Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunsets, Rum, Sand and Gizzadas 97 Days in Negril

User Info Menu

Re: * * * * * * Sunsets, Rum, Sand and Gizzadas – 97 Days in Negril * * * * * *

Quote Originally Posted by poolguywindsor View Post
    Learn something new every day, I always thought beaver tails were just a deep fried piece of dough with sugar, kinda like an elephant ear!
    Before I carry on any further, I’ve got to come clean on something – the beaver tail post I put up last night wasn’t entirely truthful. While it is true that a beaver tail is a flat piece of deep fried dough that comes with different toppings, it is not true that Canucks go out and club baby beavers, cut off their tails and bar-b-que them. I was just having some fun; the Appleton made me do it.

The weather has turned hot and clear again, but there is a nice breeze. This morning was a gym morning. As we walked there we noticed that there are noticeably more people in Negril; tourists and locals alike. Must be the pre-Christmas rush. There were a lot of people on our local road. They all seemed cheery and full of smiles. Even the guy that offers us opium every time he sees us was happier than usual.

Arriving at the gym we saw that we had it to ourselves. We turned the temp down on the A/C and cranked up the music. Cool. We had it to ourselves the whole time we were there. Bea was bopping around the leg-press machine.

Here’s something I wrote a couple of days ago but didn’t get a chance to post yet.

Bea isn’t interested in going to the beach so I strike out on my own. It’s late afternoon. My mission is to hunt down JT. I want to have a couple of beers at sunset with him, he’s heading back home (Shrunken Bullocks, Winter Hell, Canada) on Saturday. I know he will be either at the Sunnyside bar or the Sun Beach bar or sitting in his chair at the Sea Splash bar or walking the beach in between – that’s his domain.

I walk down the road through my hood headed for One Love Drive in center town.

* * Don’t read this if you are squeamish. * * Really - go down to the photos.

Before getting into ‘town center’ I walk by the big parking lot out behind The Corner Bar which is located on One Love Drive just beyond Scotia Bank. The lot is really just a large expanse of compacted dirt broken by the occasional embedded lump of coral jutting out. There are a couple of trees in the middle of lot which stand out. They’re peculiar because they are situated pretty well in the center of the lot and there are no other trees around them. The trees are spaced about ten feet apart. A long board, a 4x4, has been bolted across the span between the trees, about eight feet off the ground. Several ropes hang from the boards. This is the place where the goats for the kitchen at The Corner Bar are slaughtered, skinned and butchered; right out there in the open. The goats are hung up, alive, by their hind legs and their necks are cut open with a very sharp machete. They are left hanging until they bleed out and die.

Yesterday Bea and I walked through the parking lot and past the hangin’ tree just as they were finishing up. There was a bloody goat hide lying on the ground beside one of the trees, already covered in a swarm of flies. A cardboard box nearby was loaded up with freshly cut up goat meat. A fellow was wiping off his machete.

Today, as I walk by the lot, I see a man leading a ram goat by a rope. The goat is straining at his tether, giving the trees a wide berth. Likely he can smell his impending death.

I point at the goat, “Is he going there?” I said, and then pointed at the tree.
    “I don’t know,” the man replied, “I was just told to bring him here.” I notice a route taxi parked nearby with the rear hatch standing open. Two teenage girls walking by notice the goat. They point at it and giggle.

. . . likkle more . . .

The hangin' tree

Name:  neg88.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  101.6 KB

This is the red roofed church that you can see from the beach when looking at Negril. Beautiful isn't it? We walk by this church every day. It is well maintained and has a comfy feel to it.
    Name:  neg23.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  96.9 KB

See the bell tower.
    Name:  neg23a.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  81.3 KB

Name:  neg66.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  103.4 KB
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

Great reporting. Love the greenery and the churchyard.

User Info Menu

K3 - I'm recently home after a short visit to negril and while the reentry process is always painful, your report is just what I needed. Thank you for taking the time to share with us. I love your writing style and sense of humor. Carry on...

User Info Menu

You're freaking out the Americans with your photos and descriptions of 'Beaver Tails'.

User Info Menu

You will get asked if you would like a hot beer or a cold beer. Cold is cold, hot is hot. Guinness hot is rather good.

User Info Menu

Glad to know all my Ottawa friends are not baby Beaver killers eating there tails!
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

I love beaver. Have since I was about 10. Didnt try it until I was about 15.
    Last edited by Flipadelphia26; 12-20-2013 at 09:13 AM.

User Info Menu

After reading about the beaver tails I was wondering if we would get any jackalope sightings next.

User Info Menu

Lmao.... Beaver lovers

User Info Menu

Hahaha Flip