Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Thank You to this site and all posters

User Info Menu

Big Thank You to this site and all posters

Huge thanks to all that share information on this board. First return to Negril since the 80's for me - don't even ask what's wrong with me, I think I'm cured now, will be back regularly - and the advice and info shared here truly helped to make our trip more enjoyable by limiting the hit or miss aspect of most vacations to an unknown place. Of course a lot of changes to the area, but Negril is still a very special place. Cannot adequately explain to others that have not been there, the magical/mystical process that envelopes you and transports you to a different level of awareness when in Jamaica, and especially when in Negril. A big thing today in some circles is living in the moment, the power of now, and all that sort of stuff. A person certainly gets a big dose of that watching a sunset in Negril. Certainly I do. Nothing else seems to exist in the world during those Negril sunsets. From Cosmos beach to Canoe and up to Sir D's. Of course preaching to the choir here.
    Again, thanks to all for info regarding transportation, accommodations, eats, and sights to see.
    My big thumbs up to:
    Kingsley, and his son Damien, for private taxi service. Based at Xtabi.
    Breakfast at Pablos and Canoe and Blue Cave Castle. And yes, very good coffee at Canoe, however best I ever had was at Charela at the bar.
    Unbelievable.
    Lunch and dinner - any small place up and down One Love Drive. Didn't have any bad food experiences. Aubies burgers are special and the two for one
    lobster at Canoe is a great deal. Red Dragon is worth a visit or two.
    Drinks - My favorite ended up being No Limit. Really liked the owners, vibe, and prices. Also Sir D's is a really unique place to check out.
    Couldn't wait to get back to PeeWees, but only went once. Only time I got sad while in Jamaica.
    Seastar Saturday nights. Fun stuff.
    Bar Crawl courtesy of Lenbert. More fun stuff.
    Jamaicans. What a People. Walk whenever, wherever you can. Meet people. Talk to people. The absolute best.

User Info Menu

Re: Big Thank You to this site and all posters

Sounds absolutely wonderful!!!

User Info Menu

Welcome Back!
    "Never Sit With Your Back to The Door!

User Info Menu

Your trip report is pithy, but helpful.
    A thank you back to you!
    Last edited by Rum-polephoreskin; 12-06-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    That rug really tied the room together.

User Info Menu

You're most welcome. And pithy as in hemingwayesque, right?

User Info Menu

Sure!*

BTW Have you read "Hemingway's Boat" (assuming you're a Hemingway buff)?
    Possibly the best Hemingway Bio out there.

* I copied your report (above) for my to-do suggestions for my next trip.
    Last edited by Rum-polephoreskin; 12-06-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Addtional info

User Info Menu

Was fishing unabashedly and undeservingly for compliments. Thanks for the strike.
    Have not read it, but will with the recommendation. Not a huge Hemingway buff, have read a few shorts and novels, but a big fan of good bios.

User Info Menu

At the risk of side barring - although it does deal primarily with Hemingway in the Caribbean (next island north) and it explains so much about what was going on with Hemingway (internally) excellent as a Bio and excellent for Hemingway fans.

There is one aspect of the story that blows the Hemingway machismo mystique to smithereens.

User Info Menu

Yes, you ARE cured !

User Info Menu

Forgot to mention lodging in previous report.
    We stayed at Xtabi due to location, setting, accommodations, and of course price. We were very happy with the choice. About half way up the cliffs with property on both sides of the road. The pricier digs on the cliffs are really on, and hanging over, the cliffs. Really beautiful. We stayed in one of the oldest buildings on garden side and loved it. Our door opened up to the pool, which was rarely used and hence pretty much our own private pool. A very interesting part of our trip was that the one person that did use the pool the first few days we were there was a guy by the name of Hank who told us he was the original owner and developer of Xtabi. Lives in Europe now and visits once in a while. I was certainly enamored of Negril back in late 70's and early 80's and here was a guy that went back way further. And he was most willing to talk about the old days, so I got to hear a lot of stories.
    Xtabi also has a great bar area overlooking the water and some sun decks. A great restaurant serving all meals, but a lot pricier than the smaller restaurants out on the road. Some very cool caves with stairway access. And of course many places to jump into the water with ladders for egress.
    Great staff everywhere - housekeeping, hotel, restaurant, bar, security.
    A great place to stay, especially for price. Found a super deal on Expedia.
    Last edited by littlestevie; 12-06-2013 at 03:10 PM.