Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: If you love Jamaica let me see your hand - A Trip Report

User Info Menu

Re: If you love Jamaica let me see your hand - A Trip Report

The whole vibe at Catcha changes at 5pm. There is a different energy in the air as business in the restaurant and the bar picks up. I think after the calm of the day it is a welcome change. It is fun watching the first time visitors walk out to the cliffs with wonder in their eyes. I recognized the look from such moments as the two of us the day before.

Sunshine was eager to sample some of the funky fungi he had picked up from Connie. We agreed that they were unlikely to hurt the sunset any, so when we went to back to the room to clean up a bit, we munched on a few.

One of the nooks a bit lower down on the cliff had been vacated and we made ourselves at home. Sunshine had the sudden need to take my picture from just about every angle imaginable. He did get some good ones.

I know they aren't even remotely Jamaican, but I do love me a good frozen margarita. I had promised myself at least one on the trip and tonight was going to be the night. Sunshine left me with the setting sun and headed up to the bar.

He returned with this glorious mountain of margarita in a beautiful hand blown glass. It was perfect. I was terrified I was going to break the glass, but it was so worth it. A swear the lovely presentation made the drink taste that much better. It was so good I had another.

We could hear the buzz of the dinner rush up above us. I know from a few back-and-forths to the bathroom that is was really pretty busy. It was like we were in our own little universe. There were all these diners above us staring out at the sea with no idea we were lurking one level down on the cliff face, totally obscured from sight. We'd found our groove and were having a ball. At one point I was laughing so hard I had tears streaming down my face. I had resorted to using the hem of my dress to mop the tears away, which seemed to only make me laugh harder. Laughing until it hurts is good for the soul.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seveen View Post
    i don't see a picture --- and i'm craving that view lol
    How's that for quick service?

User Info Menu

I think it was about 8:30 when we finally wandered up to get some dinner. The bar was still busy but things had slowed in the restaurant. When we walked up the stairs together, one of the waitresses simply asked "Are you ready?"

With a nod, she led us over to the high table by the pool which was all beautifully decorated. It sure felt like the best seat in the house. It also totally suited the 'lost in our own little world' day we'd been having. It felt like we'd gotten the elements of the Night of a 100 Candles we'd appreciate most without have asked for a thing.

Sunshine had the pineapple chicken. I had the seafood linguine. He let me have a bite of his. Yummy, but nothing could have possibly been better than that bowl of linguine. The pasta was perfectly cooked and though the sauce was rich, it wasn't overwhelming. I loved that there was fish in it too, not just seafood. He thought his was the best, so I guess we each chose really well.

Though we absolutely didn't have room for it, when our waitress came to ask if we wanted to desert we couldn't say no. She was about to turn to get us menus when instead I asked, "If you could only have one, what would you chose?"

Without pause, she replied, "Peanut butter swirl cheesecake."

"Sounds perfect; one slice and two forks, please!"

As we waited for her return we looked around. We were the only people in that half of the restaurant. So we pulled out a sub and lit it up. When our waitress returned with our cake, we clearly caught her off guard. For a moment that perfectly composed wait staff veneer dropped and a genuine laugh bubble out. She caught herself quickly and with an "It's all irie," she placed the cheesecake slice between us and left us to our dessert. She'd made a good choice, it was so good we almost licked the plate.

When we finally returned to the Gatehouse, we sat out for a bit on our patio. The street was hopping and we really enjoyed listening to the locals coming and going. There seemed to be a bit of a gathering at the base of Seastar lane, at least that is what is sounded like from our vantage point. It was nice to hear but not be seen. When we eventually called it a night, it was the happy sounds of the neighborhood that lulled us both to sleep.

User Info Menu

I can relate to all of this. Great report so far!

User Info Menu

you definitely GET IT! and you all have so much more to do --- lol --- gotta get your own driver for the day

User Info Menu

Great report! Thanks! Riding me over until our trip perfectly!

User Info Menu

Ditto that Kikn!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CherryNorth49 View Post
    So good to see you back on the boards! I am sorry that you won't be getting back this year. Just think of how much more you will appreciate Negril having just contrasted it against Mexico. I'm not done with you in this report yet - you haven't introduced me to the overproof rum yet! Sunshine sends a big hi hello your way. Pass on our best to Frank too
    LOL the overproof rum!!! Please send my hello to Sunshine

Between you and Irie Always I was actually checking airfare for February!! Oh how I wish - Once Bri is out of college I'm hoping not to have to think so hard on planning a trip!!! I am going to play the lottery each day and cross my fingers.

I agree so much about Catcha with you. It is such a special place.

User Info Menu

Cherry really nice pics Sunshine took of you...
    Thanks so much for your report now I'm considering staying at the cliffs some day
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home"
    Drink Eat be IRIE!

User Info Menu

Fantastic report! Keep it coming!