Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to Cuba

User Info Menu

Re: Traveling to Cuba

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS, TRAVEL TRANSACTION LIMITATIONS: The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Department of the Treasury and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba, or that the transactions in question be exempt from licensing requirements. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

basically no tourism from us citizens
    Last edited by Beebeluv; 10-26-2013 at 02:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Another reason that makes me proud to be a Canadian!

User Info Menu

I've been wanting to go there big time for years..it just keeps calling me..Idealy I prefer to go with peeps that have done it then learn the ropes. I keep saying to myself it justifies my 5 week stay in Negril (cliffs)....going to go to Cuba...never happens.

User Info Menu

Obviously, it is not a good idea to violate a government embargo. And yes, if caught, at the very least it will be a major pain in the ass.

But, at the same time, I'd love to see Havana... and I don't think it will be the same place once the Americans are "allowed" to visit. If there were direct flights from Jamaica to Havana, and it makes no sense that there aren't any, I would certainly be tempted to take my chances.

Some of the best travel experiences of my life were against State Department recommendations, and, lets face it, there has been a few times in my life that I have knowingly violated certain laws that I do not agree with. Never violated an embargo, but, hey, always a first time.

If anyone does go, this site seems to have some good information.

http://www.cubatravelusa.com/Travel_Tips.htm

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have been to Cuba a couple times, and not sure it would be worth the trouble if I was an American?
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

Hi, I went to cuba from montego bay two years ago and it was amazing! Cuba wont stamp your passport and they love american tourists.
    I know a couple people who own sailboats in Jamaica and they cruise to Cuba often... you can always hitch a ride w them.

User Info Menu

I don't know,last time I saw him he was headed ta Cuba,haven't heard from him since(grin)

User Info Menu

The American fascination with Cuba really amuses me. We've been and frankly, I will never waste my time or money to go back there. If I was given a trip, I wouldn't go. Just my humble opinion... A lot of people love it, but there is no comparison with Jamaica. The beaches, people and food are all better in JA!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2nutz4travel View Post
    The American fascination with Cuba really amuses me. We've been and frankly, I will never waste my time or money to go back there. If I was given a trip, I wouldn't go. Just my humble opinion... A lot of people love it, but there is no comparison with Jamaica. The beaches, people and food are all better in JA!
    It's like alcohol to a teenager. Illegal to have it. Must get it.

Not as big of a deal once you're of age.