's? Anyone else have an earlier memory of jumping there?

Other memories were the old road from Mobay to Negril...Riding in an old VW Van...Wow what a ride. Much better ride these days with the new road.

I also remember the ice truck delivering big chunks of ice for the ice box and a huge truck that would deliver oranges for juice up on the west end. I also remember the sign "Stop at Brown's he's real cool" in front of his shop. "Jah Bah" and his shop across from Ten Sing Pen. Daisy and Gosnell and Miss May around the old "Rocky Dell" restaurant.

Almost 40 years have gone by but I still get back about once a year. My Father passed away about 30 years ago (we put his ashes in off the bridge at Tensing Pen) but he is still remembered up on the Cliffs and his grandchildren now are making memories in Negril.

The tradition continues...I'll try to post photos of the 1975 visit soon!
    Last edited by negrilmon; 04-14-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: misspelling

User Info Menu

Enjoyed your looking back, negrilmon. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Negrilmon what a great story. Is this Miss May you remember she is in the little yellow house across the road from Tensing Pen with Tony, she is fixing some curry goat for us in this picture.
    Name:  220452.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  70.3 KB

User Info Menu

Lane...That is May!...It seems like she was always down at Rick's around sunset.

Another memory from that 1975 trip was the phone down towards the roundabout. I wanted to call my Mother on Thanksgiving and I was told that was the only phone in town. We made our way down to the phone and the line was about 10 deep but we were able to get through to my Mother once our turn came up.

Now everyone seems to have a cell phone!

User Info Menu

Looking forward to those pictures~ What wonderful memories of your father.
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool

User Info Menu

love it thanks much
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

loving this thread!

User Info Menu

Does anybody still have a Ricks Weed Bead? Post a photo if you do.!!