Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just got back home....

User Info Menu

Re: Just got back home....

Hey Mike_D....Yes, Rob might be more informed on this area. When we were there, we stopped by the Elvis & Laura love lane. The bar we got beers at was called "Juliette's" If I remember correctly. Hey folks we are winding down! WEDNESDAY MARCH 1: Up at 7:38. Coffee down by the gazebo. Today we leave NTH, and move to "Rooms". We booked the BIG catamaran Tortuga. Denny & Tami are coming along. We haven't been on a catamaran for about 6 years. Had our BIG breakfast at NTH. Did I mention that the callaloo is great? We said some goodbyes to the staff. We called our taxi driver to come pick us up. We get to Rooms, and the check-in was just fine, even though our room was not ready. No worries mon'. We left all of our luggage in the lobby, and headed down to Margaritaville to get on the Tortuga. Jimmy's was really full of party people. Crazy busy...DJ Blaze was getting the girls all pumped up with the booty shaking....shot shot shots!!! The yellow Tortuga is a 70 footer, and was full. We took off for the coral reefs for snorkeling first. {No booze til after snorkeling} It was cool, seen some colorful fish. Then it's party time! Got two hands? Get two drinks!! Rum punch, Red Stripe etc. Some of the young girls liked the pole dancing...Denny and I didn't look. ..#@&*%$!
    Ge to Rick's Café, and as usual it's packed. Everybody got off to get on the skiff o go into Rick's. We stayed on the cat. after all we paid for the open bar, why go into Rick's and fork over a bunch more cash? Tight wads we are. Time to head back, we got everybody back, I think. It started to rain. A good trip. Get back to Rooms. Our luggage is in our room. Nice room #2102. two beds, 2nd floor overlooking the road. Kinda noisy. The shower is fancy! We go back down to the beach, go over to Woodstock, and run into Jeff from Kentucky, and Luciano is performing at Roots Bamboo.
    Jeff said, let's go watch the concert through the "peep" holes in the blue tarp that surrounds Roots. That's Jamaican style! Only stayed for a bit, as we were still feelin' the rum punches from the boat trip. Can't remember if we ate or not....nighty night! Wednesday in the books mon' Yamon'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    Great reporting, as always!

So, this "Shantytown" has generated quite a bit of controversy on the Trip Advisor Forums. Is this really the name of the community or is it a name made up by Pub Crawl patrons? I have not been there on the tour, but have seen pictures and to me it looks no different than, say, Red Ground or Sheffield. Seems to me that maybe some participants of the One Love Bus stopped at this bar (which is actually called Bridgette's) and described the area as a "Shantytown" in a TA review. From there, other reviewers and pub crawlers just ran with it. I would be interested to hear how this community is described locally, from Rob or others that stay in Negril long term.
    I saw that controversy on TA too, but didn't want to get "attacked" for chiming in We've been on the pub crawl for the past 4 years. On our second and third trips, the bus went to "Shantytown", which is actually what Lenbert called it. I'm pretty sure that it's just a community nearby Negril, similar to the Red Ground neighborhood and not really named Shantytown. But I could not tell you exactly where we were. The first time we went it was a little chaotic and I think a lot of the pub crawlers were shocked at what they saw outside of the tourist areas or AI that they were used to. I am always shocked at how many tourists get down with the dogs and cats, petting them and kissing them on the pub crawl - eek! I'm not a germaphobe, but I'm also not a cat or dog lover either. Actually, I prefer the dogs and cats of Ja because they aren't "Americanized" and they leave me alone LOL!

BTW - Thanks for the great TR rocknrollfarmer!

User Info Menu

Ahhhhh.... So many nights you don't remember, with friends you will never forget !!!

