Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travelers Checks versus Debit Card

User Info Menu

Re: Travelers Checks versus Debit Card

We do credit card and traveler's cheques. Treehouse has always cashed them for us. I like the idea that the checks would be replaced is lost or stolen. But you have to pay for them now, unless your bank people cut you a favor, and even AAA no longer gives them for free. That was my first realization last year that things were changing. But when we got home it was a real surprise to find out home hard it was to cash them back in - no stores would take them - even the big super markets etc. I had to go back to the bank and cash them back in.

User Info Menu

I have had problems with the prepaid debit cards. Will never use those again! Have used my debit cards at the cash machines with no problems but NEVER use them for shopping or dining. Have gotten the traveler's checks from AAA and also like using those, as the places I frequently stay at will cash them for me, and it's better than bringing a lot of cash, though I still bring cash in smaller bills. Will only use my credit cards in case of emergency.

User Info Menu

I find debit cards to be most convenient and offer the best exchange rate. With my bank, I do have to notify them that I will be out of the country or else my card won't work. The only downside is that I have daily limit on how much I can take out of the ABM, which is usually around $22,500 JA. If it happens to be an excursion day and we later hit a nice restaurant for dinner, I can burn through that pretty quickly. On average, I probably hit the Scotia Bank ABM every other day.

User Info Menu

Mrs. Wilson, we got our travelers checks for our December trip from AAA with no fee.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Debit Card here, I'd recommend the HiLo or Times Square ATM. At Scotia Bank you'll be hassled by beggars and people wanting tips for point to the door for you. It's annoying and can be a little unnerving for some people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flipadelphia26 View Post
    Debit Card here, I'd recommend the HiLo or Times Square ATM. At Scotia Bank you'll be hassled by beggars and people wanting tips for point to the door for you. It's annoying and can be a little unnerving for some people.
    This is true. If I go to the Scotia Bank at the roundabout, I usually have a taxi wait for me, so that I can make clean getaway.

OT: One time I waved down a red plate on the West End Rd. to take me to the ABM at Scotia Bank. While I was inside the bank, a couple motorcycles/mo-peds were parked behind my taxi. I guess I didn't really notice this as I was making a mad dash to the car and avoiding the beggars. Apparently, my driver didn't notice either. He backed out of the parking space and knocked over one of the motorcycles. Soon, the taxi was surrounded by all the locals that spend their day sitting on the side of the bank, drinking Red Stripe. My driver got out of the car to deal with the owner of the bike and left me alone in the car. The hassle was pretty intense. Of course it was hot, so the windows were rolled down as random guys came up to the car, "Hey mon! Your driver hit my bwoy's bike! give me some money so I can buy a beer!" I tried telling them that I didn't have any money, but they just saw me leave the bank. Out of frustration, I gave a couple hundred J's to the guy who appeared to be the ring leader and he told everybody else to back-off. My driver finally got back in the car holding a shiny plastic cap that came off the motorcycle he hit. He said,"I have to replace this part. It will cost me $15 US!". I just chalked it up to another Negril adventure.

So yeah, the ABM machine at Time Square is definitely hassle-free and is owned by Scotia Bank. I haven't used the one at the HiLo, but I'll check it out next trip since it's pretty convenient to the West End.

User Info Menu

Ras Walleye -- I'm calling AAA here today to check. Last year they wanted to charge me and I was not happy. Left and got at the bank instead, now curious....

User Info Menu

Thanks to all of you for responding. I know I have options. I truly appreciate your help.

User Info Menu

Scotia charges a fee, but some Debit cards will reimburse it (Schwab does). A plus is they have 4 machines outside (2 dispense USD as well as JMD) so if one is down usually another one is available.

The Royal Bank (?) next to the Cambio is Visa network only

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    This is true. If I go to the Scotia Bank at the roundabout, I usually have a taxi wait for me, so that I can make clean getaway.

OT: One time I waved down a red plate on the West End Rd. to take me to the ABM at Scotia Bank. While I was inside the bank, a couple motorcycles/mo-peds were parked behind my taxi. I guess I didn't really notice this as I was making a mad dash to the car and avoiding the beggars. Apparently, my driver didn't notice either. He backed out of the parking space and knocked over one of the motorcycles. Soon, the taxi was surrounded by all the locals that spend their day sitting on the side of the bank, drinking Red Stripe. My driver got out of the car to deal with the owner of the bike and left me alone in the car. The hassle was pretty intense. Of course it was hot, so the windows were rolled down as random guys came up to the car, "Hey mon! Your driver hit my bwoy's bike! give me some money so I can buy a beer!" I tried telling them that I didn't have any money, but they just saw me leave the bank. Out of frustration, I gave a couple hundred J's to the guy who appeared to be the ring leader and he told everybody else to back-off. My driver finally got back in the car holding a shiny plastic cap that came off the motorcycle he hit. He said,"I have to replace this part. It will cost me $15 US!". I just chalked it up to another Negril adventure.

So yeah, the ABM machine at Time Square is definitely hassle-free and is owned by Scotia Bank. I haven't used the one at the HiLo, but I'll check it out next trip since it's pretty convenient to the West End.
    LMAO. Only in Negril.