Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any close calls on the 72 hour ?

User Info Menu

any close calls on the 72 hour ?

we fly out on Bob Marley birthday a sunday.
    recently went thru CvS FOR A COVID TEST . took 5 days to get back results so started thinking leaving on a sunday the earliest we can take the test is Thursday so if covid does not slow down that could cause a problem. any body have to miss a flight or just get results back in under the wire?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: any close calls on the 72 hour ?

5 days for an antigen test? That is next to useless.

If you were infected with Omicron you could be over your infection in 5 days....

According to the most recent data, Omicron has an average infection rate of 5.5 days.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    5 days for an antigen test? That is next to useless.

If you were infected with Omicron you could be over your infection in 5 days....

According to the most recent data, Omicron has an average infection rate of 5.5 days.
    Just wondering, does this mean an infected person can expect symptoms for an average duration of 5.5 days, or am I missing the point?

User Info Menu

Ugh this has me freaked out...we leave next Thursday morning, and our PCR appt at the CVS near us is Monday morning. I just gave them a call and asked if we should try to change to an antigen test (don't even know if that's possible), but the pharmacist said we should be fine, and we should stick with the plan. We'll see.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    Just wondering, does this mean an infected person can expect symptoms for an average duration of 5.5 days, or am I missing the point?
    On average, yes. The Delta variant was more like 15 days, thus the old 14 day quarantine....

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter141 View Post
    Ugh this has me freaked out...we leave next Thursday morning, and our PCR appt at the CVS near us is Monday morning. I just gave them a call and asked if we should try to change to an antigen test (don't even know if that's possible), but the pharmacist said we should be fine, and we should stick with the plan. We'll see.
    Wow! PCR testing is expensive and takes over 24 hours for a result. All you need is a much less and faster antigen test....

Think about getting a new pharmacist... what you are saying makes no pharmaceutical sense.

The difference between PCR and antigen tests are between 3 or 4 times the cost.... and a negative result gets you here either way.

User Info Menu

Yeaaaah, well...pretty much both are in low quantity around here, so I'm kind of stuck. Also it's not like I have a regular pharmacist, it's literally the CVS down the road from me. Also, the test is free and paid for by my insurance. Unfortunately, omicron is running rampant so things are a little hectic.

User Info Menu

Did the rapid antigen test two days out from trip so test would be valid if flight got delayed. Of course flight was canceled but we went in again and did another test just in case it got canceled again. A little pain in the butt but that's the way it is.

User Info Menu

I'm lucky. My wife is the nurse practitioner at the health dept where we get our PCR test. We have ours back overnight.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

have always done a pcr test at the local cvs here in east TN. this was the first time it took more than two days so I'm gonna check out where to receive an antigen test