Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1050555657585960616263 LastLast

Thread: Simply Portland...Utterly Devine

User Info Menu

Re: Simply Portland...Utterly Devine

The inspecting officer got a box cutter and smiled as he sliced through the tape that secured my cardboard Sunshine Liquors carrier. He carefully removed the bottles and placed them side by side on the table.

“Do you have more?”
    “Yes…..”
    “Could you take them out please?”
    “Sure…”

I pulled the first plastic bag from the carry-on and unraveled the brown paper from around the two bottles and sat them on the table.

The agent is checking what looks like a duty sheet against the brands I purchased. I go back to the carry-on and do the same with plastic bag number 2.

The officer’s eyes open wide. I’m nervous now and wonder if I could pay the duty with Jamaican currency because I’m sure I don’t have enough US cash on me.

I turn to retrieve the third and final bag when he stops me.

“You have more???!!!”
    “Yes.” I answer shamefully.
    “Look…” he laughs “don’t take them out. I’ll just assess these.” He leaves and goes to the payment window.
    “Can I pack these up?”
    “No…not yet.”

I scan the bottles and decide which ones I’m about to say good-bye to. Myers?? Port Royal White??? Rum Bar?? Oh man what was I thinking??

Two minutes he returns with what looks like a voucher.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I wouldn't surrender my liquor! Lol! I love seeing people carry those sunshine jamaica liquor boxes. Every since my first trip, I've been getting the secondary search as well. Thanks for continuing!

User Info Menu

“I tried to go easy on you, Ms. Vi, but you’ve got some collection here. The over-proof is what sent the amount up so high. He hands me the voucher. “Go to the window and pay the duty. You can pack up the bottles after you show me the receipt.”

I hold my breath as I look at the total I owe.

“What??? $81.00???? I had no idea it would cost that much. I don’t know what to do…”
    “Huh??? What??? No…no Ms. Vi. Look at it again.” He’s about to bust from laughing.
    “Oh…wow…really??? $8.10???”
    “Yeah. it wouldn’t have been that much if you didn’t have so much over-proof.”

I couldn’t get to that window fast enough and hand over the eight dollars and ten cent.

Showed him the receipt and he gave me a customs handbook and made me promise to read it before I fly again.

I wanted to kiss him.

1:05 AM…me and the 11 bottles made it home safely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaycee View Post
    I wouldn't surrender my liquor! Lol! I love seeing people carry those sunshine jamaica liquor boxes. Every since my first trip, I've been getting the secondary search as well. Thanks for continuing!
    LOL you feel me!!! Trust me Kaycee I was getting sick thinking about not bringing my booze home after all that I went through that day. But what a great end to what could have been a nightmare arrival.

This last reach was the only time I wasn't second searched since 2009. Girl, I was shocked when I got told to go on through.

User Info Menu

I added this incident (I know I used more words than necessary but that’s me) anyway I included it because I was clueless on the amount of duty that can be charged on more than the allowed two bottles of duty-free.

It could have been a lot worse. But soooo grateful to learn that the amounts, which are detailed in the handbook, are much lower than I ever expected.

I’m sure the handbook is on-line, but for the benefit of others who want to bring back more than the two duty-freebies, check your arrival port for the amounts. As I mentioned to Sandman, the rates go according to the price of the alcohol.

HOWEVER…on this return (October) I bought back SIX bottles and listed the purchase on my customs form since now I’m not afraid of the duty charges.

They didn’t even charge me for ONE!!! Just marked the form and told me to have a good evening.

Go figure!!!

User Info Menu

Honesty is always the best policy when it comes to Customs. About 20 years ago my girlfriend and I were returning to Canada after a trip to Wyoming. I had 4 24packs of beer which I declared not having any idea how much duty I would have to pay. He had a look and sent us on our way.

Vi- I don't recall the amount, only that it seemed like a lot. What I remember most is being last in line to pay and that the line moved sloowwww. By time I was free to go the tiny Saskatoon airport was pretty much deserted, my girlfriend was sitting there waiting for me.

I have to critique your selection though - what, no cocomania???
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Rum cream looks good! Tried JB, burned my throat. Im a "virgin" drinker. Lol!

User Info Menu

Sandman, Nice break they gave you on the beer. Bet it made it taste all that much better. I agree I won’t even try to lie to anyone who has the power to not only fine me, but restrict me from traveling to Jamaica.

I have to critique your selection though - what, no cocomania???

LOL although I love the colorful bottle and the aroma, I’m not a fan of flavored rums because they are often too sweet for me. I regret buying the rum cream because I know I won’t be able to drink it. But this guy talked me into getting it.

You an Mrs. Sandman must be getting pretty excited about your upcoming visit. Feel free to ask me any questions either here or via PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaycee View Post
    Rum cream looks good! Tried JB, burned my throat. Im a "virgin" drinker. Lol!
    Kaycee I can't drink JB, Appleton or Port Royal White without a chaser or just on the rocks. Not only do they burn going down but I swear they numb my tastebud!! No fun in eating Jamaican food if you can't taste it!!! Hey darlin, if you want that bottle of rum cream, I'll send it to ya.
    Last edited by *vi*; 11-22-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: correct a typo

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Really?? I will definitely take it