Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tobacco smoking...New law

User Info Menu

tobacco smoking...New law

Can someone explain to me the new law in Jamaica against cigatette smoking. coming down soon and do not want to get hit with what I hear are some pretty hefty fines! Thanks

User Info Menu

Re: tobacco smoking...New law

My best advise would be just don't do it

User Info Menu

Roughly it is no smoking in enclosed areas. Just ask where you are at and they will let you know. Doing it is one thing, enforcement is something else.

User Info Menu

No public places or spaces in the simplest form.

User Info Menu

I hadn't heard of this. Will have to share with my travel companions!
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

WOW. I have a rather opinionated view on smoking bans and bans in general. However I can't help but think that they are indirectly attached to marijuana usage. I live in NYC and once that smoking ban started here the entire landscape of "partying" changed. Basically if you can't smoke cigarettes how can you cover up the MJ smoke > You Can't.

In Colombia,South America they now have a ban on smoking in.....HOTELS !!!! How many of you would go to JA if you couldn't smoke in your ROOM which is an ENCLOSED PUBLIC AREA ?

I've said it before and I will say it again, "Smoking bans are a FOOT IN THE DOOR for a whole mess of new bans/laws to come". I'd rather that the citizens control the flow of smoke than the Govt.

The nanny state has reached Jamaica. Pitiful.

Jamaicans don't take things like this too lightly so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Last edited by Sonero; 11-11-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

There seems much ado about a rather common sense measure. The parliamentary committee, which received several submissions from a range of stakeholders and interest groups, voted to allow all businesses, including hotels, the right to establish outdoor designated smoking areas for their patrons.

Even the major local cigarette manufacturer, Carreras, doesnt seem to mind the new regulations:

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ews/news1.html

As for the "ganja connection" being leveled, I think the exact opposite is true. Jamaica is quickly attempting to decriminalize ganja as this article from last month states:

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead3.html

Shakespeare said it best, much ado about nothing...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Also, as for how the enforcement is taking place. Should an officer catch a smoker, the smoker is first notified that it is illegal to smoke in the area where they are, and to put the cigarette out. If the smoker refuses, that is when the officer will take matters into their legal hands and issue the fine.

A bus load of folks at Sumfest got into this trouble when they were asked to put out their cigarettes and refused. Needless to say they were all fined...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    A bus load of folks at Sumfest got into this trouble when they were asked to put out their cigarettes and refused. Needless to say they were all fined...
    Where were they smoking ? I assume that it was an outdoor event.

User Info Menu

I don't know what the big deal about this is.Even here in Canada you can't smoke at outdoor events unless it is in a designated area set aside specifically for this.If you want to smoke,go to the area for it.