Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: money in negril

User Info Menu

money in negril

do I need to exchange U.S. money to Jamaica money. or can I get around on my credit card?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: money in negril

While more places are accepting credit cards, you will find that most smaller places do not. You will need cash for most bars and restaurants and smaller stores.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Well thats true , but Doctor Quality & Fay Art Gallery and Variety stores accept all major Credit cards and cash

User Info Menu

All places accept US dollars; you don't necessarily have to exchange to local currency. By doing so, however, you will save a little money as a lot of local places are cheaper using Jamaican dollars. As Rob said, most smaller businesses do not accept credit cards, with Doctor Quality & Fay Art Gallery and Variety stores being an exception.

User Info Menu

You could do fine with US$, but you do save a little if you use JA$. I always use JA$ because it is just easier for me.
    Coral Cove (Little Bay) '08, Rooms '09, CCLP '10, Sunquest '11, CCLP '12, Palms '13, Fun Holiday '14, Palms and Seastar '15

Administrator

User Info Menu

There are more "exceptions" happening everyday. Dudley from Big Ship Tours now accepts credit cards, and even smaller stores such as L&M next to the No Limit Bar accepts cards. Of course hotels and their bars and restaurants will accept credit cards. But as a general rule, cash is king...

Most places are giving between j$95 and j$100 to us$1 at the moment. If you have a no-fee ATM card, you can get cash at any ATM at the inter-bank rate which is currently j105 to us1.

Most Cambios are currently giving 102 to 1.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I use both $J and $US. My rule of thumb is if the prices are listed in $J pay with $J if listed in $US pay with $US. Thus avoiding any potential exchange issues.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Being from Canada, I have gotten to the point where I don't use any USD at all...unless I take ~$50 worth to get me started until I can get to an ATM or cambio (outside of the airport). I have JMD leftover from my last trip so it'll be JMD all the way for my upcoming trip. If quoted USD at restaurants or for excursions, I ask for the price in JMD. Most times you save money using JMD. True or not, I believe that using JMD is better for their economy and that if most people used it, it would benefit Jamaicans in the long run. Sadly though, it seems that USD is becoming more widely used by tourists all the time. As is the situation with imported foods, Jamaican farmers suffer. I say buy local and use local currency whenever possible, it's just the right thing to do.

User Info Menu

Can't agree more Melody. I truly believe using JA is better for their economy. We either bring it home with us or get it from the bank before we go.

User Info Menu

Don't forget that a large number of banks charge a service fee on each transaction for using cards internationally.