Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 years later

User Info Menu

Re: 40 years later

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these old pics.More please
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

Actually, I just realized that my first trip to Jamaica was exactly 40 years ago today, January 2nd, 1972. We arrived when it was dark and were driven right up to Redground where some friends of our friends were staying. This place was just behind where the Red Dragon is now. It was uncomfortable for my friend and I because there were about 14 guys staying there so we moved about 7 houses up the hill to James Palmers cottage. Our Jamaican friend Berna told us that James Palmer was the first Jamaican to rent out rooms in his house. This was in a pretty densely population area of Redground, and we couldn't believe how fast the Jamaican people talked and couldn't believe they were speaking English, the fast patois was undecipherable to us. The next morning we asked someone for directions to the beach, walked down the hill and across the bridge and down a little path to the beach. I couldn't believe my eyes, the turquoise water, the white sand, and palm trees, tons and tons of them as far up the beach as we could see. Thousands and thousands of palm trees were cut down to build all of the hotels. The first place we came to after passing the West Indian Sugar Company building was T-Water, a two story motel type of place.

User Info Menu

oh man i'm hooked on these stories and pics. So cool to see what Negril looked like then compared to now. What a special place in time, and how blessed y'all must feel to have experienced it.

I'll be checking back on this thread for sure
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

It really is a great thread! The stories are spectacular.

You never see it coming ... and the next thing you know ... UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

User Info Menu

Great visuals Shelly. Punta Cana still has some tall palm/coconut that you don't often see anymore. In fact, I was quite surprised there was still some left in PC, Dominican

[/url]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Actually, I just realized that my first trip to Jamaica was exactly 40 years ago today, January 2nd, 1972. . . . The next morning we asked someone for directions to the beach, walked down the hill and across the bridge and down a little path to the beach. I couldn't believe my eyes, the turquoise water, the white sand, and palm trees, tons and tons of them as far up the beach as we could see. Thousands and thousands of palm trees were cut down to build all of the hotels. The first place we came to after passing the West Indian Sugar Company building was T-Water, a two story motel type of place.
    Shelly, I sure do remember that little path from the bridge down to the beach. The West Indian Sugar Company building was real old school colonial style. I remember that one evening there was a party at the building. I am not sure how the porch was able to hold the people standing, walking on, and dancing on it that evening. I also remember T-Water. It seems to me that in addition to the hotel, it also had a little bar where you could at least get a Red Stripe and perhaps a Rum and Coke.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    I first went in 1972 and stayed in Redground at James Palmer's - he was the guy that would sell shells on the beach.
    Shelly, loved your stories and it does remind me of some great times in Negril. Who knew 40 years could go by so quickly?

I was reading this forum and saw and saved a picture of the guy who I always saw selling shells on the beach.
    I did not realize that he lived in Red Ground. Since he was always on the beach, I thought he lived on the beach.

Is this James?

Name:  jamaica seashell guy.jpg
Views: 2089
Size:  62.5 KB

User Info Menu

MORE!! PICS !! PLEASE!! This year marks 25 for me...be down in a month..wish I had the time to get out some of our pics..someday after retirement i guess!

User Info Menu

Lets move on up to Rick's 1982, not the crowds of now, but more of a Zoo.
    Just Hanging out before Sundown.
    Attachment 21362
    The Opening Act the Juggler from Miami, notice the Top Hat for tips.
    His run at Rick's was short for he got hauled off to the Negril Jail Trailer for working with out a permit.
    We saw him hanging out the bared window asking for a Red Strip, he got 3 days in the lock up.
    Attachment 21363
    Something never change at Rick's
    Attachment 21364

User Info Menu

Boohoo lane, we can't see them.

[/url]