( I stole that one from you Momthor !!! )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollfarmer View Post
    Hey Mike_D....Yes, Rob might be more informed on this area. When we were there, we stopped by the Elvis & Laura love lane. The bar we got beers at was called "Juliette's" If I remember correctly. Hey folks we are winding down! WEDNESDAY MARCH 1: Up at 7:38. Coffee down by the gazebo. Today we leave NTH, and move to "Rooms". We booked the BIG catamaran Tortuga. Denny & Tami are coming along. We haven't been on a catamaran for about 6 years. Had our BIG breakfast at NTH. Did I mention that the callaloo is great? We said some goodbyes to the staff. We called our taxi driver to come pick us up. We get to Rooms, and the check-in was just fine, even though our room was not ready. No worries mon'. We left all of our luggage in the lobby, and headed down to Margaritaville to get on the Tortuga. Jimmy's was really full of party people. Crazy busy...DJ Blaze was getting the girls all pumped up with the booty shaking....shot shot shots!!! The yellow Tortuga is a 70 footer, and was full. We took off for the coral reefs for snorkeling first. {No booze til after snorkeling} It was cool, seen some colorful fish. Then it's party time! Got two hands? Get two drinks!! Rum punch, Red Stripe etc. Some of the young girls liked the pole dancing...Denny and I didn't look. ..#@&*%$!
    Ge to Rick's Café, and as usual it's packed. Everybody got off to get on the skiff o go into Rick's. We stayed on the cat. after all we paid for the open bar, why go into Rick's and fork over a bunch more cash? Tight wads we are. Time to head back, we got everybody back, I think. It started to rain. A good trip. Get back to Rooms. Our luggage is in our room. Nice room #2102. two beds, 2nd floor overlooking the road. Kinda noisy. The shower is fancy! We go back down to the beach, go over to Woodstock, and run into Jeff from Kentucky, and Luciano is performing at Roots Bamboo.
    Jeff said, let's go watch the concert through the "peep" holes in the blue tarp that surrounds Roots. That's Jamaican style! Only stayed for a bit, as we were still feelin' the rum punches from the boat trip. Can't remember if we ate or not....nighty night! Wednesday in the books mon' Yamon'
    we usually stay in room 2102 or 2103 for the road entertainment at Rooms, soon come

User Info Menu

THURSDAY MARCH 4: Up at 7:30. Walked around the property for the first time. Went down for the breakfast. Had coffee. Rooms has some fruit, cereal and a hard boiled egg? Oh and some toast. After all that....hung out by the pool & beach area. We took a walk down to the gift shop at Merills 3, to exchange a top Deb had gotten, but didn't fit so good. No problem mon'. Had to have a morning dirty banana at Yellow Bird. They are good in the morning! Go ahead, it's ok. Got back to Rooms, and Denny & Tami were waiting for us, then we all walked back down to Bourbon Beach and Alfred's. We were hungry, and have never had the fish & chips at Alfred's ...so we did! I had a large double rum punch at Bourbon Beach. D+ T left, and we made plans to meet back later at Drifter's for the afternoon music. We went there later, and it started to rain. A lot! Rain is a good thing. The rain finally stopped, and Luddy started the show. We kinda figured D + T wouldn't come down, so we left and bar hopped on the way back to Arthur's and Sunnyside, then continued on to NTH, and found the kids at their room on the balcony working on the booze they brought from home. {no sense taking that back home...right?} Then lo and behold, it got dark on us, so we figured we'd better head back. {forgot our flashlight again!" Get back to Rooms, and we are bushed.
    Need some food, Deb didn't want to go anywhere, so I walked across the street to Coletta's, and from Arlene's recommendation, ordered the medium fried chicken meal with fries and rice and peas. And the Tuna sandwich with fries, and rice & peas. That's a lot of food, and cheap! I highly recommend the tuna sandwich from Coletta's! Another day in paradise in the books! The week is just flying by! We are going to have to start to face reality pretty soon {going home}. Sleepy time. Yamon'

