Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Travelers Checks versus Debit Card

User Info Menu

Re: Travelers Checks versus Debit Card

Lola thank you especially for the tip. I finally found some travelers checks but I will also be using the ATM so I have options.

User Info Menu

I'm with RasWalleye on this ... we just returned from our trip to Negril. We took American Express Travelers Cheques... AE has a locator tool on their website for where to purchase them based on your zip code. I think I paid a small fee to purchase them at Citibank near me. For me, it's worth it for the peace of mind. Without getting too caught up in the exchange rates offered and as a matter of convenience, we were able to use the cheques and get cash at a couple of small stores on the beach road, and we were able to exchange for cash at Treehouse Resort. And as has been constant for as long as I can remember, the FX Trader Cambio by the HiLo honored them at the same rate as any other exchange -- no additional fees or different rate for traveler cheques. They also have a new set-up and their facility is separate from the grocery store...allows for more privacy in transaction. We found it strange that the cambio by Kuyaba "didn't have enough money" to exchange a $100 TC...? "Come back tomorrow..." Wishing you safe and happy travels...

User Info Menu

We are in Negril right now, and have been using AmEx TC at cambio by HiLo with no problems. $91.50 yesterday (same as cash)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Tip: If you want a few smaller JMD bills, withdraw X,900 or XX,900 and you will get a 500 bill and four 100's as part of the withdrawal.
    Good tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Flipadelphia26 View Post
    Debit Card here, I'd recommend the HiLo or Times Square ATM. At Scotia Bank you'll be hassled by beggars and people wanting tips for point to the door for you. It's annoying and can be a little unnerving for some people.
    I would say it is a unique experience using the ATM at Scotia Bank, maybe worth doing once. The Times Square ATM is much safer and you don't have to battle the crowds and beggars. Never tried the Hi-Lo ATM, I'll try next time.

I'd skip the travelers checks and go with debit cards from two different accounts from different banks, both with enough cash to get you through the trip should something happen.

User Info Menu

When we were there last time, Shamrock cashed a couple of $50 TCs for us to get us through. We arrived on a Sunday, and the cambio was closed!

[/url]

User Info Menu

WOW you guys are all so awesome. I knew I would find answeres from the Boardies! Thank you again. I'm not leaving for a few weeks so I'll keep checking back to see if anyone else jumps in with more tips. This is really great and I truly appreciate all of you for responding to my thread.