Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April Trip Report-It's all about the food

User Info Menu

April Trip Report-It's all about the food

This was our 13th trip to Negril since 2006. We parked our butts on the beach at Coco La Palm and other than a short walk for lunch we didn’t move until happy hour and then to dinner. This trip we tried to not let sandy gravity take over for dinner and go somewhere different every night. Here are the restaurants in no particular order.

Wild Parrot-Loved this place for lunch. We ate here almost every day and ate almost everything offered on the blackboard. My favorite was the Greek Salad and the margaritas. The only thing better than the food was the staff. I wish they were open for dinner.

Le Vendome @ Charella was our favorite last trip and went here our first night. Not sure if there is a new chef but the pasta dish and pineapple dessert I ate many times on the last trip was not even close to the same. Everything my husband ordered was not available (at least 3 different things). Waitress was new and really had no clue about any of the dishes. Last visit the wait staff was exceptionally knowledgeable and everything was explained. Spoke to someone else who went a few nights later and they felt the same. I am hoping it was just an off week. I do love the ambiance here.

Marley’s By the Sea @ Coco has great shrimp scampi. Bob had lamb that was good too. I really wish they would change the menu though. It has been the same for years and could use some sprucing up.

Ciao Jamaica pasta was really good. We were 3 couples and shares our pasta dishes with each other. We all loved them. However we got a lobster pizza as an appetizer and it just wasn’t as good as the last time. To me the crust is the most important part and it was soggy. Also was pretty pricey for a few pieces of lobster. Lobster was out of season so I’m sure it was frozen and the reason it was skimpy. We will definitely be back for the pasta.

German Bar & Restaurant had a very limited menu. Pretty much had a few different Weiner Schnitzels, goulash and sausages. More food than we could eat and the prices were cheap. All the tables were full so we ate at the bar. I thought the staff could have been a little friendlier and had a weird vibe but this is just my opinion. Bob loved it.

Kuyaba was the trip favorite. The peppa shrimp appetizer and the bruchetta is to die for. Pasta and shrimp dishes were great too. This is not a cheap place to eat but for what you get it is well worth it. I also love that they serve Pinot Grigio wine. Most serve only Chardonnay which I’m not a fan of. We broke our deal and ate here twice. Brought friends the second time and they agreed it was there best meal too.

Shereta’s at Sea Wind is one of our favorite lunch places for burgers but this time we tried it for dinner. It was as good as lunch and they have a great wait staff and make a good margarita too.

Aunty’s was a last minute decision because someone was raving about it and said they ate there every night. Only choice was jerk chicken and red snapper which would have been ok but when I ordered it I didn’t realize I would be served the whole fish. They said the chicken was very spicy so that wasn’t an option for me. Thought it was a little over priced for what we got. No menu and no posted prices here so they can charge whatever they want. We did not ask first because we heard it was cheap.

Seastar Inn for the Saturday night buffet and show is always a favorite for us. I love the fried fish and mashed potatoes and don’t need anything else. You already know the show is amazing. I love love love Stephen West and wish he would sing longer. He got cut short this time because they had a girl singer and another guy who sang. I would be happy with just Stephen!

Our last trip we loved the Canoe, Bentley’s, Cosmos, Xtabi and Teddy’s Hideaway and were hoping to make repeat trips there but we just didn’t have enough days.

The taxi system is still a sore spot with us. Not looking to get route taxi prices but just want a fair price to get to and from. Early in the week we got ripped by one of the taxi’s across from Coco La Palm. We were going from Coco to the German Bar and asked for a price to which he replied $25. We offered $15. I think that’s fair. We gave him $10 to get there which apparently was a big mistake since he never came back for us. I guess we should have paid in total on the return. It then cost us another $7 to get back to Coco. They just don’t get it that you will tell others that also will not use them again. We love the restaurants that offer at least a one way free ride which we tip for. $22 is just too much money to add on to a pricey dinner when you are doing it most every night. You have to love Seastar and Ciao Jamaica who have figured it out that they will get more customers by providing transportation both ways.

We met many old friends and some new ones too. Looking forward to our November trip to do it all again. We are convinced there is no better place in the world.

User Info Menu

Re: April Trip Report-It's all about the food

So sad we didn't get to meet, esp since we were at Coco at the same time as you! I guess you got rid of your cast? I was looking, but never saw one! We loved Coco, but I do agree with you, it would be great if they'd change up their menu a little. We ate there a couple of times, but found the menu limited.

User Info Menu

So sorry we did not meet. Yes I got rid of the cast. It was velcro and would have been pretty messy. Some days after walking to lunch at the Parrot I had to reverse myself in the chair and put my leg up with ice on it. We missed our long walks on the beach. Did you meet Rasta Stan & Betty. We sat with them every day on the beach and of course Bob and I went to happy hour most days.

User Info Menu

I'm sure our paths crossed at some point, we also went to happy hour most nights. We did meet Rasta Stan & Betty, saw them around Coco but didn't actually meet them until our last night at Seastar. Most of our time was spent under the almond tree closest to the snack bar, we didn't venture over to the other side of the beach much LOL

User Info Menu

I love the Charela Inn and have stayed there many times but have always felt that La Vendome was a bit over rated. Ordering off the dinner menu has always been hit and miss but I have found that if you get each evenings chef's special it is usually excellent. There are so many wonderful places to eat in Negril. One of our recent faves is Sunset After Dark. Patrick does some amazing things with lobster and the seafood pasta is the best we've ever had, anywhere. Sadly they are only open during high season. An old favorite that never disappoints is Just Natural. They have moved further out on the west end but it is always worth the drive. Great food, great folks and the garden setting is positively magical day or night.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Thanks for the report, Mo. Mrs. D. and I are foodies, as well, and we always look forward our meals while in Negril. You gave us a few new places that I'd like to try next trip.

User Info Menu

Hi my name is Murph and I too am a foodie. Nice food report- needs pics tho so I can relly drool...

Yeah... I know what you mean at Auntie's... love Nackus and the crew but we went to get their $20 grilled lobsters after seeing them slinging them all day for $20... we pick our 2 lobbies out of the trap... Im about to watch em slice the live lobster in half... and I figured Id confirm its $20. We'll now these lil puppies are $80 each!!! I freak! "Dont Kill em!" Im from Maine- known for our $5.00 lobsters and there is no way Im tossing down $160US for two of them." So I tweaked a little, then we hopped in a cab and went to Ivans for lobster dinners! We talked it out the next day and all is good.

Lesson learned though- ask first how much before anything living gets cut in half!

User Info Menu

I'll never go to Aunties after hearing that.No posted prices no likey.I don't want to be taken advantage of at home or on vacation.I love Sunset after Dark and German bar.Great food good value.Fatties is also a favorite.

User Info Menu

$80 for a lobster?
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

I kid you not! I mean what are they at Ivans $25 or $30?... and its the bomb...

I'll still go n get their cheap stripes and rum punches... just no food