Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time to Negril in August!

User Info Menu

First Time to Negril in August!

Hi Everyone! My boyfriend and I are traveling to Negril for the first time in August. We are from Florida and wanted something a little different than an average vacation on a sandy beach so we chose Xtabi on the cliffs as our hotel. Any tips for places to eat or things to do? So far everything we've read about Xtabi sounds amazing.
    My main question is about airport transportation. I've read several recommendations on these forums for different local companies that sound great. However, Xtabi is offering to use their airport transfer service for $120 round trip which is cheaper than what I've found from anywhere else so far. We don't mind paying a few extra $$ if it really is worth it, but not if the difference is a single Red Stripe. What do you guys think? Is there really a difference between all these companies that offer the same service? Has anyone used Xtabi's drivers before?
    Thanks for your help! We look forward to hearing your tips!

User Info Menu

Contact Kingsley @ http://www.kingsleystakecaretours.com/ directly! Xtabi uses him for tranfers but it will be about $20 cheaper to book directly with him!!
    There are MANY good places to eat close to Xtabi - Just Natural right next door, 3 Dives on the other side, DeBar, Sips & Bites...to name a few!
    I have printed these maps in the past & highlighted places I'd like to try...don't always make it, lol, but it is helpful: http://www.travelsinjamaica.com/p/ne...verything.html
    I love Xtabi, hope you do to!

User Info Menu

Hey Dani! I always use ALFRED's IRIE RIDE- and that it is... He is always at the airport- even when the plane was an hour late, always wearing a smile. Want to stop no problem, want to crank the big island tunes, want to use the phone- its free, want to relax and take in the fresh air in Jamrock- Alfreds your guy. Then you can line him up for an excursion and get the ride back to MoBay for free. See ya next week Alfred!!!

Have fun Dani- dont worry bout nuttin- go walk around explore relax have fun!

User Info Menu

Love me some Alfred also!!

User Info Menu

as a rule....most "offered" Taxi service offers not a cheaper ride, but just for the convenience of the person staying there, he also I would think, would be open for "negotiations"...lol
    anybody else will, so why wouldn't he??

have fun be safe

(btw-my b day is aug 6, and we have been down for it, its HOT HaHa)
    Last edited by Rambo; 06-28-2011 at 11:39 AM.
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

Ummm...here's my thought/complaint....don't beat me up too badly.
    Let's think of this another way...while you're negotiating a $10-$15 dollar price difference for airport transportation, which is already only making these drivers a few dollars in the first place with the price of gas etc....and then the question is often asked where someone can donate items or help Jamaicans financially...why not just start by paying the fair price for airport transportation, go with a respected driver and not worry too much about whether you saved that minimal amount or not?

And...Dani...Kingsley is a lovey man...good, fair driver.

This wasn't directed at anyone in particular in this thread.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 06-28-2011 at 12:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Dani,
    Clives does shared transportation for $20 US, lots of people have reported on this board that most of the time they don't share the ride and it is still $20. I am giving it a try in August myself. Last trip I paid $70 with a tip and a different person, airport to Catcha on the cliffs one way.

User Info Menu

Dani.....you'll love Xtabi and there are some awesome restaurants right nearby as others have stated. Just Natural & 3 Dives are two of the best around! Alfred is an awesome guy and reliable driver. He can be found on this website. He offers free cell phones to those that use him for round trip transportation.

We have a roll call thread. Be sure to join it and you'll likely find others travelling the same dates as you. We always plan get togethers at the webcasts.

Here is a link: http://negril.com/forum/showthread.p...gust-Roll-Call

BTW...my wife & I will be there in August too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Ummm...here's my thought/complaint....don't beat me up too badly.
    Let's think of this another way...while you're negotiating a $10-$15 dollar price difference for airport transportation, which is already only making these drivers a few dollars in the first place with the price of gas etc....and then the question is often asked where someone can donate items or help Jamaicans financially...why not just start by paying the fair price for airport transportation, go with a respected driver and not worry too much about whether you saved that minimal amount or not?
    Good! Good!

Virtually every driver I know that does airport runs has a family to support. It costs about $25(US) in petrol for each round trip alone.

Xtabi is a lovely place. Never stayed there but have gone to eat there a few times.

User Info Menu

I use Dandy sugardandy70@yahoo.com Last time I paid $60. for the two of us plus a $20 tip each way. He greets me with a few cold ones and stops along the way for a likkle this and that...maybe a sip or some jerk at Biggas, more rum, some goodies.

For that two hour trip to Negril (considering stops), and the pleasure of good company, and the reliability of the man, It's well worth it to me. You can get there cheaper, but for me I like getting there better.