Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast

Thread: If you love Jamaica let me see your hand - A Trip Report

User Info Menu

Re: If you love Jamaica let me see your hand - A Trip Report

"The whole vibe at Catcha changes at 5pm. There is a different energy in the air as business in the restaurant and the bar picks up. I think after the calm of the day it is a welcome change."

That sums it up so well. Catcha is just an awesome place with a wonderful vibe. As you continue to return you will really get to appreciate the staff.........

thanks for sharing

User Info Menu

Beauty of a report so far. You like to post like I do with some words and a picture to capture and relate what you are talking about. Look forward to continuing to follow. Hope my report in January does us Canadians justice!
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

Your pictures are marvelous!

Not often someone shares their perfect day with perfect strangers, thanks. You relay the vibe, the stream of consciousness of your day as it flows from dawn through the ebbs and flows of drink, food, smoke and smiles, in a provocative way winding down to rolling into blissful sleep. This report is provoking me to book, damn it!

User Info Menu

Chapter 8

“I've got nothing to do today but smile.”
    ― Paul Simon

Well, what do you do after having had an absolutely perfect day? Of course, there is the see if you can make it two in row approach. Instead we decided to just be thankful it happened at all while quietly hoping that there was not some karmic force at work waiting to deliver a giant wallop when we least expected it.

This day at Catcha started out very much as it had the day before. I love how dark the Gatehouse is. Personally, I find light far more of an enemy to sleep than noise. Not that there was that much of it, but scooters zooming, dogs barking or stereos blaring aren't likely to bother me at all. I can sleep right through. The gatehouse was cool and dark, so it was not an early start to the day.

Ivan's for breakfast and then to my lounger. As it’s the third day my butt has been on the same chair, it has officially become my lounger. You all can use it when I'm not around, but I'm retaining my claim.

The sea seemed relatively calm, so I decided it was time we went for a swim. Good friends of ours had loaned us snorkel gear, which was at risk of starting to collect dust. I don't know when I became a total fraidy cat about swimming in deep water, but it appeared as though I had. Though a bit of a distant memory, I was a competitive swimmer all through high school. I spent almost as many hours each week in the pool as I did in school. I may not be as fit as I once was, but I'm not at immediate risk of drowning.

I go to one of the lowest platforms at Catcha. Sunshine goes for the giant leap into the sea and comes up all smiles. I tense up and instead end up backing down the ladder. Just like removing a band-aid, entering the water is best done quickly. Instead, I'm drawing out the misery. At the bottom of the ladder and in water already up to my knees I 'jump' in. Sunshine had a pool noodle ready for me. Good thing, because the stress of that stupid ladder has my heart going a treat. I don't know how long we were actually in the water, but a part of me spent the whole time dreading the fact I was going to have to go back up the ladder. I roll my eyes at myself sometimes.

All that said it was still fun splashing about.

It was great to see Catcha from the water. It gave me a different perspective on how perfectly tucked into the cove the resort really is.

We hadn't brought fins, just the masks and snorkels. Next time I will get fins from the office, so moving about is a bit easier. I didn't realize they had snorkel equipment available for guests to use. I might not have dragged my own down if I had known.

Later, when I really examined the water issue, I came to the conclusion that it isn't really the water that is the challenge. The waves pushing me into the rocks freak me out. I am not a big fan of heights and I don't like ladders. So the water itself is good, it's getting in and out that is the problem.

Was it wrong of me to email this picture to my colleagues at about 3pm that Monday afternoon?

We pretty much spent the afternoon in la la land and it was good. I had grand designs on seeing the neighborhood around Catcha, but it was not meant to be. We talk about sand gravity, but what do you call it on the cliffs? Whatever it is, we had a serious case of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    As you continue to return you will really get to appreciate the staff.........
    I am very much looking forward to that being the case. I have heard such great stories on the board of other's interactions (yours included ) with resort staff and the locals in general and I want those experiences for us too. It is something I thought we might get a bit more of on this last trip, but moving to the West End was like being a newbie all over again. I was just so sucked into the physical beauty, atmosphere and Sunshine's company.

I really believe Negril is worth making the effort to get to know. We are in it for the long haul. Part of why we chose Seastar for our upcoming trip is it seems like it will lend itself really well to getting out and exploring a bit more. We've got a few days at Catcha first to unwind. Then it will be time for us to get out onto the road!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Beauty of a report so far. You like to post like I do with some words and a picture to capture and relate what you are talking about. Look forward to continuing to follow. Hope my report in January does us Canadians justice!
    Thank you. I look forward to reading/seeing your report. We'll be in withdrawal and needing our fix!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bjritz View Post
    Your pictures are marvelous!

Not often someone shares their perfect day with perfect strangers, thanks. You relay the vibe, the stream of consciousness of your day as it flows from dawn through the ebbs and flows of drink, food, smoke and smiles, in a provocative way winding down to rolling into blissful sleep. This report is provoking me to book, damn it!
    Book it! Then come back and tell us all about it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CherryNorth49;112867

Was it wrong of me to email this picture to my colleagues at about 3pm that Monday afternoon?

We pretty much spent the afternoon in la la land and it was good. I had grand designs on seeing the neighborhood around Catcha, but it was not meant to be. We talk about sand gravity, but what do you call it on the cliffs? Whatever it is, we had a serious case of it.

[/FONT
    [/SIZE]
    LOL - I don't think so, but they might disagree

I call it Cliff Gravity (I know, not very original) and I find it much stronger than sand gravity, especially when at Catcha. I love that place, hopefully I can talk Mr. Nutz into a return visit sometime soon, but he really loves the beach...

User Info Menu

what a wonderful way to start my day, reading your report. . . . thank you. i feel like i'm right along with you . . .

User Info Menu

Here's some of our friends, who we regularly keep in contact with. First of all Garnett, who we met at Couples Negril about 6 years ago. Now we go to their home on top road in Little London. Wife Camesha, daughters Colleen & Carla {who we met when she was just 2 months old} plus we also know some of Garnett's neighbors. Like Clifton, miss Cherry, Rasta Donnie. Paul Sundal, the amazing singing bartender from Club Riu. Carron, at the guard shack at Coco, and of course Lenbert! Lenbert for president! I'm thinking I'm missing somebody.. But , yeah the friends made and to be made are to be treasured and fun! Like Jimmy Cliff said "We all are one" or Bob "One love".. Let's see, as I'm looking at the Calendar.... we are at 17 days. soon come. Oh, I forgot Clive & Judith & children Stacy, mickey, collette & prince. You'll see Clive & Judith's "Cold Beer joint" on the left side of the road, before the bridge on the road to Sav. Stop in, they'd love to see ya. Respect mon'