Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

User Info Menu

Re: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

plondig,same thing to happened to me about 3 weeks after coming home and giving dates to the credit union of when i would be away. also i get direct deposit on many checks and really don't have the cash for a long trip

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pine tree john View Post
    I had 0 luck using debit card in any atm(all scotia) during our trip 2/3 2/17
    I was 3 for 4 on my attempts at the main scotia bank. I had bank issues from my home on a Sat., but was able to call and get it rectified. I tried 4 times and gave up before getting a hold of someone. I was in a total panic as I was down to $20 american. I was charged by my bank for those 4 attempts(will get a refund). Scotia was out of money on Sunday. Scotia limited me to about $110 american per trans action which sucked because of added fees per occurrence. I was getting $110 ja when the exchange rate was at $117 at a small grocery store. I will gladly give the small local grocer the difference because I dont use time,taxi to get to a bank,no worries about atm BS and would rather see a small mom and pop store make the difference. Next time I bring cash. No BS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamaicajeanne View Post
    I have been sitting at my bankers desk (I am a banker, LOL) for the past 16 years.
    jamaicajeanne, what are the 'authorities' who set up VISA/MC processors doing to intercept the code-hacking that is occurring within the software? For example, the Brazilian processor for the Caribbean/Latin America? This is a new method they have found to exploit and is flourishing.

Also, do the banks have to eat the costs or do they recoup from VISA & MC?

User Info Menu

Pine Tree, No real answer for you on this one. Usually when there is no record of the attempted transaction it means that the networks could not connect. There could be lots of explanations but generally it is an "offline" situation.
    John, and others who said they could not get cash, it may have been the machine was out, which can happen especially during holiday or celebratory times (aka Bob Marley birthday 1st week in Feb). They do service and refill the machines frequently; I find going back an hour or so later it is able to dispense again.

User Info Menu

Lola, I am not sure what the processors are doing to intercept the code hacking, but is it an ongoing battle with new information sent out daily. Most processors are now issuing the new chip cards which add an additional layer of security. With a regular card, your personal information is stored in the magnetic strip on the back of the card. The chip cards keep your most sensitive information stored in the chip and it issues a one time use code instead of using all of your personal data in every transaction.

Individual banks eat the cost of debit card fraud. This is why I do not give my clients a choice to keep the card open once fraud is discovered. We currently pay for 2 distinct "extra" layers of security. One is the transaction scoring system and the other is the system that will not allow the card to be used internationally unless we have prior notice. This allows us to take a very active role in attempting to deter fraud. The client also has to be diligent....be aware of your surroundings, protect your pin, watch your account, etc. In addition, if you are traveling internationally and using your debit card, it is important that you "stay connected" and check your phone for calls from the bank or fraud department or check your account with web access. We do everything we can to try to protect you, but we need your assistance too. For example, before we halted international transactions, we had a client travel to Thailand. They used the ATM in the airport after landing and never checked their account for the rest of the trip. A month later, we were alerted that the card had been skimmed and was being used in Italy. The transactions totaled $65,000 (US)....our loss.

I completely understand why so many want to use their cards while traveling, but you need to be aware of the potential risk you are taking. It is also very important that you understand what measures your bank is taking to try to protect you by talking to someone at your bank who specialized in debit cards. It is all very frustrating to need to "stay connected", but it is for your protection that we take these measures.

Debit cards also have daily use limits. I hear frustrations from clients all of the time..."it is my money and I don't want a limit on my card". The daily limit is another layer of protection and helps to protect your account from being instantly wiped out. Our cards default to a daily limit of $310. This limit can be adjusted up or down in minutes if you give us a call. My recommendations to everyone are to set your daily limits low and stay connected to your bank if you are using your card internationally.

It is also important to keep in mind that this is not just an issue with Jamaica. It is an issue world wide and their is no easy answer at this time.

Cool runnings!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yetta View Post
    Just spoke to the gentleman at our local bank regarding our 3 fraudulent withdrawals. At least 2 of them were processed in Brussels, Belgium of all places. Just to note, our debit card was not used anywhere in JA..except at 2 ATM"S in Negril. It was always locked in a safe and never carried with us, except to the ATM....and then we would return to the room and lock up the cash and the debit card.

I don't know if this info is helpful to anyone, but those with expertise in the digital world we live in...maybe so. IF someone has any input, please let us know. Peace out...and a shout to Bnewb...you are very welcome.
    There are so many ways your information can be obtained if you are a target. Maybe your credit card was skimmed or scanned. Or, maybe you have been made a victim of one of thousands of other attacks. In this digital age, your data and privacy isn't secure. http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...reaches-hacks/

Could this have happened in JA? Yes. Could it also be coincidence? Yes.

