Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: If you love Jamaica let me see your hand - A Trip Report

User Info Menu

Re: If you love Jamaica let me see your hand - A Trip Report

Thank you for lovely reporting. Big up to the Castle as well for being so cool.

User Info Menu

As I am now just less than 40 hours from boarding my plane your stories brought tears to me eyes! My husband is coming with me this year for his first trip, it's my 2nd trip...I haven't stopped telling him how glorious it is since I landed home last year. Negril really is the closest think I can compare heaven to. I already know I'll be up all night for the next day and a 1/2 and I'm OK with that!

Gracious! My bags are packed and darn near at the door! I cannot wait to wake up in paradise....
    Negril, Jamaica me crazeee

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Breathtaking pictures!

User Info Menu

Seems like the herbal meds and some love and attention fixed sunshine right up
    Write on Cherry !
    ~D~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax2 View Post
    Seems like the herbal meds and some love and attention fixed sunshine right up
    Write on Cherry !
    ~D~
    No need for Imodium!

Great report lady! The penthouse is a really nice room, outside of July that is with the lack of AC.... Really cool outdoor shower too......

User Info Menu

Waiting patiently for more (fingers drumming...)

User Info Menu

Around 2 o'clock, we decided we had been sufficiently lazy and that perhaps we might leave the castle grounds. I suggested we head over to PeeWee's to see if we might get some lunch. We were venturing out but we certainly weren't going far.

Walking up to the bar at PeeWee's it was completed deserted. There were sounds coming from the kitchen though, so we poked our heads in a said hello. I think it was Danny in the kitchen. He came out introduced himself and got us a pair of Stripes.

One of the things I told myself before we arrived in Negril was that I needed to be better at telling people what it was I wanted. Everything in Jamaica is no problem, as long as you know what it is you want. My impression from our first visit was that I was just confusing people when I was being vague. The 'What to do want?'/'Well what do have' dance just wasn't working.

We were hungry, so I asked if he were serving food. He paused briefly in contemplation. 'What do you want?' he asked.

"Something for lunch," I replied.

"Chicken?"

"Sure, with some rice and some veg maybe?"

"Okay, I can't cook for you right now, but I can get it no problem. I have a friend nearby who has a shop, he will bring it here"

I'll admit that wasn't how I'd expected this to go down, but I'd said what I wanted and he was sorting it out for me. I had a momentary concern about what this solution might cost. "Sounds, good but I don't want it to be too expensive."

"Is $10 each good?" Danny responded.

"Perfect."

So Danny pointed to the cooler with the Red Stripe and told us to help ourselves and just let him know how many we'd had. I can't even imagine what our local liquor inspector's reaction to that might be. Danny got on his phone and wandered back into the kitchen. So we sat back and just let it all soak in.

About 20 minutes later he walked back out and let us know our food was here and he needed that $20. No problem.

Our food delivered he ran back into the kitchen to get us real forks and knives. We got fried chicken with pineapple sauce, rice and peas and some cabbage and carrots. It was delicious. The portions were huge however and we came nowhere near finishing. We had no real use for the leftovers, so Danny asked if we might leave it with him for the local dogs. I am so glad he suggested it, because where I come from, you don't feed animals in the street. I just wouldn't have thought of it.

He asked if we smoked and we allowed as we did. He offered us up a lovely big sub and we just couldn't say no.

At some point it became clear why he couldn't cook us lunch. He was too busy cooking a meal for what I assumed was his family. We sat at the bar and watched 8 or 10 folks arrive and gather around one of the tables in the back. Danny served up the meal and joined in the festivities. We enjoyed our private bar and kept up a count of our Red Stripe consumption, but no one seemed very worried.

I am amazed by how well behaved the street dogs in Negril are. We'd gained a companion who seemed content to just have someone nearby while he had his afternoon nap.

Have I mentioned Sunshine works in lighting? He is pretty into it. I have become accustomed to the fact that everywhere we go, the first thing he notices is the lighting and if it is visible, the electrical setup. Negril is a gold-mine of not precisely to code and yet perfectly effective solutions. If you catch him staring up at the ceiling, he is probably checking out the lights. When Sandy was delivering a glancing blow to Negril last year, I showed him a few pictures from the board. The first thing he says? "Wow, they have striped the wires right out of that building; that is amazing!" He says nothing about the evidence of the wind, the menacing skies or the lack of people and furniture. He is far more curious about how to make the lighting hurricane ready.

So what was our first big winner in the cheap and cheerful lighting solutions category? The ubiquitous black bag used as a lamp shade. We decided it was probably practical and effective, if not precisely to code. It was nice to see a vintage Manitoba license plate on display as well.

As we were starting to feel the urge for an afternoon nap, Elvis arrived to mind the bar. We settled up our tab and wandered on back to the castle, with a stop at L&M Grocery first. I'd heard so much about this Sangsters Rum Cream that when I spotted a small bottle I just had to give it a try. A few supplies laid in we wandered back to our Penthouse.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    No need for Imodium!

Great report lady! The penthouse is a really nice room, outside of July that is with the lack of AC.... Really cool outdoor shower too......
    Skipping AC in December was worth the risk, but it in the calm of July I can imagine you'd just bake. That shower is now the standard by which all showers are measured. I will have pictures...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Babee View Post
    As I am now just less than 40 hours from boarding my plane your stories brought tears to me eyes! My husband is coming with me this year for his first trip, it's my 2nd trip...I haven't stopped telling him how glorious it is since I landed home last year. Negril really is the closest think I can compare heaven to. I already know I'll be up all night for the next day and a 1/2 and I'm OK with that!

Gracious! My bags are packed and darn near at the door! I cannot wait to wake up in paradise....
    Have a great trip! I have no doubt your husband will fall in love pretty instantly too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollfarmer View Post
    Cherry, I just thought I'd let you know about a book, that I've read about five times {Good to take on the airplane} It's called "Walk Good, Travels to Negril Jamaica" by Roland Reimer. Go to Amazon, used or kindle etc. The writing I would say is similar to yours....details! details! Keep up the posts. It's turning into a highlight of my days! Farmer
    You are too kind. Walk good is on my reading list. Having read some of his trip reports, I am flattered to be compared in any way to his writing.