User Info Menu

FRIDAY MARCH 3: Up early, I skipped the hard boiled egg at breakfast. We just hung out at the beach, then walked to the left, down to Bourbon Beach. I wanted Deb to take my picture with me on the stage doing my best Bob Marley impression. Oh, by the way my favorite BM song is "Waiting in Vain". They are all good. Then....guess who we run in to??? Those crazy kids from South Dakota! D + T! So, what the heck, we've only been drinking for 18 days now, why stop now? Another "walkin'" Rum punch from Bourbon Beach, and a few Red Stripes. I brought along those big styrofoam cups from home. They work good for "walkin' drinks" {Thanks fargoman! He's so smart!} Today is music day at The Boat Bar. I called Kevin Sterling to come there to sing. They had a really good crowd. It was Otis day, Crystal was there and some guy who tried....Frank was great on the trumpet as usual. Deb, Tami & Denny left, and I waited for Kevin to show up. Kevin came by, but there might have been some tension....competition? So, he didn't get to sing, and left, and so did I. Whatever! Then we ran into those campground people from Canada. Must try to remember their names. They are a hoot! You Canadian folks are great! And from what I've been asking them about their health care system...they are ok with it! Actually, another couple said "they loved it". Hello? Hello? America! We made it back home to Rooms, and we went over to Coletta's {again}. Ordered the Chicken Penne pasta. OMG it was good! Oh geez, look at the time...9:30!!! Time for bed. Tomorrow we go home...now reality is setting in. Yamon'

User Info Menu

Thanks for the report! I really enjoyed it!

[/url]

User Info Menu

Ok Ok..Let's wrap this up, shall we? SATURDAY MARCH 4: Going home today. Well, we are packed, and ready to go I guess. 11:30 pickup with "Pampy" our new friend for rides. Really nice guy. 3:30 flight back to Mpls. After the meager breakfast {respectfully}. Man, I sure missed the steamed callaloo. I went to go say some goodbyes. Walked on the beach road down to the Boat Bar, said goodbye to Joe Isaacks. Like talking music with him. Studio one...man. Look it up on Wikipedia. We didn't see Denny + Tami, they are staying for two more days. I went to find Jeff from Kentucky, he was having breakfast at the Blue Mountain coffee shop, we walked over to Cayenne beach, where the Stepping high Ganja fest is starting today, and tomorrow. We had our picture taken in front of the advertising billboards. Special. Bid our farewells til next time. Lenbert had called earlier to say, he was coming down also to say goodbye, but he found out the batteries on the one love bus went dead, so he had to scramble to fix the situation, as he had a tour going in a little while. Stuff happens...like on our farm. There's always a dead battery on something. Time to go...Pampy is here, and off we go. Nice ride back to Mobay. The airport is jam packed with people. We had tried the ClubMobay on the arrival, and also had it booked for the departure. Good thing. You get to go in the fast lane, past everybody else, and then ushered to the lounge. The food and drinks are very good! Oh, before I forget....I never did find Janarder! Maybe next reach? Our flight was delayed for about 45 minutes.
    It's a busy Saturday, what with the coming and going of flights from all over the world. We get back to Minneapolis about 7:30. Back to the park n fly hotel, too tired to drive the 4 hour trip back home, so we stayed over. So, there you go folks. Our 20 day Negril trip and 4 resorts. Hope you liked our trip report, and thanks for coming along on the ride with us! Already thinking and wondering about the next trip! Have PNS now. {Post Negril syndrome} For you nice people going to Negril soon...Walk good and cool runnings. Yamon' outta here...{mic drop}

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing your great report Farmer.20 days,i would need a spare liver or 2 for that long!! We stayed 14 days at Hedo one time and were ready to head home in 12,i guess it's about pacing yourself but at that time we were not good at that.Hope we get to meet y'all one day,sounds like your our groups kind of party people,although when you retire at 10ish we may have to stay up a bit latter to make sure we don't miss anything!

User Info Menu

Loved your trip report. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*