For those that have inquired about liability for debit cards where a pin may be compromised, below is information regarding USA federal laws:
    May 19, 2015 8:34 pm ET

Federal rules allow significant liability for fraudulent debit-card transactions that aren’t reported in a timely manner.

With debit cards, the CFPB says that “if an unauthorized transaction appears on your statement (but your card or PIN has not been lost or stolen), under federal law you will not be liable for the debit if you report it within 60 days after your account statement is sent to you.”

The rules are different if the card or PIN has been lost or stolen: Report the problem within two business days and liability is limited to $50 of unauthorized charges. Then the maximum liability rises to $500.

“If any unauthorized charges go unreported for more than 60 days,” the CFPB says, “your money, and future charges by the same person, could be lost.”
    http://blogs.wsj.com/totalreturn/201...-credit-cards/

As many have suggested, opening a temporary bank account may be a viable option. Alternatively, you can check you online account frequently and report fraudulent activity as soon as it occurs.
    Last edited by BrianJM; 03-01-2016 at 01:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Good info BrianJM!
    It is also imperative that you understand your specific bank's policies regarding fraudulent debit card transactions. Although the Federal rules are listed above, many financial institutions (including the one I work for) follow the $0 liability rules of Visa and MasterCard even for a pin based transaction. Credit Unions operate under a different set of guidelines.
    Last edited by jamaicajeanne; 03-01-2016 at 04:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Good info BrianJM!
    It is also imperative that you understand your specific bank's policies regarding fraudulent debit card transactions. Although the Federal rules are listed above, many financial institutions (including the one I work for) follow the $0 liability rules of Visa and MasterCard even for a pin based transaction. Credit Unions operate under a different set of guidelines.
    jamaicajeanne, I just saw your post above mine. Daily limits are also a good idea.

You are correct. Each institution has different policies. It's hard to keep track of them.

Here is the best I could find relating to Visa and MasterCard:

http://www.visasecuritysense.com/en_...#ZeroLiability
    This actually states that ATM & PIN-based transactions are not covered. Maybe it's out of date?

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/abou...onditions.html
    This is not explicit, but other articles indicate that MasterCard offers zero-liability on all transactions. With that in mind, it does say that the cardholder should promptly report the incident (which implies federal law?).

User Info Menu

It is definitely difficult to keep track of all of the changing rules and regulations. This thread has caused me to re think all of the procedures I thought I understood. As I think about all of the situations I have encountered as an employee of a financial institution, I have to admit that we have seen very few pin based fraud transactions. Generally, when the card is compromised, we see international fraud where a card has actually been duplicated and is being used as POS (point of sale using a vendor). We also see a lot of fraudulent internet transactions that are usually being processed outside of the US. We were able to gain some control over this by implementing no international transactions without prior authorization.

I went out on the internet looking for 2016 $0 liability rules. It appears as though Master Card has changed to $0 liability for some pin based transactions and Visa lists a lengthy list of hoops to jump through for $0 liability on pin based transactions. Our institution abides by the $0 liability....for example if you live in the US and you are at my desk and we are seeing international ATM transactions, there is definitely some fraudulent activity occurring. We have you sign a dispute form, provide you with provisional credit and allow the card companies to investigate the "fraud". I have only seen one case where the consumer did not get to keep their provisional credit...in that case, they rented a U-Haul, used the U-Haul for the day and upon returning the U-Haul, complained to a manager that they received poor service. The manager indicated that they would receive a credit and when they did not get the credit, came to us. We followed the dispute process and Visa decided that they indeed used the service and should pay the cost.

We live in a world where our information is definitely not secure! I am anxiously awaiting the decision with the FBI trying to force Apple to write new codes that will make our phone information even more available.

Putting information out regarding fraud helps us to be more informed consumers, but will not stop the fraud. We need to become more proactive and protect ourselves.....maybe not use debit cards on the internet or at an ATM in downtown Negril or Timbuktu? I guess the thing I wish people understood is that it is not just Jamaica.....it is everywhere.

We have become so accustomed to having immediate access to our money that we do not even stop to think about the consequences of swiping our cards. I have visited Jamaica often and have never found the need to use my debit card. I am one of those people who use cash, however carrying cash also presents security issues and headaches. Again, the best advice I can provide is to know what your bank's policies are so you can make an informed decision, keep your daily limits low and even though you are on vacation, stay connected to your financial institution.

User Info Menu

I guess the thing I wish people understood is that it is not just Jamaica.....it is everywhere.

Again, the best advice I can provide is to know what your bank's policies are so you can make an informed decision, keep your daily limits low and even though you are on vacation, stay connected to your financial institution.
    Exactly!

I had my AMEX skimmed/scanned/duplicated in the USA about a year ago, and I am very security-conscious.