Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Regarding the route taxi incident that happened to Hussyband....

Administrator

User Info Menu

Regarding the route taxi incident that happened to Hussyband....

As I have already posted, all of us are deeply sorry this happened to them. It shouldnt happen anywhere, but unfortunately in this real world we live in bad things can and do happen to good people.

As Hussyband mentioned, the police are angry about this incident. These cowards as Hussyband described them, now have identifying marks including a busted windscreen and mashed up head. Along with the description of the vehicle, the Lilliput wording on the side and the actual picture of the vehicle, contrary to what some may think, the police will be working extremely hard to catch these thugs.

I was woken up this morning by a driver friend of mine about the robbery and the word has been out in Negril for everyone to look for this vehicle. Both the police and other drivers have been looking for them. Because the vehicle had Lilliput markings on it, its "route" is about 25 minutes outside of MoBay on the north coast, about 2 hours from Negril. They will have had to travel quite a ways to get back to their home area and there will be many people who will see them and many who are directly looking for them.

Now this brings up a point that I feel does need to be reiterated in light of what has happened. As me, Lisa and others have posted many times in the past, here is an old quote from an old thread that holds relevance today:

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Fact...
    The route taxi system was not designed with the tourist in mind.
    Fact...
    The going rates are set based on the typical wage for the local workers. The typical wage being less the $60.00us per week.
    Fact...
    In order to serve the growing tourism trade JUTA was created to specifically serve the travelers visiting the island. "The JUTA (Jamaica Union of Travelers Association) - Negril Chapter was formed in the early 1960's and was founded with 50 original members. JUTA was formed because of a need to provide tour and taxi movement in and around Negril as well as from International Airports and all tourist attractions and locations throughout Jamaica."

In summation...
    The route taxi system was created to serve the local population...while there won't be any reason visitors to the island are not allowed to use the route taxi system...it is a misconception for anyone to think it was created for visitors & local population alike...that was never the intention.
    This is important for visitors to the island to understand. While some compare the local route taxi system to the mass transit system in their own home towns, this is not the case. While in the absolute and most basic of definitions it may be true, towns such as Kingston and MoBay do have true mass transit buses with set fares and regular pick ups and stops. The route taxi system was put in place in those rural areas where mass transit buses simply are not an option. The route taxi system tries to fill the gap between mass transit and having no transit at all. It can be a complicated system even for those who use it everyday.

But unless you have lived here a long time, or have grown up here and have years of daily experience with the route taxi system, problems can and will occur. Even those living here can get into problem situations when getting into any route taxi that they do not personally know the driver. Lisa and I have seen thousands of Jamaican women refuse taxi after taxi until one comes by that they know personally and feel safe entering. This is the norm. These women do not just get into any route taxi, but are selective in their drivers. Many men do the exact same thing. Better to be safe than sorry...

For those who do know the system, having the "Lilliput" markings on the side of the car tells everyone who is experienced with the route taxi system that this driver is hours away from his route. This in itself means something is not right. The vehicle could be stolen or the driver is simply up to no good. They are two hours away from their local route. Locals who have daily experience with the route taxi system and do not know the driver would never get into this vehicle.

The first transportation system designed with visitors to the island in mind was JUTA. Since then, there have been many other union/associations of drivers set up to specifically serve the needs of visitors to the island including JCal, Maxi and the various parish associations now being created. The drivers have been trained and certified by the Jamaica Tourist Board and their vehicles do have the logo of the association that they belong to and they all have red license plates.

I hope that something positive can come out of Hussyband and his wife's terrifying experience. While in Jamaica, please leave the route taxi system to those it was designed for, the local populace.

And please take advantage of the thousands of drivers island wide who operate specifically for you, visitors to our island. Many, if not most of these drivers now offer complimentary cellphones for your use to call them when you need a ride. And should you not have a cellphone, ask the establishment to call a driver for you. And if you are around me or Lisa, we are always more than willing to help you obtain a safe ride.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Regarding the route taxi incident that happened to Hussyband....

Thanks for the info, Rob. Glad to know there is an alternative to the route taxi.

