Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Building on leased land?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Building on leased land?

Hello,

I've just returned from another extended visit to JA. This time I decided that I'm going to build a 2 BR cabin in the area I've been visiting for years (Broughton). I am young so not wanting to get over my head I don't intend to buy land or build a large concrete house. Instead, I have worked out a lease with a good friend of mine that seems very reasonable, $450 annual for 1.3 acres mostly beach front. Everything seems to be in place for me to start investing in the project. So I wanted to know if anyone here has experience building on a leased plot of land?

Here is the basic plan:

Sign lease and take control of 1.3 acre mostly beach front
    Level the property with multiple loads of "maul" or dirt as I call it...
    Pour concrete foundation
    Have 2, 12 x 24 board houses delivered from Little London and set on foundation
    Attach houses, add bathroom and finish the cabin
    Landscape the property
    Enjoy my beach cabin in paradise

Sounds simple enough but I realize there is much more to it than that. I have created a fairly detailed budget which can be adjusted once I start pricing materials more thoroughly. Based off the figures I have received and what others in the area have spent, the whole project shouldn't cost more than $12k but I am allowing $15k-$16k US. I have already met with a real estate attorney who will be drawing up the lease. I went to the company in Little London who builds and delivers the houses to work out prices. Another good friend of many years is my contractor and he is the most reliable Jamaican I've ever met. My father and I will be pouring the foundation as well as doing much of the interior work. There is plenty of labor available in the immediate area and my gardener is another friend of a few years.

After speaking to some expat friends who live in the same area, I feel good about having all the pieces in place but all of them bought land and built larger houses. I guess I am looking for some feedback from other expats who have done something similar. Any insight in appreciated.

Bless up!
    Last edited by Beach Bum; 06-03-2011 at 09:57 AM.