Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

User Info Menu

Re: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

"...stay connected to your financial institution." That's nice to hear from a banker. Seems like I'm talking to mine more than anyone else these days, almost daily, or multiple times! But I'm sure in light of things like risks of $thou$and$ in fraud transactions, its worth it for banks to have staff to handle the calls. Funny, they shrunk the in-person availability and now need more phone staff. Appreciate your input jamaicajeanne!

User Info Menu

Just to try and get a understanding as to what is going on here. Where is everyone from that is getting scammed, I know there are a few people from the US including Lola. In Canada we have been using the chips in our cards for a couple of years now and I do not recall anyone from here losing money but hard to say because not everyone is showing their country in their profile.

I have been using my debit card and credit card in Negril and have had no issues whatsoever. I use my debit only at the Scotia Bank ATM to withdraw cash and credit cards for my hotels and diners at the nicer restaurants.

User Info Menu

Have you used it recently, meinvancouver? I'm trying to figure it all out also... haha

[/url]

User Info Menu

Jenn last time was Nov 2015, we are going back in April and I am not really worried at this point. Have an account with Scotia (Tangerine) and had no problem withdrawing money the past couple of years.

User Info Menu

We are from Wisconsin and while I am not blaming Jamaica for the fraud that occurred 5 weeks after our return, I believe that is the source of our fraud - I base that on the fact that both my husband and I had fraudulent activity that occurred on the same dates at St James/Texaco via scotia bank and our debit cards are from two different banks. We don't use ATMs at home, but did use them in Negril. That would be too much of a coincidence for even Vegas to lay odds on Also - we both have the chipped cards and only used the cards at ATMS, not at any businesses.

User Info Menu

We used my chipped debit card from our little local credit union twice at Scotia Bank ATM at the roundabout and twice at the Times Square ATM, and also a couple of times at an ATM IN MoBay. Happy to report we've been home 2 weeks and no suspicious activity with our checking account. Yay!

User Info Menu

mi can't wait till mi reach home to check mi bank balance since mi usually here for 3 months at a time......
    mi would recommend checking bank balances while you here.....if you dare......lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

Administrator

User Info Menu

It is not a coincidence, but the Vegas odds would be on the international card authorization service center in Brazil, not Jamaica. All international card transactions in the Caribbean are processed there. It is the regional clearinghouse.

Local cards are not processed through that Brazil center but locally on the island. They are not having this problem. I use my local debit card daily all over the island at ATMs, stores, banks, etc and have seen no problems, nor have anyone I know who use theirs had an issue. But if they use their international cards (Visa/MC/etc), that is when they see it.

It is only when these cards are processed through the Brazil center when the problem occurs. That is one constant in this scam. As some have pointed out, transactions as far have Belgium have taken place after a card was used in the Caribbean. The scammers try to stay one step ahead of the security, which is only as good as the person(s) who designed it.

Keep checking your bank statements and check them online at a secure location - that is always wise advice in this age of almost pure plastic transactions... jamaicajeanne explains it from a banking insiders perspective.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Although I have participated in the "your information is not secure!" conversation on this board, I think it is important to remember that millions of cards are used every day around the world without any issues. I would NOT hesitate to use my cards in most places, I just prefer to bring the cash I think I need and save the cards for any emergency I may encounter. Using cash, helps me to keep my vacation within the budget I have set for myself.

I will continue to advise that you chat with your bank before traveling internationally and know their specific policy. Make an informed decision and remain vigilant over your account. Keep your daily limits low to prevent having your account instantly wiped out and check your account on a regular basis.....being informed helps keep you safer.

Cool runnings!!
    Last edited by jamaicajeanne; 03-02-2016 at 10:18 AM.

User Info Menu

In addition to having the number for your bank, carry the number/know the procedure to call to change your debit PIN over the phone. I think this can only be done over the phone.

If you want to use your Credit card as emergency backup for ATM, and never had a PIN for it (or can't find it/need a new one), you can request one, but they are sent to you by MAIL, plan ahead.