Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian killed on westend friday night.

User Info Menu

Re: Canadian killed on westend friday night.

That is a great role of Negril.com. Thank you. I hope my views can change. My mind is open. My heart is saddened. I pray that my mind will change and I can again feel safe to return to my home away from home, a place I have visited over 30 times.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
    Undercover must not be that undercover and if they are undercover how would the bad guys know of their presence? Seems a real overt presence would be more impactful. If I do not see the police because they are undercover them I feel emboldened to shoot. Seeing police will stop the trigger.
    Maybe an undercover or former undercover cop can come in and answer this one... and Bob, I never feel emboldened to shoot...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

You are not a bad guy. Bad guys feel emboldened perhaps when they see no police. You knew what I meant Rob.

User Info Menu

My sincere condolences to the family of the young Canadian man that died a violent death. My heartfelt sorrow escalates each and every time such a tragic crime occurs in Jamaica, be it perpetrated against a citizen or foreign visitor.
    So many people have worked so hard for so long to build a Nation that people from all over the world should be able to visit in peace and safety.
    Many of us on this board can sense the devastating consequences of such horrid acts of wanton violence. Many of us, I am sure worry for our Jamaican friends, be it for their livelihood and/or their safety and well being. Many of us are questioning how safe we really are when we visit our beloved Jamaica.
    Godspeed to the Jamaican people in their efforts to eradicate such violent senseless crimes.
    May the resolve of the Jamaican people be strong and united in their fight against such senseless acts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    My sincere condolences to the family of the young Canadian man that died a violent death. My heartfelt sorrow escalates each and every time such a tragic crime occurs in Jamaica, be it perpetrated against a citizen or foreign visitor.
    So many people have worked so hard for so long to build a Nation that people from all over the world should be able to visit in peace and safety.
    Many of us on this board can sense the devastating consequences of such horrid acts of wanton violence. Many of us, I am sure worry for our Jamaican friends, be it for their livelihood and/or their safety and well being. Many of us are questioning how safe we really are when we visit our beloved Jamaica.
    Godspeed to the Jamaican people in their efforts to eradicate such violent senseless crimes.
    May the resolve of the Jamaican people be strong and united in their fight against such senseless acts.
    (Rumor removed - please refrain from posting rumor and/or speculation) most of us here have walked the west end road at 9 pm as well so I feel I must tell this story. There is a huge police presence here as I am driving and many check points.
    There is too much violence every where these days.

User Info Menu

Canadian man killed in Negril robbery
    1:29 pm, Sat June 11, 2016
    /assets/img/stories/display_pic/default_story_img.jpg
    A Canadian man was killed early Saturday during a robbery in West End, Negril, Westmoreland.

He has been identified as Dennis Palakai, 35, of a Toronto address.

Reports are that shortly after 3am Palakai and his girlfriend were walking to their hotel from a bar on the West End main road when men drove up on a motorcycle and grabbed the woman's handbag.

Palakai intervened and was shot. He was pronounced dead at hospital.

The woman was not hurt.

It's understood that they were repeat visitors to Jamaica.

Very sad to hear this, but if it turns out to be a robbery at least it's not a random killing. I think police presence needs to be in place to make tourists feel safe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cleome View Post
    Canadian man killed in Negril robbery
    1:29 pm, Sat June 11, 2016
    /assets/img/stories/display_pic/default_story_img.jpg
    A Canadian man was killed early Saturday during a robbery in West End, Negril, Westmoreland.

He has been identified as Dennis Palakai, 35, of a Toronto address.

Reports are that shortly after 3am Palakai and his girlfriend were walking to their hotel from a bar on the West End main road when men drove up on a motorcycle and grabbed the woman's handbag.

Palakai intervened and was shot. He was pronounced dead at hospital.

The woman was not hurt.

It's understood that they were repeat visitors to Jamaica.

Very sad to hear this, but if it turns out to be a robbery at least it's not a random killing. I think police presence needs to be in place to make tourists feel safe.
    Cleome...if you read the entire thread here on Negril.com there are links provided with updated information. Much of the information in your news story is incorrect.

User Info Menu

Rob you ask where is the logic in bringing up Boston but scolding you and others for comparing Orlando terrorist act to the lawlessness of Negril. Come on. I brought up the murder rate related to an entire year in Boston. It was nothing like the Orlando comparison that you defend based on my Boston reference. You should know that and you appear not logical in your scolding of me in this regard. You asked where is the logic and I can see you may have trouble seeing it. I did not bring up the Marathon bombing.

User Info Menu

Yes robbery is better than killing for no reason but to kill. I doubt this particular tourist was sought out. It was a random person who was robbed. We are mostly all random tourists and I would argue random targets these sad days.

User Info Menu

I understand Lisa that no determination has been made as to motive and I appreciate your keeping the facts straight as they should be to be fair to this issue. I was simply pointing out that if robbery was identified as basis for murder then I feel no safer than if it were simply random killing. Again, I think Negril.com is doing a great service by allowing this discourse to be transparent in the spirit of bringing a resolution to what concerns so many. Thank you and prayers for the victim and his family and for bringing back Negril to the paradise place we all know it can be. My loyalty has always been with the Jamaican paradise and its people. That is why I over and over again return there rather than to somewhere else. I believe maybe this event will represent a tipping point to better security.