Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trying to reason with hurricane season

User Info Menu

trying to reason with hurricane season

thinking about a family trip in october and we got lucky a couple years back. had good weather and a storm came in the day we left. what have been other experiences going mid october??. i'm thinking we got lucky the last time and need to not chance it again.

User Info Menu

OS...it's never guaranteed with any weather!
    It is hurricane season...so if you do make the decision to come down again in October and you don't normally get trip insurance...I would strongly suggest it. Then you have less to worry about!

User Info Menu

I went in late September, early October a couple of years ago. There were many beautiful days and also a really intense tropical storm that lasted one afternoon and all night and cleared out by the next day. I actually enjoyed weathering the storm because I had never seen waves like that (at Samsara) along with extreme wind and rains. I had a covered deck area that looked towards the ocean, so it was quite an experience to observe from there while cranking tunes and drinking rum with friends. I also went out to the restaurant bar area which they had closed for the storm and watched from there--but I made security nervous--they were afraid I would get swept away by a wave. There were also some afternoon showers.

User Info Menu

Oh one thing was for a few days after the storm and for a day before it, the sea was too rough to swim in off the cliffs--so I went to the beach or swam in the pool for a few days.

User Info Menu

safety aside, its a Adventure, not for the person who is looking for complete R&R...you pitch in, and notice the smiles around you intensify....and when you go back, even if its years later, when they see you , or you them...... you will be closer to those people than you could believe.....
    it a closeness only surpassed as in live combat.......
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

Just got have an attitude of " Go with the flow".....You never know about Mother Nature-she can a be a fickle lady...Just be aware if you do go -it may happen...(ie hurricane-or one hell of a storm) I always go a few times during Hurricane season (usually July and end Oct to Nov) Great rates and not a lot of tourists and different weather...
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

Just dont plan a wedding in October and you should be fine! LOL
    We go every October and have always been lucky, that is until last year when we planned our wedding for 10-10-10 at Catcha and had the whole placed booked and planned for about a year only to have a Tropical Storm hit one week before we got married, did a lot of damage to Negril but the worst was at Catcha (our wedding) and Tensing Pen (our honeymoon) so I guess all those October's we got lucky ran out LOL
    Though I was heartbroken and sad, upset, frustrated and stressed out more than I ever have been.....I knew when planning my wedding in October that it was hurricane season, so its always a possibility no matter how many times you go with no storms....it's a chance you take....what can you do?
    We still got married and this year we will return for our anniversary......fingers crossed...no storms please! lol

User Info Menu

We are going the last of Oct. thru the 8th of Nov., so hoping we will be spared ay hurricanes!! Did not take any insurance, should we?
    Getting Old Isn't For Sissy's!!

User Info Menu

I get the insurance and get the upgrade. I would not be keen on heading down when it was in the forecast and most insurnce won't reemburse unless its a mandatory evacuation.

User Info Menu

I have been in 2 hurricanes in jamaica.. Just go with the flow..