User Info Menu

Right on point Rob

Linston's route is Negril - Green Island and most of his riders know him personally. Sometimes he has potential rider pass him up because they don't know him. The route cab system in Negril is primarily for workers that travel to Negril and back to home. It's not really for visitors. The word gets around pretty quickly about who's a good driver and who's not.

If you try to save a few bucks (Cheap Charlie) by using the route system you'd better be well acquainted with the runnings. (like getting in t a cab way off his route and no "charter" sign in his window....... And visiting for a week or two every so often doesn't qualify. The route system is not for you it's for Jamaicans who must travel to work or shop.

If you think I'm saying this because Linston's my son and I ride for free think again. I PAY Linston for his time every visit even though I'm his Dad and financial supporter.

Just find a charter with a phone and rest easy.

Cap
    Last edited by captaind; 11-15-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Good point Rob - question for you - the drivers you list in the Transportation section - are most of them just for tours/airport transportation or are they available for a trip into town for supplies or just a taxi ride to get dinner? Is there a way to figure out which are available for "local" taxi services?

Administrator

User Info Menu

2nutz,

That is the best part about using the drivers we have listed in our Transportation section. We know them all personally, and most if not all will provide you with a free cellphone. If you need a ride anywhere - give them a call. If they are around they will come and get you. Should they be on another trip or tour, they will be able to arrange another driver for you. It makes for a hassle free vacation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    2nutz,

That is the best part about using the of the drivers we have listed in our Transportation section. We know them all personally, and most if not all will provide you with a free cellphone. If you need a ride anywhere - give them a call. If they are around they will come and get you. Should they be on another trip or tour, they will be able to arrange another driver for you. It makes for a hassle free vacation.
    Good point Rob - thanks. I'll speak to our transfer driver about the "local" stuff and probably take advantage of his free phone. I'd forgotten about that...

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Oh I get it now Rob,,,the Lilliput cabs were not designed for tourist??? I get it now......Hey when the Jamaicasn got to New York,is there a special cab they get for not getting robbed,Rob????? All the villagers never saw a car RACING down the road with a smashed windshield OR is it....Hey,the rich Tourist can afford to lose some cash?Right????? Walk tall,be aware,dont be TOO friendly.....

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Stripe View Post
    Oh I get it now Rob,,,the Lilliput cabs were not designed for tourist??? I get it now......Hey when the Jamaicasn got to New York,is there a special cab they get for not getting robbed,Rob????? All the villagers never saw a car RACING down the road with a smashed windshield OR is it....Hey,the rich Tourist can afford to lose some cash?Right????? Walk tall,be aware,dont be TOO friendly.....
    Fred,

Apparently you are not getting much of anything. The entire route taxi system was not designed with visitors to the island in mind. It was designed to allow the local populace in the rural areas to have transit. The New York City taxis were designed with all traffic in mind, locals and visitors alike. Jamaica had about 2 million visitors to the island last year, NYC had 52 million. You are comparing oranges with big apples....

The Lilliput route taxis are designated to run their routes in Lilliput which is approximately two hours from Negril. They are not expected to be operating in Negril. And once again, being a route taxi, they were designed with the local populace in mind, not the visiting tourists as has been stated.

Jamaicans are very aware of what happens in their local communities, and seeing Lilliput route taxi with a broken windscreen racing through their town is something they would remember, especially when that town is no where near Lilliput.

I am not sure why you are being sarcastic and wasting other's time over something like this.

User Info Menu

Another lesson I have taken away from this, is to not carry around more than what I actually need with me. Just enough cash, leave unnecessary valuables in the hotel. Very shocking story and a good reminder, that you're "not in Kansas anymore". Having lived in Miami and Philly for over a decade combined, you see this thing happen more often than it should in the states. Try to take those instincts with me to Jamaica.

Sorry about the mishap hussyband.

User Info Menu

We made plans with Steves Positive tours 3 or 4 weeks ago to take us to the places we know we want to be transported to and gave them the dates and times we want to go and they have been great.Emailed us a couple of times to make sure we are still set on our plans and times were right.I think this is the way we will go from now on.Decent prices and friendly people,that is what makes a great vacation stay great!!